Mon, Nov. 2, 3:45 PM
Thu, Oct. 1, 1:36 PM
Tue, Sep. 1, 1:14 PM
Mon, Aug. 3, 4:48 PM
Thu, Jul. 16, 3:39 PM
- "That's stunningly high," says Van Eck chief municipal strategist Jim Colby, after Chicago priced $1.1B in both taxable and tax-free bonds. The taxable issue maturing in 2042 priced to yield 7.98%, and the tax-free paper maturing in 2039 priced to yield 5.69% - a taxable equivalent yield of 9% (for the highest bracket).
- The debt has been rated BBB+ by Fitch.
- "Chicago is not Detroit," says Colby, who calls this new debt "far and away" the best value of similar credit quality in municipals. He notes the 30-day yield of his Market Vectors High Yield Municipal Index ETF (NYSEARCA:HYD) is just 4.61%.
- ETFs: MUB, IIM, HYD, NUV, PML, NIO, MAV, PZA, LEO, MHI, VMO, NEA, PMF, NMZ, PMX, BFK, EVN, BLE, DSM, KTF, NQU, NXP, VGM, PMM, AFB, VKI, MVF, HYMB, EIM, NQM, NPM, TFI, OIA, BKN, MUA, MEN, PMO, MVT, IQI, MYD, VKQ, NMO, MYI, XMPT, NPI, CMU, MMU, MUE, CXE, EXD, NAD, NMA, BBK, BYM, NPP, NQS, NEV, DMF, MFL, NZF, NVG, NQI, KSM, NPT, MHD, MFM, MUH, NXZ, MQY, SHYD, MFT, MZF, PRB, EIV, BBF, MHF, BAF, EOT, MUS, NUW, NXR, DTF, NPF, MNP, BSD, NXQ, MQT, MYF, DMB, NIM, NMI, CXH, BIE, FMN, PVI, VFL, RVNU, FMB
Wed, Jul. 1, 2:30 PM
Mon, Jun. 29, 2:25 PM
- Among the sizable municipal bond funds, the $6.1B Oppenheimer Rochester Fund (MUTF:RMUNX) has exposure to the Commonwealth of about 20%, according to S&P Capital IQ's Todd Rosenbluth, and the Oppenheimer Rochester New Jersey Municipal Fund (MUTF:ONJAX) has about 29% exposure.
- Looking at ETFs, the $391M SPDR Nuveen S&P High Yield Municipal Bond ETF (HYMB -0.9%) holds 14% of its assets in Puerto Rico paper. The $1.5B Market Vectors High Yield Municipal Bond ETF (HYD -1.4%) has roughly 3.2% exposure.
- Previously: Puerto Rico banks slide on default worry (June 29)
- Previously: Bond insurers tumble as Puerto Rico heads to default (June 29)
Mon, Jun. 1, 2:47 PM
Fri, May 1, 2:12 PM
Fri, Apr. 17, 1:54 AM
- In a change of heart, the Federal Reserve will allow big U.S. banks to use some types of municipal bonds to meet new rules that ensure they have enough cash during a market meltdown, WSJ reports.
- At issue is the treatment of municipal debt under new liquidity requirements, which call for large banks to hold enough "high-quality liquid assets" to fund their operations for 30 days.
- Other regulators, including the OCC and FDIC, do not plan to follow the Fed's new criteria.
- ETFs: MUB, HYD, BAB, PZA, MUNI, HYMB, TFI, XMPT, ITM, MLN, BABS, SHM, CMF, SHYD, PRB, NYF, PZT, SUB, SMB, PWZ, CXA, IBMF, PVI, RVNU, INY, SMMU, IBMG, IBME, IBMD, GMMB, FMB, IBMI, IBMH, MEAR
Wed, Apr. 1, 12:48 PM
Mon, Mar. 2, 1:41 PM
Sat, Feb. 28, 7:45 AM
- Chicago's credit rating was downgraded Friday by Moody's to Baa2, two notches above junk, with a negative outlook on the “expectation that the city’s credit quality could weaken as unfunded pension liabilities grow and exert increased pressure on the city’s operating budget."
- Chicago's four pension funds have ~$20B in unfunded debt, and without further action the city would need to increase its payments to those accounts by $600M next year and even more after that.
- The rating includes the city’s $8.3B billion of outstanding GO debt, $542M of outstanding sales tax revenue debt, and $268M of outstanding or authorized motor fuel tax revenue debt.
- The downgrade could immediately terminate four interest rate swap agreements, costing the city ~$58M, and potentially lead to terminations of 11 more swaps deals that could cost another $133M.
- Also yesterday, S&P warned it could slap its own multi-notch downgrade on Chicago in the absence of a plan this year to deal with the pension crisis.
- It's all another big headache for Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who is facing a surprise run-off in his bid for re-election.
- Muni ETFs: MUB, HYD, BAB, PZA, MUNI, TFI, ITM, HYMB, MLN, CMF, SHM, BABS, XMPT
Mon, Feb. 2, 3:38 PM
Dec. 29, 2014, 1:55 PM
Dec. 1, 2014, 12:01 PM
The SPDR® Nuveen S&P High Yield Municipal Bond ETF seeks to provide investment results that, before fees and expenses, correspond generally to the price and yield performance of the S&P Municipal Yield Index (index ticker: SPMUHT), an index that tracks the US high yield municipal bond market and to provide income that is exempt from federal income taxes.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio: Visit Seeking Alpha's ETF Hub
- In Your Portfolio: Broad U.S. Bond ETFs, A Guide to Municipal Bond ETFs and Closed-End Funds
- Asset Class Performance: Bonds ETFs
Other News & PR