Dec. 9, 2014, 2:22 PM
- Kohl's (KSS) says it will keep stores open for over 100 straights hours between December 19 and December 24.
- The department store chain is using the marathon stretch to allow shoppers to take advantage of its shop online and pick up in stores option.
- Several retain chains have reported strong demand for the store pickup option.
Dec. 4, 2014, 10:31 AM
- Shares of Destination Maternity (DEST -7.8%) slide after the company misses earnings estimates.
- A frank assessment from the company on a misfire with its assortment to millennial-aged moms-to-be strikes a bit of a chord across the apparel and department store sector.
- Many of the earnings hits and misses this quarter have been tied to on-trend or off-trend assortments. A millennial group which is hard to nail down is becoming a bigger part of that puzzle.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, RL, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, KORS, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, KORS, UA, GIII, SQBG, HBI, SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, SHLD, BONT, GPS, GES, URBN, TJX.
Dec. 1, 2014, 7:50 AM
- Comscore estimates e-commerce spending rose 32% on Thanksgiving Day to $1.01B and 26% on Black Friday to $1.51B.
- Most retail analysts are sticking with their forecast for 4.0%-4.5% growth for holiday sales this year, with early shopping and e-commerce making up for a dip in store traffic on Black Friday.
- Apparel sellers in particular came out with a stronger online push this year.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:AMZZ, EBAY, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS, FDX, UPS, DKS, BBY, LULU, KATE, VRA, SPLS.
Nov. 14, 2014, 9:15 AM
Nov. 13, 2014, 7:25 AM
- Kohls (NYSE:KSS) declares $0.39/share quarterly dividend, in line with prior.
- Forward yield 2.69%
- Payable Dec. 24; for shareholders of record Dec. 10; ex-div Dec. 8.
Nov. 13, 2014, 7:24 AM
- Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) reports comparable-store sales fell 1.8% in Q3.
- The retailer's gross margin rate fell 30 bps to 37.2%.
- Operating income rate -130 bps to 6.9%.
- Merchandise inventory flat at $4.97B.
- Store count +5 Y/Y to 1,163.
- KSS -1.6% premarket.
Nov. 13, 2014, 7:05 AM
- Kohl's (NYSE:KSS): Q3 EPS of $0.70 misses by $0.04.
- Revenue of $4.37B (-1.6% Y/Y) misses by $40M.
Nov. 12, 2014, 5:30 PM
Nov. 8, 2014, 9:25 AM
- Energy companies finally are starting to halt a few new U.S. drilling projects as oil prices fall, which Barclays believes may put the U.S. oil boom at risk but "on balance, we believe lower oil prices are good.”
- If strong U.S. energy growth is interrupted, spending in the sector could be cut by $40B, but consumers could save $70B next year as the price at the pump falls for gasoline and diesel, according to Barclays head of U.S. equity strategy Jonathan Glionna.
- The most likely beneficiaries would be discretionary areas such as restaurants, entertainment, apparel, electronics and furniture, he says.
- Glionna lists 27 stocks that could benefit from lower oil prices: AAL, AGCO, AXL, BERY, BLMN, BWLD, CHH, CLX, DE, DPZ, FDX, GM, HD, KMB, KR, KSS, MHK, MMM, PENN, PPG, SAVE, SHW, TGT, UPS, VAL, WMS, WMT.
Nov. 6, 2014, 1:27 PM
- Apparel seller Ann issued a warning today on the impact of labor uncertainty at West Coast ports as part of its Q4 guidance.
- The retailer expects $8M in extra air freight costs due to product shipment delays.
- There's also been some reports of delays at ports in the Seattle and Tacoma area which account for 16% of container cargo traffic on the West Coast.
- Analysts fret that more companies will resort to air freight to ensure stores are stocked in front of the Black Friday rush.
- Apparel and footwear stocks: SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, KATE, ANN, PERY, LULU, RL, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, KORS, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL.
Oct. 31, 2014, 1:21 PM
- The odds aren't good for a national roll-out of smartphone payments solution CurrentC, according to USA Today's Jeff Graham.
- The retail consortium admitted to a hacking incident earlier this week and has lost momentum with Apple Pay dominating headlines.
- Inside the network, Meijer broke ranks with fellow MCX members by moving to accept Apple Pay with its hardware.
- CurrentC was created to help the retail industry bypass credit card fees.
- Partial list of MCX members: LUV, GPS, DNKN, KR, TGT, WMT, BBBY, KSS, SHLD, WEN, BBY.
Oct. 31, 2014, 11:34 AM
Oct. 28, 2014, 9:13 AM
Oct. 27, 2014, 5:57 PM
- With October sales having been "softer than the balance of the quarter," Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) expects to report a 1.4% Y/Y drop in FQ3 comparable sales. FY14 (ends Jan. '15) sales are now expected to be at the low end of a $4.05-$4.45 guidance range; consensus is at $4.30.
- FQ3 children's comparable sales are expected to be up Y/Y, but other segments are expected to be down. Kohl's forecasts a 30%+ increase in e-commerce sales.
- The guidance cut comes ahead of Kohl's Wednesday investor conference.
Oct. 27, 2014, 5:40 PM
Oct. 25, 2014, 12:34 PM
- Labor issues and a shortage of trucking equipment at the critical port complex in the Long Beach, California region threaten to disrupt shipments of holiday products to retailers.
- Delays are running up to two or three weeks, according to port officials.
- What to watch: Retailers potentially impacted by the port turmoil include Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Macy's (NYSE:M), Kohl's (NYSE:KSS), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP), Ralph Lauren (NYSE:RL), American Eagle Outfitter (NYSE:AEO), Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN), and Carter's (NYSE:CRI).
Kohl's Corp. owns and operates family-oriented department stores. It offers exclusive brand apparel, shoes, accessories and home & beauty products through its department stores. The company's stores offer apparel, footwear and accessories for women, men and children; soft home products, such as... More
Industry: Department Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR