Illumina: Thermo Fisher-Life Deal Unlikely To Threaten Its Market-Leading Position
Helix Investment Research
Helix Investment Research
Apr. 21, 2014, 5:35 PM
Apr. 4, 2014, 4:20 PM
- The recent selloff in Nasdaq momentum names spilled over to the rest of the stock market today, pulling the Dow and S&P sharply lower from their record highs hit earlier in the session.
- The S&P 500's 1.2% drop was less than half the Nasdaq's 2.6% plunge, but its 1,865 close was well below the 1,875 some technicians saw as a resistance level.
- The selling that started in biotechs a few weeks ago has carried over into cloud and enterprise software names, Internet and other high-flying tech names.
- Looking around Nasdaq, the carnage is evident: ICPT -9.6%, FEYE -8.2%, YELP -6.8%, TRIP -6.1%, TSLA -5.8%, ILMN -5.8%, SPLK -5.5%,NFLX -4.9%, PCLN -4.8%, FB -4.6%, GOOG -4.6%, BIIB -4.5%, CELG -4.3%, WDAY -3.8%, AMZN -3.2%, GILD -2.4%, TWTR -2%.
- Recent high-fliers also are seeing a surge in volatility to go along with their declines; the implied volatility of the iShares Biotech Fund (IBB -4%) is near its highest level in at least two years.
- Treasurys rallied as the latest employment report eased concerns that the Fed could raise interest rates sooner than expected; the 10-year yield fell 6 bps at 2.732%.
Feb. 27, 2014, 9:29 AM
- Illumina's (ILMN +1.3%) cell-free DNA testing technology was more accurate than traditional techniques in diagnosing Down syndrome and Edwards syndrome.
- The false-positive rate of Illumina's cfDNA product was 0.3% for Down syndrome vs 3.6% for standard screening, and 0.2% for Edwards vs 0.6%.
- The study could lead to the testing in expectant mothers beyond only those considered at high risk for having babies with Down and Edwards syndromes.
- The results of the study were published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Three other companies in the U.S. provide cfDNA testing - Sequenom (SQNM +3%), Ariosa Diagnostics and Natera.
Feb. 24, 2014, 12:13 PM
- Concho Resources (CXO +4.6%) continues to push higher after a positive mention by Ron Baron on CNBC before the open as the company he likes best to exploit the U.S. shale boom.
- CXO has been aggregating drilling lands, he says, "and once they have this acreage, they're going to be able to be acquisition candidates by the really big oil companies who don't want to do the legwork."
- Citing rising U.S. spending on health care, Baron likes Illumina (ILMN +3.6%), which he says is taking advantage of the falling costs of sequencing the genome.
Jan. 28, 2014, 4:07 PM
- Illumina, Inc. (ILMN): Q4 EPS of $0.45 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $387M (+25.1% Y/Y) beats by $4.94M.
Jan. 28, 2014, 12:10 AM
Jan. 27, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 17, 2014, 10:40 AM
- Illumina (ILMN +8%) rises to new 52-week highs after unveiling a strategic roadmap for market expansion after the bell yesterday, capping a week filled with positive announcements.
- ILMN is enjoying some analyst love: J.P. Morgan adds the stock to its Focus List and raises its target price to $190 from $120 with little to derail momentum and estimates that remain conservative, and BAML ups its target to $165 from $125.
- The sell-side excitement is "the type of stuff that could make for a nice multi-day or multi-week hold," Notable Calls remarks.
Jan. 17, 2014, 9:13 AM
Jan. 16, 2014, 8:39 AM
- Illumina (ILMN) +4.8% premarket after reaching an agreement with Amgen (AMGN) to develop an oncology companion diagnostic test.
- The companies will develop and commercialize a multigene, NGS-based test as a companion diagnostic for Vectibix (panitumumab) in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer approved in the U.S. and EU.
- The test will be developed for use with ILMN's MiSeqDx instrument, which has received premarket clearance from the FDA and CE-marked for the European Union.
Jan. 14, 2014, 11:57 AM
- Shares of Illumina (ILMN +0.5%) are trading higher on the day.
- The company is out with preliminary financial results for Q4: Revenue is seen at $387M versus consensus of $369.5M.
- As for non-GAAP earnings, the company says it expects results to come in "slightly above the top end of the guidance range provided in Q3."
- FY14 outlook: Non-GAAP EPS of $2-2.06 (versus consensus of $2.05) on top-line growth of ~15-17%.
Dec. 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
- Susquehanna starts Acadia Healthcare (ACHC +1.3%) at Positive. Price target is $56.
- Jefferies starts Mirati Therapeutics (MRTX +1.9%) at Buy. Price target is $36.
- KeyBanc initiates DaVita (DVA +1.5%) at Buy. Price target is $73.
- JMP starts Illumina (ILMN +1.1%) at Market Outperform. Price target is $125.
- KeyBanc starts IPC (IPCM -0.6%) at Hold.
- KeyBanc starts Envision Healthcare (EVHC +1.6%) at Buy. Price target is $40.
- JMP starts Quest Diagnostics (DGX -0.9%) at Market Perform.
- KeyBanc starts Team Health (TMH -0.8%) at Hold.
- JMP starts Lab Corp (LH -0.3%) at Market Perform.
- Goldman upgrades HCA Holdings (HCA +1.6%) to Conviction Buy.
- MKM downgrades Targacept (TRGT -3.1%) to Neutral from Buy.
Dec. 16, 2013, 2:06 PM
- Added to the index (QQQ +0.7%) are Dish Network (DISH +0.6%), Illumina (ILMN +1.4%), NXP Semiconductors (NXPI +0.8%), TripAdvisor (TRIP +0.8%), and Tractor Supply (TSCO +1.9%).
- Deleted are: Fossil Group (FOSL -0.4%), Microchip Technology (MCHP +0.7%), Nuance Communications (NUAN -0.1%), Sears (SHLD -1.5%), and DENTSPLY (XRAY -0.7%).
- The changes are effective prior to the open on Monday, Dec. 23.
- Nasdaq 100 ETFs: QQQ, PSQ, QID, TQQQ, SQQQ, QLD, QQEW, QQQE, QQXT, TNDQ
Nov. 20, 2013, 7:22 AM
- Illumina (ILMN) has received approval for four "next-generation" gene-sequencing devices that have the potential to make quicker and more accurate diagnoses of cystic fibrosis,
- The tests will search for "the largest number of cystic fibrosis gene variations that we've ever cleared a test for," the FDA's Elizabeth Mansfield said.
- Two of the tests also have potential to be used to diagnose and treat certain genetically identifiable cancers. (PR)
Nov. 12, 2013, 10:05 AM
Oct. 28, 2013, 10:37 AM
- Illumina (ILMN -0.7%) is set to acquire NextBio, which has the capability to "aggregate and analyze large quantities of phenotypic and genomic data for research and clinical applications."
- ILMN says the deal will allow it to "offer customers enterprise level bioinformatics solutions that accelerate the discovery of new associations between the human genome and disease, and ultimately, enable the application of those discoveries within healthcare." (PR)
- ILMN also affirms its 2013 guidance for good measure.
Illumina, Inc. develops, manufactures and markets integrated systems for the analysis of genetic variation and function. The company provides sequencing and array-based solutions for genetic analysis in addition to selling products, it provide genotyping, NIPT and whole-genome sequencing... More
Country: United States
Other News & PR