Thu, Nov. 5, 10:12 AM
- Grocery store stocks Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC -1.7%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA -1.5%), Roundy's (RNDY -0.9%), Fairway Group (FWM -1.7%), SuperValu (SVU -1.7%), and Village Super Markets (VLGEA -0.8%) all trade below broad market averages following the Whole Foods Market earnings report.
- The Whole Foods conference call may be on the mind of investors with management appearing to give up some ground on pricing and expressing confidence on the new value brand roll-out.
- Even Kroger (KR -0.2%) which has Whole Foods beat at scale and profitability is trading a bit weak. The outlier is Sprouts Farmers Market which is flying off of earnings.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market flies after comps come in strong (Nov. 05 2015)
- Previously: Whole Foods Market and rivals at the crossroads (Nov. 04 2015)
Fri, Sep. 11, 9:19 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) reports revenue rose 5.7% in Q2 before factoring in fuel sales.
- Identical supermarket sales increased 5.3% (ex-fuel).
- FIFO gross margin rate -7 bps to 21.5%.
- Return on invested capital, on a rolling four quarters basis, came in at 14.24%.
- Guidance: Identical supermarket sales growth of 4.0% to 5.0% is anticipated for FY15. The company says it expects FY15 EPS of $1.92-$1.98 vs. $1.90-$1.95 prior and $1.96 consensus.
- Previously: Kroger beats by $0.04, beats on revenue
- KR +6.95% premarket to $37.86.
Fri, Sep. 11, 9:11 AM
Thu, Jun. 25, 11:50 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) announces a two-for-one stock split and new $500 share repurchase program.
- The company's quarterly dividend is also lifted to $0.21/share which will fall to a $0.105 level after the split.
- Previously: Kroger blasts past all comers (Jun. 18 2015)
- Previously: The Kroger Co. declares $0.105 dividend
- KR +1.33% to $73.91 vs. the all-time high of $77.74 in late March.
Thu, Jun. 18, 8:48 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) reports identical store sales rose 5.7% in FQ1 (ex-fuel).
- FIFO gross margin rate -7 bps to 22.1%.
- Operating expense rate -15 bps.
- Rent expenses were flat at 0.7% of total sales.
- Guidance: Kroger sees FY15 EPS of $3.80-$3.90 vs. $3.87 consensus.The view on comp sales is lifted by the company to a range of 3.5%-4.5% vs. 3.0%-4.0% prior.
- Previously: Kroger beats by $0.03, misses on revenue
- KR +2.39% premarket to $74.65.
Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:03 PM
- Kroger (KR +5.2%) jets higher on strong volume after another powerful earnings report.
- The company reported identical-supermarket sales rose by 6% (ex-fuel) during the quarter.
- Key acquisitions Harris Teeter and Vitacost also paid off.
- Kroger sees identical-supermarket sales growth of 3% to 4% next year.
- Victory lap: The death-by-Walmart argument that was thrown around on Kroger a few years ago appears to be soundly defeated.
- Shares of Kroger hit an all-time high of $74.32 earlier today.
- Previously: Kroger beats by $0.14, beats on revenue
Thu, Mar. 5, 9:15 AM
Thu, Mar. 5, 8:42 AM
Dec. 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
- The S&P 500 Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 0.3% today despite the negative action in the broader market.
- A forecast for sustained lower oil prices is the major reason for the upswing.
- Top 20 XRT holdings showing gains: Limited Brands (LB +0.6%), Whole Foods Markets (WFM +0.4%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +0.3%), Ross Stores (ROST +0.7%), Kroger (KR +0.9%), Advance Auto Parts (AAP +0.4%), Target (TGT +0.4%), Zumiez (ZUMZ +0.3%), CST Brands (CST +1.3%).
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:40 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) reports identical-supermarket sales rose 5.6% in Q3 to extend an impressive streak of 44 straight quarters with a positive comp.
- The company says its FIFO gross margin rate fell 2 bps to 21.24% in the quarter.
- FY14 EPS guidance is raised to $3.32-$3.36 vs. $3.22-$3.28 prior and $3.29 consensus.
- KR +4.0% premarket.
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:32 AM
Jul. 2, 2014, 10:57 AM
- Shares of Vitamin Shoppe (VSI -1.9%) and GNC Holdings (GNC -0.8%) slip lower in what appears to be a reaction to competitive threat posed by the acquisition of Vitacost.com (VITC +27.1%) by Kroger (KR -0.2%).
- Retail analysts think deal looks like a strategic fit for Kroger with the e-commerce platform and linked fulfillment centers form Vitacost giving it plenty of new growth channels.
Jul. 2, 2014, 8:10 AM| Jul. 2, 2014, 8:10 AM | Comment!
Jun. 19, 2014, 8:46 AM
The Kroger Co operates retail food and drug stores, multi-department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores throughout the United States. It also manufactures and processes some of the food for sale in its supermarkets.
Other News & PR