Thu, Aug. 20, 3:20 PM
- 3G Capital continues to be a major influence in the food industry as recent job cuts at Kraft and Heinz send a strong message.
- Management at Nestle (OTCPK:NSRGY), Mondelez International (NASDAQ:MDLZ), Kellogg (NYSE:K), and Campbell Soup (NYSE:CPB) are utilizing a "zero-base budgeting" philosophy similar to the efficiency model pushed by 3G, according to Bloomberg.
- Kraft Heinz (NASDAQ:KHC) is expected to cut $1.5B in annual costs before 2018, a disciplined approach likely to be copied by peers.
Wed, Aug. 19, 11:38 AM
- Large food companies need to focus on bold M&A and innovation actions over recharging iconic brands, concludes Rabobank in a new report on the sector.
- A shift in consumer preferences has sparked a need to introduce new brands which are on trend - instead of focusing on "innovation-lite" and product reformulation strategies. Buying promising brands at an earlier stage than normal is seen as a forward-thinking strategy.
- Related stocks: KHC, MDLZ, PEP, KO, OTCPK:NSRGY, OTCPK:NSRGF, WWAV, HAIN, K, GIS, POST, CPB, PF, THS.
Wed, Aug. 12, 12:47 PM
- Corn prices have swung sharply lower after the USDA raised a forecast for corn production off of improved yields.
- The corn crop is seen coming in at 13.686B bushels vs. 13.53B prior forecast and 13.332B consensus estimate.
- Food sellers could see some back-half cost and feed relief if the trend holds.
- Related stocks: GIS, K, POST, KO, PEP, PPC, CPB, TSN, SEB, SJM.
- Related ETF: CORN
- USDA Crop Production report.
Wed, Aug. 5, 7:05 AM
Tue, Aug. 4, 8:21 AM
- Kellogg (NYSE:K) reports sales in the U.S. Morning Foods segment fell 2.2% Y/Y to $742M in Q2
- U.S. Snacks revenue was -1.9% to $835M.
- U.S. Specialty sales -2.2% to $270M.
- Europe segment revenue -15.3% to $650M.
- Operating profit was higher in the Europe and U.S. Snacks segment during the quarter, while the company recorded a loss in the Latin America segment due in part to the Venezuelan business. Consolidated operating profit -12% to $412M.
- SG&A expenses were lower during the quarter.
- Previously: Kellogg EPS in-line, beats on revenue
Tue, Aug. 4, 8:03 AM
Mon, Aug. 3, 5:30 PM
- ABMD, ADM, AET, AFSI, ALE, ALLT, ALR, AME, ANIP, ARCC, BLMN, BPI, BZH, CAS, CBT, CHD, CHTR, CIE, COH, CRCM, CRTO, CVS, DWRE, EIGI, ELOS, EMR, ETR, EXH, EXLP, EXPD, FRM, FUN, GEO, GLDD, GLT, H, HAR, HCN, HCP, HEP, HNT, HW, HYH, IIVI, INCY, K, KLIC, LPX, LRN, LXP, MDC, MGM, MLM, MNK, MNTA, MOS, MPW, NAO, NCLH, NGLS, NRG, [[NTi]], NWN, NYLD, ODP, OZM, PH, REGN, RHP, RRD, SABR, SCOR, SGNT, SMG, SNI, SRE, STE, STWD, TDG, TGH, TICC, TIME, UNT, USAK, VMC, VSH, VTG, WLK, WNR, WPC, WRES, ZTS
Fri, Jul. 24, 11:35 AM
Wed, Jun. 17, 3:26 AM
- Beginning in 2018, companies will have to seek approval before they can put partially hydrogenated oils into foods, after the FDA said the ingredient should no longer be considered safe and laid out far-reaching restrictions.
- While not a ban, the FDA's move marks the first restriction on trans fats at the national level. It first proposed the action in 2013.
