Tue, Sep. 6, 4:15 AM
- All operations at London's City Airport have been suspended after nine protesters occupied the runway by erecting a tripod and locking themselves together.
- Following a series of conflicting reports on which campaign group had led the protest, U.K. Black Lives Matter released a statement on its social media accounts: "London City Airport is shutdown to protest the U.K.'s environmental impact on black people."
- Related tickers: OTCPK:ICAGY, OTCQX:DLAKY, OTCQX:DLAKF,
Tue, Sep. 6, 2:39 AM
- Multiple British Airways (OTCPK:ICAGY) flights were delayed at a number of U.S. airports late on Monday due to a glitch in the airline's check-in system.
- "Our IT teams are working as hard as they can to quickly fix the problem," the carrier said statement. "We are sorry for the delays some customers are experiencing as they check-in for their flights."
Thu, Sep. 1, 7:41 AM
- British Airways (OTCPK:ICAGY) will make its first flight into Iran since 2012 tonight with a 777 scheduled to land in Tehran after taking off from London.
- The airline plans to run the service six times a week.
- Air France resumed service to Iran last April, while Deutsche Lufthansa never stopped flying during the tight Western sanctions.
Mon, Aug. 29, 1:21 PM
- The airline sector will be keeping a watch on Iceland after a large number of tremors were recorded near the nation's largest volcano
- The eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in 2010 led to the cancellation of more than 100K flights in Europe.
- European airline stocks: RYAAY, OTCPK:AFLYY, OTC:EJTTF, OTCPK:ICAGY, OTCQX:DLAKY, OTCPK:NWARF, OTC:AELGF.
Mon, Aug. 1, 10:56 AM
- Qatar Airways boosted its stake in International Airlines Group (OTCPK:ICAGY) to 20.01% after a recent round of post-Brexit buying.
- European rules prohibit Qatar from acquiring more than 49.9% of the airline company.
Fri, Jul. 29, 9:35 AM
Mon, Jul. 25, 2:39 AM
- A cascade of terrorist attacks in Europe is driving away tourists at the height of the summer rush, casting a pall over hotel chains, airline companies and luxury retailers that are already grappling with Britain's vote to leave the EU.
- Germany was the latest country to get hit by a series of violent incidents over the weekend, including a suicide bombing and stabbing by two Syrian refugees and a German-Iranian teenager that shot and killed nine people at a mall in Munich.
- Related stocks: IHG, AAL, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCQX:DLAKY, OTCPK:AFLYY, OTC:AFRAF, OTCPK:ICAGY, OTCQX:ESYJY, OTC:EJTTF, RYAAY, OTC:RYAOF, OTCPK:TCKGY, OTC:TCKGF, OTCPK:HESAY, OTCPK:HESAF, OTCPK:LVMUY, OTCPK:LVMHF, OTCPK:PPRUY, OTC:PPRUF
Wed, Jun. 1, 3:41 AM
- It may turn out to be an even worse upcoming tourist season for Europe.
- The U.S. State Department is warning Americans of possible terrorist attack threats across the continent this summer, saying targets could include "tourist sites, restaurants, commercial centers and transportation."
- It also pointed to two events in particular - the Catholic Church's World Youth Day in Poland and France's European Soccer Championship.
- Related tickers: AAL, UAL, DAL, RYAAY, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCQX:DLAKY, OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:MLYAF, OTCPK:AFLYY, OTC:RYAOF, VA, OTC:EJTTF, OTCQX:ESYJY, OTC:AFRAF, OTCPK:ICAGY
Tue, May 31, 2:24 AM
- Global demand for air travel may be "shifting down a gear," according to global aviation group IATA, which signaled a cautious outlook for passenger traffic after growth in April rose just 4.6% on year - the lowest pace since January 2015.
- While some of the slowdown could be attributed to the Brussels terror attacks, there are still signs that underlying traffic growth could be decelerating, Director General Tony Tyler said. "The stimulus from lower oil prices appears to be tapering off. And the global economic situation is subdued."
- Airline stocks: AAL, UAL, DAL, RYAAY, OTCPK:CPCAY, OTCPK:SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCPK:QUBSF, ALK, HA, OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:MLYAF, OTCPK:AFLYY, VLRS, LUV, OTC:RYAOF, VA, LFL, SAVE, ALGT, CEA, OTC:EJTTF, OTCQX:ESYJY, AVH, OTC:AFRAF, OTCPK:ICAGY.
Wed, May 11, 2:12 PM
- The airline industry is focused on Phoenix today where the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Aviation Symposium is underway with an all-star roster of executives speaking.
- Aer Lingus (OTC:AIRXY) said it's using Dublin as a gateway to connect the U.S. and Europe.
