Thu, Aug. 18, 9:58 AM
- Illumina (ILMN +0.7%) has reportedly received a $30B offer from Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO -0.9%).
- Illumina, sporting a $25B market cap, is a global leader in molecular diagnostic systems. In Q2 it earned $0.82 a share on revenues of $600M.
- Large cap ($61B) Thermo is a global leader in clinical diagnostics that generates ~$17B a year in sales.
Tue, Jul. 26, 4:06 PM
Tue, Jul. 12, 3:37 PM
- Illumina (ILMN +6.7%) and Exact Sciences (EXAS +7.1%) head north on rumored interest by Illumina for a takeover. The supposed reason is to acquire tissue mapping expertise/technology as a component of liquid biopsy testing. Exact is collaborating with MAYO Foundation for Medical Education and Research on future DNA tests, including lung (from lung nodules), pancreatic and esophageal cancers. Its only commercially offering is Cologuard, a DNA screening test for colorectal cancer.
- At least on paper, Sequenom (SQNM +2.1%) appears to be at least as good a target, considering its pooled patent deal with Ilumina and Sequenom's stated desire for strategic partner to develop and commercialize its oncology liquid biopsy test.
- Exact's market cap is $1.3B while Sequenom's is a mere $112M. As of April 3, Ilumina had $1.34B in quick assets so it will have to issue stock or debt if it wants Exact.
Tue, Jul. 5, 8:48 AM
- Ilumina (NASDAQ:ILMN) is off 4% premarket on light volume. The only news is a downgrade by Morgan Stanley to Underweight with a price target of $110 (22% downside risk).
Tue, May 3, 4:23 PM
- Illumina (NASDAQ:ILMN) Q1 results ($M): Total Revenues: 571.8 (+6.2%); Product Revenue: 482.8 (+5.2%); Service & Other: 89.0 (+10.8%). Consensus: $596.3M.
- Operating Expenses: 275.6 (+38.6%); Net Income: 89.6 (-34.5%); Non-GAAP Net Income: 105.5 (-22.1%); EPS: 0.60 (-34.8%); Non-GAAP EPS: 0.71 (-22.0%); CF Ops: 39.7 (-40.6%). Consensus Non-GAAP EPS: $0.74.
- 2016 Guidance: Revenue growth: ~12%; Non-GAAP EPS: $3.35 - 3.45.
- Q2 Guidance: Revenue: $590M - 595M; Non-GAAP EPS: $0.72 - 0.74.
- Q2 Consensus: EPS of $0.84 on revenues of $612.6M.
- Shares are down 4% after hours on increased volume.
Tue, Apr. 19, 12:49 PM
Tue, Apr. 19, 10:02 AM
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch downgrades Illumina (ILMN -21.5%) to Neutral from Buy and lowers its price target to $180 (31% upside) from $210. BofA still likes the company's long-term outlook, but yields to short-term headwinds considering the company has missed views three of the last four quarters.
- Market penetration of new NGS (Next Gen Sequencing) platforms is going slower than anticipated while reimbursement and regulatory issues have added uncertainty to the NGS space.
- Per TipRanks.com, four analysts rate ILMN a Buy and six a Hold. Price targets range from $137 to $215. Merrill Lynch analyst Derik De Bruin has a 55% success rate and 2.3% average return per recommendation.
- Read now Interview - Data Key As Illumina Touts Sequencing For All
Tue, Apr. 19, 9:17 AM
Mon, Apr. 18, 5:40 PM
Mon, Apr. 18, 4:13 PM
- On a preliminary basis, Illumina (NASDAQ:ILMN) expects Q1 revenues of $572M, up 6% yoy. Management plans for a 12% bump in the top line for the year. Final Q1 results will be released on May 3.
- The company will host a conference call today at 4:30 pm ET to discuss its preliminary Q1 results.
- The consensus revenue for Q1 is ~$596M so it is a 4% miss. Shares are down 19% after hours on robust volume.
Mon, Apr. 4, 12:32 PM
- Thinly traded micro cap OncoCyte (OCX +39.8%) is up on almost a 5x surge in volume, albeit on turnover of less than 100K shares, in response to its announcement of a successful 620-subject research study on its lung cancer diagnostic test that validates the transition of the assay platform from Illumina (ILMN +1.3%) microarrays to a Nanostring (NSTG -2.3%) nCounter instrument, the platform OncoCyte intends to use for commercialization. The study, which replicates an earlier one, was conducted by biomedical research organization The Wistar Institute.
- The company will now independently validate the results with its own follow-up study. If successful, it will execute the necessary analytic work to support the test's commercialization. If all goes well, commercial launch could happen in H1 2017. When launched, it will be the first commercially available, non-invasive diagnostic for the early detection of lung cancer.
- The value proposition of liquid biopsy, performed on a peripheral blood sample, is lower cost, greater convenience and much more patient-friendly that traditional tissue biopsy.
- Related tickers: (TROV +2.1%)(TBIO +5%)(SQNM)(CDNA -1.2%)(ILMN +1.3%)(FMI +3%)(BIOC -0.8%)
Wed, Mar. 9, 8:20 AM
- Thinly traded nano cap Biocept (NASDAQ:BIOC) closes a contract with preferred provider organization (PPO) FedMed for access to its Target Selector liquid biopsy testing.
- FedMed, founded in 2000, provides medical services access to over 40M Americans through its PPO of more than 550K doctors, 4K hospitals and 60K ancillary care providers.
- Biocept's testing detects circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) in a peripheral blood sample obtained via a routine blood draw. Tumors consistently shed bits of DNA that circulate in the blood which has potential for detecting and monitoring cancer. Because the amounts of ctDNA are very small, the clinical utility wasn't there until high powered sequencers became available, such as those made by Illumina (NASDAQ:ILMN). The value proposition of liquid biopsy is lower cost, greater convenience and much more patient-friendly that traditional tissue biopsy.
- Shares are up 13% premarket on light volume.
- Liquid biopsy-related tickers: (NASDAQ:TROV)(NASDAQ:TBIO)(NASDAQ:SQNM)(NASDAQ:CDNA)
- Previously: Biocept's liquid biopsy matches 93% of lung cancer tissue biopsies in study (Feb. 26)
Nov. 12, 2015, 5:47 PM
- Illumina (NASDAQ:ILMN) will replace Sigma-Aldrich (set to be acquired by Merck) in the S&P 500 following the Nov. 18 close.
- Shares have risen to $162.00 after hours.
Oct. 6, 2015, 12:44 PM
Oct. 6, 2015, 9:15 AM
Oct. 5, 2015, 5:41 PM
Illumina, Inc. develops, manufactures and markets integrated systems for the analysis of genetic variation and function. The company provides sequencing and array-based solutions for genetic analysis in addition to selling products, it provide genotyping, NIPT and whole-genome sequencing... More
Country: United States