- Related tickers: Nestle (OTCPK:NSRGY), PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP), Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN), Mondelez International (NASDAQ:MDLZ), Unilever (NYSE:UL), General Mills (NYSE:GIS), Kraft Foods (NASDAQ:KRFT), Kellogg (NYSE:K), Dean Foods (NYSE:DF), Campbell Soup (NYSE:CPB), Hormel (NYSE:HRL), Hershey (NYSE:HSY), Pilgrims Pride (NASDAQ:PPC).
Wed, Jun. 10, 8:28 AM
- General Mills (NYSE:GIS) pulls the plug on its Nibblr snack service which was a brainchild of the company's innovation division.
- Nibblr was set up to be a direct-to-consumer snack delivery service.
- The development at General Mills coincides with a report from Bloomberg that Kellogg (NYSE:K) is considering its own snack subscription service
- U.K. firm Graze.com and Harry & David (NASDAQ:FLWS) are both active in the online snack delivery market.
Mon, Jun. 1, 12:49 PM
- Iconic food and beverage brands continue to grow out of favor with U.S. consumers, according to a new report from Rabobank.
- Many Q1 earnings reports tipped off weakness at well-known F&B brands.
- The bank notes that the increasing purchase power of the millennial generation is a major factor in the shift as e-commerce accounts for a higher mix of purchasing.
- A willingness of major retail chains such as Target (NYSE:TGT), Kroger (NYSE:KR), and Costco (NASDAQ:COST) to attempt to differentiate themselves with new concepts and products has also contributed to well-known brands slipping.
- Rabobank thinks major food and beverage players can still show strong growth rates if they are nimble with their strategy and use M&A wisely to catch fresh brands on the upswing.
- Related stocks: K, GIS, CPB, MDLZ, PEP, KO, HSY, SJM, DPS, KRFT, OTCPK:NSRGY, OTCPK:NSRGF.
Mon, May 18, 7:10 AM
- Target (NYSE:TGT) has told several major suppliers it will devote less optimal shelf space to packaged foods in favor or promoting healthier food items.
- Companies that could be impacted by the change include Kellogg (NYSE:K), General Mills (NYSE:GIS), and Campbell Soup (NYSE:CPB).
- Previously: Battle for fresh food sales to take new direction (Mar. 24 2015)
- Previously: Retail heavyweights to show their hands (May. 16 2015)
Tue, May 5, 8:19 AM
- Kellogg (NYSE:K) reports sales in the U.S. Morning Foods segment fell 2.9% Y/Y to $776M in Q1, despite what it calls "improving trends" with cereal.
- U.S. Snacks revenue was -1.2% to $854M.
- U.S. Specialty sales -3% to $361M.
- Operating profit in North America was off 9.9% due to lower sales volume.
- The company struck a currency-neutral sales gain of 1% in Europe with Pringles demand high.
- Latin America sales were up 6.3% before F/X factored in.
- K +1.36% premarket to $65.00.
- Previously: Kellogg beats by $0.06, beats on revenue
Tue, May 5, 8:02 AM
Mon, May 4, 5:30 PM
- ABMD, ACTA, AFSI, ALLT, AMAG, ANIP, BBEP, BBW, BLMN, BPI, CIE, CLDT, CRTO, CVLT, CYNO, DIS, DISCA, DTV, EIGI, EL, EMR, ENR, EXH, EXLP, GCAP, GLDD, GLT, GTN, GVA, H, HCA, HCP, HEP, HRC, HRS, HW, ICE, ISIS, K, KEM, KLIC, KMT, LPX, MDC, MDCO, MMP, MNK, MSO, NBL, NGLS, NNN, [[NTi]], NWN, ODP, OZM, PRIM, SABR, SALE, SBH, SCOR, SGNT, SMG, SNSS, SPAR, SRE, SSE, STWD, TDG, TECH, TGH, TRW, TW, UAM, USAK, VLP, VMC, VSH, WEC, WNR, YORW, ZTS
Fri, Apr. 24, 11:09 AM| Fri, Apr. 24, 11:09 AM | 3 Comments
Other News & PR