JB Hunt: The Right Business At The Right Time
Tue, Jul. 26, 8:33 AM| Tue, Jul. 26, 8:33 AM | 1 Comment
Thu, Jul. 21, 1:32 PM
Mon, Jul. 18, 7:58 AM
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services (NASDAQ:JBHT) reports total operating revenue (excl. fuel surcharges) rose 9% to $1.48B in Q2.
- Segment revenue: Intermodal: $933.43M (+3%); Dedicated Contract Services: $382.72M (+4%); Integrated Capacity Solutions: $203.77M (+17%); Truck: $98.26M (+1%).
- Segment income: Intermodal: $105.61M (-11%); Dedicated: $50.47M (+24%); Integrated Capacity Solutions: $10.88M (+122%); Truck: $8.85M (-9%).
- Operating margin rate decreased 40 bps to 10.9%.
- Total tractors in operation +113 Y/Y to 2,186
- Total trailers in operation -230 Y/Y to 7,249.
- The company expects annual tax rate to be ~38%.
Mon, Jul. 18, 7:35 AM
Thu, Apr. 21, 1:03 PM
Mon, Apr. 18, 8:04 AM
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services (NASDAQ:JBHT) reports total operating revenue (excl. fuel surcharges) rose 12.9% in Q1.
- Segment revenue: Intermodal: $895M (+6%); Dedicated: $358.37M (+4%); Integrated Capacity Solutions: $183.17M (+12%); Truck: $96.05M (+5%).
- Segment income: Intermodal: $103.13M (-1%); Dedicated: $44.77M (+25%); Integrated Capacity Solutions: $10.8M (+63%); Truck: $9.18M (+8%).
- Operating margin increased 20 bps to 11%.
- Total tractors in operation +250 Y/Y to 2,270.
- Total trailers in operation -512 Y/Y to 6,670.
Mon, Apr. 18, 7:20 AM
Mon, Mar. 14, 1:20 PM
- Avondale Partners sees a tough road to higher earnings for the trucking sector due largely to deteriorating macro factors.
- New capacity coming online just as demand weakens doesn't bode well for pricing, according to the boutique investment firm.
- Cautions is raised on Swift Transportation (SWFT -3.7%), Celadon Group (CGI -5.4%), Covenant Transportation Group (CVTI -8.3%), J.B. Hunt Transport Services (JBHT +0.2%), Knight Transportation (KNX -3%), Marten Transport (MRTN -0.1%), USA Truck (USAK -0.6%), and Werner Enterprises (WERN -3.2%).
Wed, Mar. 9, 5:55 PM
- Swift Transportation (NYSE:SWFT) cruised to a +5.1% gain in today's trade following its first-ever mid-quarter conference call after yesterday's close.
- SWFT reiterated its FY 2016 EPS outlook of $1.50-$1.60 vs. analyst consensus of $1.53, with 15%-17% of yearly earnings coming in Q1, 23%-25% coming in Q2 and Q3, and as much as 35%-37% in Q4.
- Among analyst notes written after the call, Baird maintained its Buy rating as it viewed the update as likely better than investors feared, and Evercore ISI maintained a Buy rating since the added information from the call should mitigate fears of a trend of rapidly declining volumes and revenue per loaded mile results during the quarter.
- Other transportation services also finished higher: JBHT +1.9%, WERN +3%, R +1.8%, HTLD +1.5%, LSTR +1.9%, KNX +2.7%.
Mon, Feb. 29, 12:31 PM
- JPMorgan issues a harsh assessment of the trucking sector based off of analysis of how fundamentals are setting up.
- The investment firm warns on "tepid" demand which will pressure rates. "We recommend caution on the stocks and forecast a deeper-than-expected 2016 EPS trough and slower 2017 recovery relative to consensus estimates," reads the JP note.
- Knight Transportation (KNX -3%) and Heartland Express (HTLD -2.1%) are rated at Underweight. Swift Transportation (SWFT -3.6%) is given a Neutral rating off of balanced risk and reward profile. JP sees Werner Enterprises (WERN +0.1%) as an outlier in the sector due to its diversification, and tags Werner with an Overweight rating.
- Other trucking stocks showing some weakness today include Landstar Systems (LSTR -1.2%), Roadrunner Transportation Systems (RRTS -3.8%), Marten Transport (MRTN -1.1%), and JB Hunt Transport Services (JBHT -1.4%).
Thu, Jan. 28, 12:02 PM
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services (NASDAQ:JBHT) declares $0.22/share quarterly dividend, 4.8% increase from prior dividend of $0.21.
- Forward yield 1.27%
- Payable Feb. 26; for shareholders of record Feb. 12; ex-div Feb. 10.
Thu, Jan. 21, 7:36 AM
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services (NASDAQ:JBHT): Q4 EPS of $1.01 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $1.62B (+0.6% Y/Y) in-line.
Dec. 23, 2015, 9:41 AM
- The American Trucking Association reports its truck tonnage index fell 0.9% M/M in November. The reading for November was 0.2% higher than the year-ago period.
- "With year-over-year gains averaging just 1.2% over the last three months, there has been a clear deceleration in truck tonnage," notes ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello.
- A high level of inventory in retail and the energy market slump could keep truck demand tepid, warns the ATA.
- Related stocks: ODFL, YRCW, RRTS, ECHO, HTLD, JBHT, SWFT, KNX, LSTR, UACL, ARCB, SAIA, CNW, XPO.
Dec. 22, 2015, 9:19 AM
- Crumbling oil prices haven't helped the Dow Jones Transportation Average (NYSEARCA:IYT) - down 19% year-to-date vs. the DJIA's (NYSEARCA:DIA) 3% loss.
- Oppenheimer technician Ari Wald isn't seeing a bottom though. He expects the Transports to break below 7,400 support (last night's close was 7,415), and with it the DJIA to slip to the 16K area (last night's close 17,252).
- Transport buys: JBLU, MATX, ALK, LUV, DAL, UAL
- Transport sells: CHRW, LSTR, JBHT, KSU, NSC, CAR, KEX, CSX
Dec. 17, 2015, 4:58 PM
- Knight Transportation (NYSE:KNX) -9% AH after cutting Q4 earnings guidance below consensus, now seeing EPS of $0.31-$0.33 vs. $0.37 analyst consensus estimate and below its prior outlook for $0.36-$0.38.
- KNX says Q4 volumes remain similar to 2014, but that it as experienced significantly fewer non-contract opportunities, resulting in revenue per total mile trending lower than originally expected which hurt EPS by $0.03-$0.04.
- Trucking peers: ODFL, YRCW, UACL, HTLD, RRTS, CGI, WERN, CVTI, MRTN, LSTR, SWFT, USAK, R, JBHT.
Oct. 22, 2015, 2:05 PM
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services (NASDAQ:JBHT) declares $0.21/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.09%
- Payable Nov. 20; for shareholders of record Nov. 6; ex-div Nov. 4.