Nov. 4, 2013, 6:57 AM
Oct. 26, 2013, 11:57 AM
- Barron's thinks Kohl's (KSS) — which Lawrence Strauss says has been "about as interesting as a pair of khaki pants" — is finally set to "live up to its retail motto 'Expect Great Things.'"
- Strauss says investors are protected on the downside by the company's dividend and penchant for buybacks and notes that with a little help from "modest" revenue growth and higher margins, the shares could rise by 20% or more.
Oct. 22, 2013, 6:44 AM
Oct. 10, 2013, 2:54 PM
- The government shutdown might have put a stop to the release of many economic reports, but at MasterCard the data crunching continues to go on.
- A new report from MasterCard Advisors finds September retail sales were up 3% Y/Y - a deceleration from the pace seen early in the summer.
- Though apparel and department stores (DDS, JCP, KSS, M) showed weakness, Internet sales (AMZN, EBAY, BBY, TGT) were up at a double-digit clip.
- Sales in the hardware and furniture & furnishings (LZB, ETH, HVT, RH,BSET, LEG) sectors were affected by fears over the impending government shutdown.
- MasterCard PR
Oct. 3, 2013, 7:40 AM
- The NRF has a fairly optimistic forecast out for holiday sales, but separating the winners from the losers in retail could come down to online execution.
- ShopperTrak sees foot traffic falling in both November and December with malls in the U.S. getting hit the hardest.
- Potential online winners: Macy's (M), Urban Outfitters (URBN), Gap (GPS), Under Armour (UA), Zale (ZLC).
- Mall laggards: Sears Holdings (SHLD), J.C. Penney (JCP), Dillards (DDS), Kohl's (KSS).
Sep. 27, 2013, 7:10 AM| Sep. 27, 2013, 7:10 AM | Comment!
Sep. 23, 2013, 9:35 AM
- Younger men are changing the stereotype of the gender by becoming more willing to enter new frontiers, comparison shop, and use coupons - according to data from a new study by WSL Strategic Retail.
- The shift in attitude has caught the attention of sellers such as Lululemon (LULU) and Michael Kors (KORS), with both retailers expanding their menswear lines.
- What to watch: The "new world" of male shoppers looks to be more promotional-based and as the group enters the work force is hitting a different part of the retail scene (JWN and KSS vs. (MW and JOSB?)
Sep. 19, 2013, 1:35 PM
- Kohl's (KSS +0.1%) says it will hire 53K holiday season workers this year which works out to almost 40 additional associates per store.
- Though the retailer says the hiring binge marks a 10% increase over last year's total, analyst warn a disrupted season last year (election, Hurricane Sandy) makes year-over-year comparisons trickier.
Sep. 8, 2013, 10:12 AM
- Economists forecast retail sales rose 0.4% in August which will mark a slight acceleration from July's pace, although they note auto sales likely accounted for a good portion of the month's momentum.
- The early read on September for U.S. retailers is that a continuation of weak mall traffic and a heightened promotional stance is occurring.
- By sector, retailers with a mix of healthcare products (WAG, COST) or sitting in the sweet spot where consumer "trade down" (TJX, ROST, SIG) to their products are holding up better than many apparel sellers (AEO, ARO, LTD, GPS, M, KSS).
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
Sep. 6, 2013, 7:28 AM
- Analysts don't think the challenges facing apparel retailers in the U.S. will go away anytime soon.
- Pent-up demand in the housing and auto sector has crowded out consumer spending on clothes to push the sector into a highly-promotional stance heading into the Back to School and holiday seasons.
- While retailers selling appliances (CONN, HD, LOW) are forecast to benefit from the trend, mall-based chains (KSS, BKE, ANF, WTSL, ZUMZ, GPS, URBN, GES, PSUN, ARO, EXPR, AEO, JCP, M, DDS) are on watch.
Sep. 5, 2013, 10:20 AM
Aug. 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
- Retail traffic to U.S. stores has declined in 8 out of the last 10 weeks, according to data compiled from ShopperTrak.
- Though a few on-trend firms such as Michael Kors (KORS +0.1%) and Express (EXPR +8.5%) are still firing on all cylinders, and a heat wave in the Midwest has had an effect, the overall trend for the back-to-school season and holiday season looks weak.
- Analysts also think consumers are likely to pick up their reliance on deals as discretionary spending on housing and automobiles "crowds out" normal outlays.
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
- Related stocks: APP, AEO, ANF, AZO, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, HD, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LTD, LULU, M, NDN, ODP, ORLY, PIR, RGS, RL, SKS, SPLS, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, UNFI, URBN, VFC, WMT, WRC, ZLC.
Aug. 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
- A consumer paradigm shift toward "things that last" could disrupt the critical holiday shopping season, according to retail analysts.
- After a Q2 which saw Home Depot (HD), Lowe's (LOW), Best Buy (BBY), hhgregg (HGG), and Conn's (CONN) report solid sales for appliances, a fresh forecast from IBM sees much of the same for H2 with discretionary spending tightening for apparel and incidentals.
- Looking for the trend to end: AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, JCP, JWN, KSS, LTD, M, NDN, NKE, PIR, PLCE, RL, RSH, SKS, SPLS, TGT, TIF, TJX, URBN, WMT, WSM, BKE, PSUN, ZUMZ, EXPR
Aug. 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
- Kohl's (KSS +4.9%) trades higher as investors reward the retailer for showing some gains in margins.
- Sterne Agee analysis: The investment firm notes the national weather outlook for a cool, wetter early fall lands in Kohl's sweet spot for its assortment.
- BMO analysis: Kohl's stable sales trends and gross margin improvement could help support the company's share price. The retailer's level of free cash flow is also viewed as attractive.
Aug. 15, 2013, 8:19 AM
- Kohl's (KSS) met analyst estimates for Q2, but the retailer's guidance is in focus.
- The outlook for full-year EPS is trimmed to $4.15-$4.35, from a prior range of $4.15-$4.45.
- The retailer's ability to grow comparable store sales during the same quarter Macy's fell back is a positive sign.(PR)
- KSS +1.8% premarket.
Aug. 15, 2013, 7:02 AM
Kohl's Corp operates department stores that sell moderately priced exclusive and national brand apparel, footwear, accessories, beauty and home products. Its website includes merchandise available in stores, and merchandise available only on-line.
Other News & PR