Jun. 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
- Channel checks from Deutsche Bank indicate the promotional cadence in the retail sector has been dialed back a notch from the level seen in Q1.
- The investment firm sees less promotional activity from retail beasts Wal-Mart (WMT +0.3%) and Target (TGT +0.2%) - while department store chains such as Kohl's (KSS +0.7%), Nordstrom (JWN +0.6%), and Dillard's (DDS -0.1%) have also shown some improvement.
- J.C. Pennney (JCP +1%) is a tougher nut to crack for DB with its radical changes in pricing strategy making the year-over-year comparison less informative.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, PMR, RCD
Jun. 12, 2014, 8:52 AM
- Department stores (DDS, M, SSI, BONT, SHLD, JCP, KSS, JWN) showed sluggish growth in May. Sales in the sub-category fell 1.4% M/M and 2.0% Y/Y.
- As expected, building material & garden sales (HD, LOW) showed some late-spring strength. Sales rose 1.1% M.M and 4.6% Y/Y.
- The catch-all miscellaneous store retailers category (ODP, PETM) packed the biggest month-over-month pop of all at 1.8%.
- Full Retail Sales report (.pdf)
May 15, 2014, 7:08 AM
- Kohl's (KSS) reports comparable-store sales fell 3.4% in Q1.
- The department store operator's gross margin rate fell 40 bps to 36.8% during the period,
- KSS hasn't seen its first premarket trades yet.
May 15, 2014, 7:02 AM
- Kohl's (KSS): Q1 EPS of $0.60 misses by $0.03.
- Revenue of $4.07B (-3.1% Y/Y) misses by $150M.
May 14, 2014, 5:30 PM
May 14, 2014, 10:21 AM
- Shares of Sears Holdings (SHLD +0.4%) have retreated quite a bit from an early rush after the company disclosed it's looking at options to sell Sears Canada.
- Though there are a few retail chains such as Primark or Uniqlo which might consider the acquisition for a quick entry into Canada, plenty of retail analysts think the stumbles by Sears and Target (TGT -0.2%) in the region will scare off many retail chains from the gambit. Macy's (M -0.1%) and Kohl's (KSS -2%) come to mind.
- A P-E buyout is being viewed as a likely scenario, while there is a chance Hudson's Bay could play a little defense on its home turf.
May 13, 2014, 1:01 PM
- Kohl's (KSS +0.1%) is planning a major shakeup with upper management, according to reporting from the WSJ.
- The moves come on top of a search by the department store operator for a new chief merchant.
- Kohl's CEO Kevin Mansell is highly regarded in the industry, but things could get a bit testy for him if the back-to-school season doesn't go well, according to retail analysts.
Apr. 28, 2014, 11:14 AM
- A number of beat-up department store stocks are showing surprising strength to start off the week.
- J.C. Penney (JCP +7.6%), Sears Holdings (SHLD +3.3%), Kohl's (KSS +1.9%), and Bon-ton Stores (BONT +2.2%) are making the strongest moves.
- Retail analysts attribute the rally to some positive channel checks in the sector, while recent positive comments from execs at V.F. Corp and Phillips-Van Heusen haven't hurt sentiment. (VFC cc transcript, PVH cc trancsript)
Mar. 25, 2014, 9:59 AM
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Department store sales outpaced overall retail sales in February with a 0.7% M/M gain.
- A pickup in traffic during the last half of the month helped sales, but the category showed a 4.8% Y/Y drop in an indication of just how far mall traffic has dropped off.
- Related stocks: DDS, M, SSI, BONT, SHLD, JCP, KSS, JWN.
Mar. 5, 2014, 9:06 AM
- A recent poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC indicates 63% of American support raising the minimum wage.
- Though the Republicans are expected to challenge anything brought to the floor of the House, there's a growing consensus in DC that some minimum wage legislation will eventually pass.
- Democrats argue that the current minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour is low by historical standards when adjusted for inflation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:38 AM
- Total FQ4 sales of $6.099B fell 3.8% from a year ago, with comparable store sales off 2%. EPS of $1.56 compares to $1.66 a year ago. Last year's FQ4 included an extra week in which sales were $169M.
- Gross margin of 34% is up 70 basis points from last year.
- Fiscal 2014 EPS guidance of $4.05-$4.45 on total sales expected to increase 0.5-2.5%. Comparable store sales to increase 0-2%.
- KSS no trades premarket
- CC at 8:30 ET
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:13 AM
- Kohl's Corporation (KSS): Q4 EPS of $1.56 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $6.1B (-3.8% Y/Y) in-line.
Feb. 27, 2014, 12:05 AM| Feb. 27, 2014, 12:05 AM
Feb. 26, 2014, 5:30 PM| Feb. 26, 2014, 5:30 PM | 1 Comment
Feb. 26, 2014, 2:44 PM
- Three Senate Democrats have broken away from Majority Leader Harry Reid's $10.10/hour line in the sand on minimum wage legislation.
- Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas, and Mark Warner of Virginia have all tipped off that they think there could be some room to negotiate over the amount of an increase over the current federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. The GOP likes the status quo, but is viewed as likely to give some ground in an election year.
- Federal minimum wage legislation could create higher costs in the retail and restaurants sectors as companies adjust to the new higher floor.
- Last week, Gap made a preemptive move to raise its own hourly wage in a development that stirred the pot a little bit.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT.
Kohl's Corp. owns and operates family-oriented department stores. It offers exclusive brand apparel, shoes, accessories and home & beauty products through its department stores. The company's stores offer apparel, footwear and accessories for women, men and children; soft home products, such as... More
Industry: Department Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR