Stephen Simpson, CFA
Feb. 12, 2014, 7:32 AM
- Hospira, Inc. (HSP): Q4 EPS of $0.51 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $1.08B (-1.3% Y/Y) beats by $20M.
Feb. 12, 2014, 12:05 AM
Feb. 11, 2014, 5:30 PM
Dec. 23, 2013, 4:30 PM
Dec. 23, 2013, 1:31 PM
- Hospira (HSP -0.2%) filed an 8-K Friday related to a recently conducted FDA inspection of the company's manufacturing facility in Irungattukottai, India, which has operated under a warning letter since May.
- The FDA has issued a Form 483 with 23 observations.
- HSP says the "majority" of these observations "will be addressed over the next several weeks."
- As of now, HSP doesn't expect any adverse impact on FY13 guidance. (8-K)
Nov. 6, 2013, 7:50 AM
- Hospira (HSP) rises 7% premarket (volume is 500) as Q3 results come in ahead of Street expectations.
- Adjusted net income rises 7.8% Y/Y, reflecting a more favorable product mix.
- Cash flow from operations falls to $62M from $404M in Q3 2012. The company blames "increases in working capital, including inventory, as well as higher tax and interest payments."
- Capex comes in at $249M.
- FY13 outlook: Adjusted net sales growth of -1% to +1% and adjusted EPS of $2-2.10. Consensus is $2.07/share. (PR)
Nov. 6, 2013, 7:37 AM
- Hospira (HSP): Q3 EPS of $0.51 beats by $0.06.
- Revenue of $1.0B (+1.4% Y/Y) beats by $7.79M. (PR)
Nov. 6, 2013, 12:05 AM
Nov. 5, 2013, 5:30 PM
Oct. 13, 2013, 2:59 AM
- California Governor Jerry Brown has vetoed a bill that would have limited the use of biosimilar pharmaceuticals in the state.
- Brown explained that the legislation was premature, as the FDA hasn't yet set the rules governing such drugs.
- Biosimilars are the copycat versions of biotech drugs - also known as biologics - which are complex proteins developed in living cells. Biosimilars are not called generics, as it's difficult to prove that they're exactly the same as the biologic original.
- The campaign to limit the use of biosimilars has been led by Amgen (AMGN) and Genentech (RHHBY.OB); so far, 10 states have blocked such efforts this year, including Illinois and Texas.
- Companies developing biosimilars include Hospira (HSP), Novartis (NVS), Momenta Pharmaceuticals (MNTA), Baxter (BAX) and Teva (TEVA).
- Healthcare ETFs: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS
Sep. 10, 2013, 8:49 AM
- Celltrion and Hospira (HSP) get final approval from the European Commission for Inflectra.
- The rheumatoid arthritis treatment is a biosimilar of Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and Merck's (MRK) Remicade ($2B in European sales last year).
- The news marks a biotech milestone: It's Europe's first biosimilar monoclonal antibody therapy.
- HSP will launch the drug "at the earliest opportunity taking into account any relevant patent protection." (PR)
Jul. 31, 2013, 10:56 AM
- Shares of Hospira (HSP +2.4%) rise in morning trading after the company beats analysts' bottom line expectations.
- Revenue comes in slightly lower versus Q2 2012 as price erosion on "certain newer U.S. SIP products and lower device sales" offset a strong performance from Precedex.
- Operating income rises 7.8% on a more favorable product mix compared to the year ago quarter.
- FY13 outlook: $2-2.10/ share (consensus is $2.03) on net sales growth of -1% to +1%. (PR)
Jul. 31, 2013, 8:09 AM
- Hospira (HSP): Q2 EPS of $0.55 beats by $0.04.
- Revenue of $1.03B (-0.7% Y/Y) in-line. (PR)
Jul. 31, 2013, 12:05 AM
Jul. 30, 2013, 5:30 PM
Jul. 12, 2013, 2:32 PM
The Medicines Co. (MDCO -6.1%) slumps after receiving an adverse court ruling in its patent infringement suit against Hospira (HSP -0.1%). The district court presiding over the suit, which relates to MDCO's Angiomax drug, has adopted Hospira's interpretation of patent claims in dispute. RBC argues investors are overreacting, albeit while granting the arrival of Angiomax generics in 2015 would lower its PT (currently $41) by $7. Amgiomax accounted for the vast majority of MDCO's Q1 sales.| Jul. 12, 2013, 2:32 PM | 1 Comment