Thu, Apr. 2, 12:41 PM| 1 Comment
Thu, Feb. 19, 4:22 PM
- Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) reports comparable-store sales increased 4.7% in Q4.
- Online sales +19% during the quarter.
- Nordstrom Rack sales +7%.
- Nordstrom's gross profit rate fell 53 bps to 36.7%, influenced by a higher level of markdowns at Nordstrom Rack.
- The company's guidance of 2015 EPS of $3.65-$3.80 falls short of the consensus analyst mark of $4.12.
- Previously: Nordstrom misses by $0.03, beats on revenue
- JWN -2.2% after hours.
Wed, Jan. 7, 9:48 AM
- Department store stocks are getting a good lift from the J.C. Penney holiday sales report.
- Advancers: Macy's (NYSE:M) +2.5%, Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) +2.5%, Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD) +2.5%, Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) +3.0%, Dillard's (NYSE:DDS) +2.5%, Bon-Ton Stores (NASDAQ:BONT) +1.6%.
- Previously: Sonic and J.C. Penney add to $2-gas lift in retail theory
Tue, Jan. 6, 8:30 PM
- Shares of J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) reached as high as $7.90 in AH trading after the company topped the holiday same-store sales estimates of analysts.
- The stock hasn't traded over $8 since early December as short interest built up ahead of the holiday report.
- Per the norm, bulls and bears are battling it out on JCP. Bulls are lauding management for turning the retailer solidly in the right direction, while bears such as Imperial Capital's Mary Ross Gilbert claim margin-crunching promotions drove the sales gain.
- What to watch: JCP's free cash flow mark at the end of Q4 will be closely-analyzed.
- Sector fallout: Belus Capital's Brian Sozzi thinks the JCP result indicates other department store chains (JWN, KSS, DDS, M) are also poised to best consensus holiday SSS estimates.
- Previous on JCP: Sterne Agee warns, holiday sales report.
Nov. 13, 2014, 4:33 PM
- Q3 earnings of $142M or $0.73 per share vs. $137M and $0.69 one year ago.
- Total comp sales growth of 3.9%; Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) comp sales growth of 3.4%.
- Full-year EPS outlook lowered to $3.70-$3.75 from $3.80-$3.90, with part of that due to the Trunk Club acquisition that's expected to cut EPS by about 3% this fiscal year. The net sales outlook is expected to be at the top end of the previously guided 6.5-7.5% range. Comp sales are expected right in the middle of the earlier 3-4% range.
- Conference call at 4:45 ET
- Previously: Nordstrom beats by $0.02, beats on revenue
- Shares +2.3% after-hours
Aug. 14, 2014, 5:49 PM
- Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) -3.2% AH after reporting generally in-line Q2 results, as sales at stores open at least a year rose 2.7% Y/Y but missed the 3.1% growth analysts had estimated; full-line department store sales fell 1.2% vs. projections for growth of 1.2%.
- JWN says it expects the planned $350M acquisition of men's clothing service Trunk Club will dilute EPS for the next several years as the result of share issuance and other impacts; estimates the acquisition will reduce FY 2014 earnings by 3%-5%.
- At JWN's discount Rack unit, net sales grew 18%, reflecting increased volume and contributions from new stores, while same-store sales gained 4%.
- Raises the lower end of FY 2014 guidance and now sees EPS of $3.80-$3.90 on sales growth of 6.5%-7.5% vs. previous guidance of $3.75-$3.90 EPS on sales growth of 5.5%-7.5%.
Aug. 14, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 13, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Department store stocks are lower after Macy's misses estimates with its Q2 report and warns on consumer spending.
- Decliners: Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) -2.2%, Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD) -1.8%, Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) -2.7%, J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) -2.1%, Bon-Ton Stores (NASDAQ:BONT) -3.5%, Dillard's (NYSE:DDS) -2.2%.
- The downward comp sales revision from Macy's and the flat reading on U.S. retail sales growth appears to be impacting big-box retailers Target (TGT -1%) and Wal-Mart (WMT -0.9%) as well.
May. 16, 2014, 12:46 PM
May. 16, 2014, 9:17 AM
May. 16, 2014, 7:43 AM
- Nordstrom (JWN) topped the estimate of analysts with its Q1 report after getting a boost from online sales and a 20% jump in revenue at Rack outlet stores.
- Comparable-store sale were up 3.3% for the quarter.
- The company said it's seeking a financial partner for its $2B credit card portfolio.
- JWN +10.8% premarket
May. 15, 2014, 5:41 PM
May. 15, 2014, 4:08 PM
Aug. 15, 2013, 4:39 PM
- Nordstrom (JWN) Q2 comes in mixed, beating on a per share basis but missing on top line revenue estimates.
- Net sales +6.4% Y/Y.
- Total Company same-store sales increased 4.4%.
- Same- store sales during the Anniversary Sale - historically is largest sales event - increased in the low single-digit range.
- Sales trends showed moderate improvement relative to the first two months of the year but remained softer than anticipated.
- The company cuts guidance for the full year, now seeing its EPS coming in at $3.60 to $3.70 per share, down from its prior outlook of $3.65 to $3.80. The Street is at $3.78 per share.
- It also lowers overall sales guidance from previous expectations of between 4% - 6% to 3% - 4%.
- Same-store sales expectations are also lowered to between 2% to 3% compared to its prior outlook of 3% to 5%.
- Shares -2.4% AH.
Aug. 15, 2013, 4:07 PM
May. 16, 2013, 5:41 PM
JWN vs. ETF Alternatives
Nordstrom Inc operates as a fashion specialty retailer, with 290 U.S. stores located in 38 states as well as a robust e-commerce business through Nordstrom.com and HauteLook. It has two reportable segments: Retail and Credit.
Other News & PR