Apr. 7, 2014, 9:10 AM
- Twitter's down 32% this year, Facebook's off 20% in a month, and biotech nearly that much, but money is returning to the industrial sector. While the Nasdaq 100 posted its worst one-day drop since 2011 on Friday and last week fell for the 3rd week in 4, the Industrial Select SPDR (XLI) gained 1.6%.
- In the year's first quarter, the XLI had lost 1.4%, putting it in 9th place among 10 S&P 500 groups.
- "You’re seeing the beginning of investors shifting money ahead of a wave of spending,” says Drew Nordlicht of HighTower Advisors. “The expectation is, as the economy begins to kick into a higher gear, corporate America will utilize the amount of cash to spend on capital expenditures."
- GE comprises more than 10% of the XLI, and UTX, Union Pacific, Boeing, and 3M round out the top 5, each with holdings in the 5% range.
- Related ETFs: XLI, PHO, CGW, PIO, VIS, ITA, FIW, PPA, IGF, CARZ, IYJ, XAR, IPN, EMIF, FIDU, PRN, UXI, FXR, PXR, EXI, GII, EVX, FLM, RGI, SIJ, PSCI, NFRA, TOLZ, AXID
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Shares of Rockwell Collins (COL +4.1%) perk up after the firm records a mild earnings beat and reaffirms its guidance for 2012. Just holding serve may be good enough for investors with all the worries about decreased military spending swirling around.| Jan. 19, 2012, 10:08 AM | 1 Comment
Oct. 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
Shares of Kratos Defense and Security Solutions (KTOS) rack up a 7.8% gain after the firm announces it landed a $8M contract from the U.S. Army to provide specialized refrigeration containers for field use.| Oct. 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
Sep. 30, 2011, 1:57 PM
GenCorp (GY +10%) pops after missing Q3 EPS estimates by $0.04 on revenue of $226M (+7.4% Y/Y). Investors seem to be honing in on the healthy backlog of orders the defense contractor reports.| Sep. 30, 2011, 1:57 PM
Sep. 16, 2011, 9:38 AM
Aug. 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Shares of Boeing (BA -4.5%) suffer along with the rest of the market, but the firm picks up a tidy $3.3B order from Hong Kong-carrier Cathay Pacific for delivery between 2013 and 2016. The airliner says it received "significant price concessions" from BA to lock-in the order.| Aug. 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Aug. 8, 2011, 8:54 AM
Aug. 3, 2011, 3:57 PM
See more details on sponsor's website