Wed, Apr. 22, 6:51 PM
- A Delaware jury has ruled ZTE didn't infringe InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) '151 patent. Back in October, ZTE was ruled to infringe InterDigital's '966, '847, and '244 patents, but a mistrial was declared on the '151 patent (USPTO filing).
- InterDigital: "While we're disappointed by today's jury decision, we feel overall that our Delaware actions against ZTE are successful in highlighting the strength of InterDigital's contributions to worldwide core wireless technology ... We look forward to the damages phase of the proceedings and hope that, overall, the results of our Delaware actions will be helpful in facilitating discussions with ZTE and others that lead to fair and reasonable license agreements with InterDigital."
- IDCC -1.9% AH to $51.65 AH. Shares briefly fell in regular trading following initial reports about the ruling (before InterDigital issued a PR), but closed up 1%. Q1 results arrive on April 29.
Tue, Mar. 24, 4:19 PM
- InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) European unit has been awarded EU funding for 2.5 years of R&D work related to project XHAUL, which aims to "develop a 5G integrated backhaul and fronthaul transport network to flexibly and dynamically interconnect the 5G radio access and core network functions."
- XHAUL aims to cut network total cost of ownership (TCO) by 30%, while also improving network efficiency and lowering latency. InterDigital has already been investing in 5G R&D, with the goal of adding to its 5G patent portfolio. The technology is expected to see large-scale deployments starting around 2020.
Thu, Mar. 12, 11:40 AM
- Ed Kamins, the head of business consulting firm UpFront Advisors, and Gil Amelio, a tech industry vet who ran Apple before Steve Jobs came back, are stepping down from InterDigital's (IDCC +0.2%) board following the company's June annual meeting.
- No successors have been named. Kamins has been on the board since 2003, and Amelio since 2011.
Wed, Mar. 11, 4:28 PM
Fri, Mar. 6, 12:13 PM
Wed, Mar. 4, 4:26 PM
- InterDigital (NASDAQ:IDCC) plans to sell $275M worth of senior convertible notes due 2020. Initial purchasers are expected to have a $41M overallotment option.
- $50M of the net proceeds will be used on stock buybacks. Most of the rest will go towards "general corporate purposes," which might include repaying debt.
- The 3G/4G patent owner had $703.9M in cash/short-term investments at the end of Q4, and $220.4M in long-term debt and other long-term liabilities.
- Shares are down just fractionally AH for now.
Thu, Feb. 19, 8:02 AM
Wed, Feb. 18, 5:30 PM| Wed, Feb. 18, 5:30 PM | 7 Comments
Wed, Feb. 18, 10:17 AM
- InterDigital (IDCC -1.5%) has slipped amid a report the company's appeal of an adverse ITC ruling for its infringement suit against ZTE and Microsoft's phone unit (formerly Nokia's) has been rejected.
- The 3G/4G patent owner received a favorable ruling in October from a Delaware court for an infringement suit against ZTE. Q4 results arrive tomorrow morning.
- Update (12:40PM): InterDigital has issued a PR confirming the rejection. The company adds its Delaware cases and a separate ITC case feature patents not covered by the decision.
Mon, Jan. 26, 5:41 PM
- InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) Q4 report arrives before the open on Thursday, Feb. 19. CC at 10AM ET. CC at 10AM ET.
- The 2-analyst consensus is for revenue of $85.9M (-13.8% Y/Y), and EPS of $0.31. Shares +15% since InterDigital posted a Q4 beat on Oct. 30.
- Separately, the company has announced an ITC evidentiary hearing for its infringement case against Nokia and Microsoft has commenced. InterDigital is alleging infringement of two 3G W-CDMA patents, and seeking import bans on infringing hardware.
Dec. 16, 2014, 5:36 PM
- Pres. Obama recently pressed Chinese president Xi Jinping about attempts by Chinese regulators to limit the royalties collected by foreign companies for the use of their IP.
- National Security Council spokesman Patrick Ventrell: "The United States government is concerned that China is using numerous mechanisms, including anti-monopoly law, to lower the value of foreign-owned patents and benefit Chinese firms employing foreign technology ... President Obama raised these concerns."
- Though Obama reportedly didn't mention Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) by name, it's the only major U.S. company currently subject to a Chinese antitrust probe related to royalty rates.
- While the probe continues, Qualcomm has stated it thinks Chinese licensees are under-reporting sales of royalty-bearing devices, and that some might be holding off on getting licenses. The company's light FY15 guidance had much to do with its Chinese licensing issues.
- The White House's efforts could also have implications for InterDigital (NASDAQ:IDCC), which has seen its own Chinese royalty-collection issues. China's antitrust regulator suspended a probe of InterDigital in May after the company made a series of licensing commitments.
- Prior Qualcomm/China commentary
Dec. 9, 2014, 2:36 PM
- 3G/4G IP licensing firm InterDigital (IDCC +3.6%) and storage adapter card/switch vendor Emulex (ELX +3.6%) have both rallied after presenting at Barclays' Global Technology Conference (webcast).
- InterDigital CEO Bill Merritt and Emulex CEO Jeff Benck each presented at 1:30PM ET. InterDigital is near its 52-week high of $53.50, and up 80% YTD.
Dec. 5, 2014, 4:21 PM
Nov. 13, 2014, 4:58 PM
- InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) Q4 guidance is above a sole analyst estimate of $73M, and implies a 16% Y/Y revenue drop at its midpoint.
- The guidance assumes $81M-$84M in recurring revenue (up from Q3's $73.2M), and no contribution from InterDigital's Arima arbitration award (received earlier this year).
- IDCC unchanged AH for now.
Oct. 30, 2014, 8:32 AM
Oct. 29, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ABC, ABMD, ACIW, ACOR, ALLE, ALU, AMAG, AMT, ANR, APD, APO, ATK, AUDC, AVP, BCO, BG, BGCP, BLL, BWA, CAH, CARB, CBM, CEVA, CI, CME, CNSL, COP, COR, CRCM, CRNT, CRR, CVI, CVRR, DBD, DFT, DHX, DST, EPD, EXLS, FCH, FCN, FIG, FIS, GBX, GEL, GG, GLOP, GNC, GOV, GTI, GTLS, HAR, HEES, HGG, HST, I, IDA, IDCC, INCY, INGR, IQNT, IRDM, IRM, ITC, IVZ, JCI, K, KCG, KEM, KMT, LAD, LECO, LKQ, LLL, LPLA, LRN, MA, MD, MDC, MDXG, MGM, MMYT, MO, MOD, MOS, MPC, MPLX, MPW, MSCI, MZOR, NEO, NGD, NI, NILE, NOV, NVO, NYT, O, OAK, OCN, ODFL, OXF, PBI, PCRX, PEG, Q, RDEN, RDN, RDS.A, RFP, RGLD, RTIX, SCG, SHOO, SMP, SNAK, SPAR, SSE, STRA, STRZA, SUI, TASR, TEVA, THRM, TRI, TWC, UAN, UPL, USAC, VICL, VNTV, WLT, WST, WWE, XEL
InterDigital Inc designs and develops technologies that enable and enhance wireless communications and capabilities. The Company is a contributor of intellectual property to the wireless communications industry.
Other News & PR