iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETFNASDAQ
Tue, Aug. 2, 2:46 PM
- Biogen (NASDAQ:BIIB) has jumped 5.6% into a trading halt as chatter centers on a potential takeout from Allergan (NYSE:AGN) or Merck (NYSE:MRK).
- IShares Nasdaq Biotech index (NASDAQ:IBB) jumped from the red to a 0.8% gain.
- Biogen might not go for a deal, but the two suitors have tested the waters, the WSJ reports.
- The company's worth more than $68B, setting up what could be the sector's next blockbuster deal.
- Updated 2:51 p.m.: Back on the move, Biogen is now up 7.3%.
Jul. 15, 2015, 10:36 AM
- Celgene's (CELG +9.5%) $7.2B deal for Receptos (RCPT +10.3%) is “a great acquisition at a great price," Nomura analysts say, as ozanimod could enable CELG's inflammation and immunology franchise to double peak sales to $10B and reduce reliance on Revlimid to drive future growth, and the acquisition price of less than 2x peak sales is a steep discount relative to recent comparisons.
- Wedbush analyst Liana Moussatos sees plenty of potential upside to justify a rival bidder stepping in for RCPT, noting that she had estimated the company could be valued at $348/share, or ~$10.9B, in a buyout, substantially more than CELG's $232 offer.
- The deal is boosting some biotech names (IBB +1.9%), including PTC Therapeutics (PTCT +11.7%), Celsion (CLSN +7.1%) and Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA +6.7%).
Mar. 19, 2015, 11:45 AM
- In a report published by EP Vantage (the editorial arm of market intelligence firm Evaluate), 2014 was the year of biotech. Highlights include:
- $212B in M&A transactions, eclipsing 2009's $152B; 87 IPOs that raised $6.3B (almost double the floats done in 2013 and more than 2x money raised); $6.5B in venture funding (+33%).
- FDA approved a record 50 new drugs.
- So far in 2015, ~$3B has been raised through secondary offerings.
- ETFs: IBB, BIB, IRY, BIS, IXJ, DRGS
Nov. 21, 2014, 11:46 AM
- CB Pharma Acquisition Corp. (CNLMU) files for an IPO of 4M units priced at $10 per unit. Each unit consists of one share of common stock, one right to purchase 1/10 of a share of common stock on the consummation of an initial business combination and one warrant to purchase 1/2 of one share of common stock at a full-share price of $11.50.
- The firm is a blank check company formed by Coronado Biosciences (CNDO +0.5%). It will seek business combinations via mergers, share exchanges, asset acquisitions, share purchases, recapitalizations or reorganizations.
- It has 18 months from the consummation of this offering to complete its initial business combination (up to 21 months in certain circumstances) or it will liquidate the trust account, distribute the proceeds to shareholders and dissolve.
- Per NASDAQ listing rules, the target business for the initial combination must have a fair market value equal to at least 80% of the value of the trust account.
- ETFs: IBB, BIB, IRY, BIS, IXJ, DRGS (NYSEARCA:IPO)
Jul. 7, 2014, 1:32 PM
Apr. 22, 2014, 12:14 PM
- The Health Care M&A Report tallies Q1 2014 deal volume of 239 transactions valued at $49.6B. The number of deals for Q4 2013 and Q1 2013 were 278 and 212, respectively. The $49.6B total value was up 11% versus Q4 and up 217% versus Q1.
- The most deals were consummated in long-term care (60), pharmaceuticals (33), biotech (26) and devices (25).
- Healthcare ETFs: IYH, IBB, XLV, XBI, VHT, BIB, PJP, BBH, FBT, PBE, XPH, CURE, FXH, IHE, RXL, IRY, IXJ, PPH, IHI, BIS, IHF, FHLC, XHS, PSCH, RYH, XHE, PTH, DRGS, RXD
Jul. 12, 2013, 3:50 PM