- Ryanair's (NASDAQ:RYAAY) aggressive pricing is identified as a major factor in Europe that's unlikely to reverse anytime soon.
- A major theme has been industry consolidation with several execs pointing to more M&A opportunities in Europe and Asia. Foreign ownership of U.S. airlines is seen as opening up in the future, with today's joint ventures called a "precursor" to that evolution.
- Airline buzz H/T The Cranky Flier and the Associated Press.
- Related tickers: RYAAY, OTCPK:CPCAY, OTCPK:SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCPK:QUBSF, OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:MLYAF, OTCPK:AFLYY, VLRS, AVH, OTCPK:JAPSY, OTC:AFRAF, OTC:EJTTF, OTC:WJAFF, OTC:WJAVF, OTCQX:ESYJY, OTCPK:ICAGY, VLRS, OTCPK:GRPAF, DAL, UAL, AAL, LUV, ALK.
Fri, Apr. 29, 9:22 AM
Wed, Apr. 6, 10:31 AM
- The U.S. Global Jets ETF (NYSEARCA:JETS) announces the index it tracks has added six stocks and removed six others.
- Additions (1% weighting each): Air France (OTCPK:AFLYY), International Airlines Group (OTCPK:ICAGY), Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines (OTCPK:SINGY), SATS Ltd. (OTCPK:SPASF, [[SDPASY]]), Dassault Aviation (OTCPK:DASTY, OTCPK:DASTF).
- Removals: China Eastern Air (NYSE:CEA), Air China (OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:AICAF), Deutsche Lufthansa (OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCQX:DLAKY), El Al Israel Airlines (OTC:ELALY), China Southern Airlines (NYSE:ZNH), Travelsky Technologies (OTCPK:TSYHF, OTCPK:TSYHY).
Fri, Jan. 29, 7:31 AM
- IATA Chief Economist Brian Pearce expects the global airline industry to see the benefit of low oil prices this year and next.
- In another positive signal, Pearce noted that the economic turmoil in China hasn't crimped demand for flights in the region.
- The current forecast from IATA is for $36.3B industry profit in 2016 and a 8.6% return on capital.
- Related tickers: RYAAY, OTCPK:CPCAY, OTCPK:SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCPK:QUBSF, OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:MLYAF, OTCPK:AFLYY, VLRS, AVH, OTCPK:JAPSY, OTC:AFRAF, OTC:EJTTF, OTC:WJAFF, OTC:WJAVF, OTCQX:ESYJY, OTCPK:ICAGY, VLRS, OTCPK:GRPAF
Wed, Jan. 27, 10:22 AM| Wed, Jan. 27, 10:22 AM
Dec. 16, 2015, 8:27 AM
- The European Union has adopted new rules to make it easier to track jetliners, stepping up international efforts to prevent a repeat of several jetliner disappearances.
- Under the new regulations, airlines will be given three years to install a means of tracking aircraft when flying in normal conditions outside radar coverage, over oceans or remote land.
- They must also have a system for more frequent updates in the event of an emergency.
- Related tickers: AAL, UAL, DAL, RYAAY, OTCPK:CPCAY, OTCPK:SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCQX:QUBSF, ALK, HA, OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:MLYAF, OTCPK:AFLYY, VLRS, LUV, AVH, OTCPK:JAPSY, OTC:AFRAF, OTC:EJTTF, OTC:WJAFF, OTC:WJAVF, OTCQX:ESYJY, OTCPK:ICAGY, VLRS, OTCPK:GRPAF
Dec. 10, 2015, 8:09 AM
- IATA issues a strong outlook for airline sector profits.
- The net profit forecast for 2015 is revised upward to $33B from $29.3B. A net profit margin of 4.6% is expected.
- The outlook for 2016 from IATA is for total profits of $36.3B and a net profit margin of 5.1%.
- 2016 profit forecast by region: North America $19.2B, Europe $8.5B, Asia-Pacific $6.6B, Middle East $1.4B, Latin America $400M, Africa -$100M.
- Strong passenger demand and lower oil prices are two drivers of the profit growth, although profit is impacted significantly in many markets due to the high level of the U.S. dollar, notes the industry-watching group.
- Global airline stocks: AAL, UAL, DAL, RYAAY, OTCPK:CPCAY, OTCPK:SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCQX:QUBSF, ALK, HA, OTCPK:AIRYY, OTCPK:MLYAF, OTCPK:AFLYY, VLRS, LUV, AVH, OTCPK:JAPSY, OTC:AFRAF, OTC:EJTTF, OTC:WJAFF, OTC:WJAVF, OTCQX:ESYJY, OTCPK:ICAGY, VLRS, OTCPK:GRPAF.
- Related ETFs: JETS