Mon, Nov. 9, 2:10 PM
- Shares of Norfolk Southern (NSC +12.2%) and Canadian Pacific (CP +6%) spike on reports the companies are considering a merger.
- The speculation is giving a lift to a good portion of the sector with CSX (CSX +3.7%), Union Pacific (UNP +2.2%), and Kansas City Southern (KSU +2.9%) all notable movers.
- Railroad M&A talk has picked up this year as some market caps have moved down.
Tue, Oct. 27, 3:29 PM
- Railroad and trucking stocks are down today on a mix of news seen as negative for the transportation sector. UPS reported lower package volume in Q3 and durable-goods orders fell in September.
- Decliners include Norfolk Southern (NSC -3.6%), Union Pacific (UNP -5.1%), CSX Corporation (CSX -3.8%), Kansas City Southern (KSU -4.4%), Canadian Pacific(CP -5.4%), Canadian National Railway (CNI -3.9%), Genesee & Wyoming (GWR -5.3%), XPO Logistics (XPO -11.8%), Echo Global Logistics (ECHO -12.6%), C.H. Robinson Worldwide (CHRW -2.8%), Radiant Logistics (RLGT -7.9%), FedEx (FDX -1.4%), Air T (AIRT -5.9%), and Air Transport Services (ATSG -3.2%).
- The iShares Dow Jones Transportation ETF (NYSEARCA:IYT) is down 2.7%.
- Related: Tough day for four wheelers (Oct. 27)
Thu, Aug. 27, 3:58 PM
- Kansas City Southern (KSU +3.9%) is upgraded to Hold from Sell at Stifel, believing the stock has been sufficiently beaten down and is now fully valued.
- The firm says its previous rating had been based on poor company guidance related to overly optimistic expectations in oil, auto and intermodal, but the story has fully played out and KSU eventually could become "interesting" as those stories turn around.
- Railroads are broadly higher today: CSX +4.9%, NSC +5.1%, UNP +3.2%, GWR +6.6%, CNI +3.1%, CP +5.5%.
- Earlier: Stifel Nicolaus sees upside for CSX
Thu, Aug. 20, 10:11 AM
- Believing the company will be pressured by declining coal volumes and that its valuation still isn't cheap, Macquarie's Cleo Zagrean has downgraded Union Pacific (UNP -2.4%) to Neutral.
- Zagrean: "We now no longer expect that UNP will be able to achieve its 60+/- by full year '19 OR target ahead of time, and see further downside to our growth outlook if in fact more than 50% of the upcoming gas capacity translates into coal displacement rather than feeding new electric demand growth." 2016 and 2017 estimates have been cut by 2%-4%.
- At the same time, Zagrean has upgraded Kansas City Southern (KSU -0.8%) to Outperform, arguing it's the only railroad still seeing double-digit growth. "KSU becomes our top pick in US rail given the superior growth profile in a space where we continue to see mid single digit downside to LT EPS expectations. We would also pair KSU long against UNP short or GWR short given the potential for earnings surprises and the relative resilience of valuation multiples." His 2017 EPS estimate has been raised by 2%.
Wed, Jun. 24, 11:16 AM
- Select railroad and trucking stocks trade weak after Q1 GDP figures are revised in-line with expectations. A read yesterday on durable goods was weak.
- Stocks from the transportation sector drifting lower include Knight Transportation (KNX -4.5%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -5.5%), ArcBest (ARCB -3.9%), YRC Worldwide (YRCW -2.2%), Greenbrier (GBX -1.6%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.6%), Kansas City Southern (KSU -2.2%), Celadon Group (CGI -2%), JB Hunt Transport (JBHT -2.1%), Trinity Industries (TRN -1.6%).
- FedEx (FDX -0.9%) and UPS (UPS -0.8%) are also trailing broad market averages.
Thu, May 14, 9:30 AM
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) trades lower after withdrawing 2015 guidance.
- The company released the information at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Transportation Conference where execs warned on uncertainty in the energy markets and F/X volatility.
- KSU -2.8% premarket.
Tue, Apr. 21, 9:27 AM
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) reports adjsuted operating margin fell 12 bps to 31.14% in Q1.
- Revenue by segment: Chemical & Petroleum: $114.8M (+9.0%); Industrial & Consumer Products: $146M (-2.0%); Agriculture & Minerals: $105.6M (-7.0%); Energy: $66.6M (-15.0%); Intermodal: $95M (+8.0%); Automotive: $54.4M (+4.0%).
- Total carload volume rose by 1% to 540.2K during the period.
- Revenue per carload/unit declined 2.0% to $1,078.
- KSU -2.21% premarket.
Mon, Mar. 23, 8:31 AM
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) revises full-year 2015 guidance.
- The railroad operator expects low single-digit revenue after originally seeing growth at a mid single-digit rate.
- The guidance revision is due in part to a drop in energy market transport volume.
- F/X and a drop-off in fuel surcharge revenue are also expected to be factors in Q1 and beyond.
- KSU -4.24% premarket to $110.79.
Fri, Jan. 23, 8:35 AM
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) reports operating margin rose 143 bps to 33.29% in Q4.
- Revenue by segment: Chemical & Petroleum: $115.3M (+8.98%); Industrial & Consumer Products: $151.1M (+1.07%); Agriculture & Minerals: $113.7M (-4.53%); Energy: $76.5M (+8.66%); Intermodal: $102.4 (+8.47%); Automotive: $60.6M (+13.27%).
- Total carload volume rose by 5% to 569.8K during the period.
- Revenue per carload/unit declined 0.28% to $1,087.
- KSU -1.78% premarket.
Dec. 8, 2014, 3:20 PM
- Another tough day for railroad stocks as oil prices slide again.
- There's been some brave talk that the railroad sector has already seen the developments in the oil industry factored into share prices, but today's action indicates concerns on crude transport is still a concern.
- Decliners: Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) -5.5%, Canadian National Railway (NYSE:CNI) -1.7%, Genesee & Wyoming (NYSE:GWR) -2.9%, Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) -2.7%, Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) -3.1%, CSX Corporation (NYSE:CSX) -2.8%, Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) -3.5%, Pioneer Railcorp (OTCPK:PRRR) -4.3%.
Nov. 28, 2014, 12:05 PM
Oct. 17, 2014, 9:16 AM| Oct. 17, 2014, 9:16 AM | Comment!
Oct. 13, 2014, 10:08 AM
- There's some bets being placed on M&A activity within the railroad sector after a weekend report of interest by Canadian Pacific in CSX (CSX +12.6%) stirs the pot.
- Gainers: Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) +5.1%, Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) +4.2%, Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) +3.2%, Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) +1.0%, Canadian National Railway (NYSE:CNI) +1.3%.
Jan. 24, 2014, 9:41 AM
Jan. 24, 2014, 9:10 AM
Oct. 18, 2013, 9:57 AM
Kansas City Southern Inc operates domestic & international rail operations in North America focused on the growing north/south freight corridor connecting key commercial & industrial markets in the central USA with industrial cities in Mexico.
Other News & PR