HSN, Inc.: A Diamond In The Rough Retail Sector
Mon, Nov. 7, 12:44 PM
Mon, Nov. 7, 11:56 AM
- HSN (NASDAQ:HSNI) is off 10.4% and hitting five-year lows after Q3 results that featured tumbling net income after revenues fell 5% and missed.
- Net income fell 41% on a GAAP basis to $20.2M; adjusted net income dropped 27% to $27.2M.
- Average price point companywide was $61.75 (down 3%) and units shipped fell 2% to 14.9M. The company's gross profit rate fell 140 basis points to 34%, while return rate fell to 15.3% from 15.7%.
- Net sales breakout: HSN, $569.7M (down 4%); Cornerstone, $253.4M (down 8%). Operating income by segment: HSN, $47M (down 16%); Cornerstone, -$10.1M vs. a year-ago $1.6M.
- The company also named Carmen Bauza executive VP and chief merchandising officer, effective Nov. 28. She's had more than 30 years' experience with companies including Wal-Mart, L Brands, Five Below and Disney.
- Press Release
Mon, Nov. 7, 8:01 AM
Sun, Nov. 6, 5:30 PM| Sun, Nov. 6, 5:30 PM | 5 Comments
Thu, Sep. 22, 3:56 PM
- Liberty Interactive (QVCA +5%, LVNTA +1.9%) is on the climb today after CEO Greg Maffei suggested a turnaround in the company's revenue (and share price) fortunes.
- "We don't see any evidence of continuing declines below this level," Maffei said at the Communacopia Conference today. "In fact, we see some green shoots, suggesting upside."
- Shares of QVCA are down 28.5% YTD -- much of that coming after a Q2 earnings report where it noted growth falling off in the U.S.
- Asked about the company's discount to HSN (HSNI +2.9%) -- of which Liberty Interactive owns 38% -- Maffei says some may think Liberty may buy out HSN "at a big number," but denies that will happen.
- “If the numbers are right, we’ll do it, but we’re not gonna do it at some crazy multiple," Maffei says.
Fri, Sep. 2, 9:49 AM
Thu, Aug. 4, 8:05 AM
Wed, Aug. 3, 5:30 PM
- AAC, AAON, ACRE, ACTA, AGCO, AGIO, AKRX, ALSK, AMCX, AME, AMRN, ANIP, ANSS, APA, APLP, ARRY, AYR, BBW, BCE, BCRX, BDX, BLL, CBB, CCOI, CHD, CHK, CNNX, CNSL, COT, CPK, CRIS, CRZO, CTB, DNR, DUK, DW, ELOS, EPAM, ESNT, EVA, FMSA, GLDD, GLOG, GOGO, GTN, HAR, HGG, HII, HL, HMHC, HRC, HSC, HSIC, HSNI, ICPT, IMGN, IOC, IPCC, IRM, IT, ITCI, ITT, K, KOP, LBY, LFUS, LGND, LIOX, LPX, LQDT, LXRX, MFC, MGM, MGP, MITL, MMS, MNTA, MPEL, MPG, MPW, NAO, NERV, NGS, NOK, NSAM, NXTM, OGE, OMAM, OMF, ORBC, PBH, PCRX, PGNX, PGTI, PH, PLUG, PPP, PRFT, PRIM, PRTY, PWR, QSR, RDUS, REGN, RFP, RGEN, RLGY, ROLL, RVLT, RWLK, SBH, SEAS, SFM, SGM, SHLX, SNR, SPAR, SPH, SRE, SSTK, SSYS, STFC, STOR, STWD, TDY, TEVA, THS, TICC, TIME, TK, TNK, TOO, TSEM, TVPT, TWI, UAM, UNT, USAC, USCR, VIAB, VLP, VWR, WIN, WPC, WRK, XLRN
Wed, May 4, 8:03 AM
- HSN (NASDAQ:HSNI): Q1 EPS of $0.54 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $816.77M (-3.0% Y/Y) misses by $20.33M.
Tue, May 3, 5:30 PM
- AFAM, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, ASC, ATRO, AVA, AYR, BDC, BUD, CDW, CHH, CLH, CPK, CRK, CRL, CRTO, CRZO, CSTE, D, DLPH, DNOW, ECYT, EE, ENR, FUN, GEL, GNRC, GTE, HAIN, HE, HFC, HSC, HSNI, HTWR, HYH, ICE, INXN, IONS, IRT, KATE, KLIC, LGND, MEMP, MFA, MMP, MOS, MPW, MTOR, NBL, NGS, NJR, NRZ, NVMI, NXTM, OMF, ONCE, ORBK, PCG, PCLN, RDC, RDS.A, SBGI, SCMP, SE, SERV, SHOP, SMP, SPAR, SR, SRE, SSTK, STRA, TGH, TGI, TMHC, TREE, TWX, VIRT, VOYA, VSI, WD, WIX, ZTS
Tue, Mar. 8, 9:39 PM
- Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN) has wrapped the premiere of its daily live shopping program Style Code Live tonight, streaming from its website (and planned for weeknights at 9 p.m. ET).
- As opposed to typical "second screen" experiences that many TV programmers are pursuing, prompting viewers to watch TV along with interacting via a mobile device, Amazon's keeping it all on the website -- an interesting threat to traditional TV shopping channels like QVC (QVCA -2.1%) and Home Shopping Network (HSNI -2.5%).
- Three hosts invited designers and makeup artists to present and discuss women's fashion looks, complete with an active chat window alongside to bring live questions in, and links to every product (on Amazon, natch) in a "style carousel" just below the show screen. Even a song used during a show break spurs an Amazon MP3 purchase link.
- The closest the show got to typical QVC and Home Shopping Network pressures ("Just three minutes left!") was an offhand comment from one host to jump on a product before she bought them up. But of course Amazon is prepared to route as many items from the show as it can to eager shoppers.
Wed, Feb. 24, 8:12 AM
- HSN (NASDAQ:HSNI) declares $0.35/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 2.89%
- Payable March 23; for shareholders of record March 9; ex-div March 7.
Wed, Feb. 24, 8:03 AM
- HSN (NASDAQ:HSNI): Q4 EPS of $1.15 beats by $0.12.
- Revenue of $1.1B (-1.8% Y/Y) misses by $10M.
Tue, Feb. 23, 5:30 PM
Nov. 4, 2015, 8:02 AM
- HSN (NASDAQ:HSNI): Q3 EPS of $0.70 misses by $0.06.
- Revenue of $864.9M (+3.3% Y/Y) misses by $7.6M.
Nov. 3, 2015, 5:30 PM
- AFAM, AGN, AMRN, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, ARRY, AVA, AVP, AXAS, BDX, BIOS, BSFT, CBB, CDW, CECO, CHK, CLH, CRK, CRL, CRTO, CRZO, CST, CSTE, CTSH, DAVE, DDD, EE, EMES, FOR, FOXA, GDP, HAE, HEP, HMC, HSIC, HSNI, INXN, KELYA, KORS, LINC, LL, MEMP, MFA, MNTA, MSI, MWE, NAVB, NCT, NEWP, NRG, NYLD, REGN, SBGI, SCMP, SE, SHOP, SNH, SODA, SSYS, STNG, TESO, TMHC, TWX, USAK, VG, VOYA, VRTU, VSI, WCG, WD, WEC, WEN, WILN, WIX, WMC