Wed, Sep. 14, 2:48 PM
- We have the lowest interest rates in a thousand years, but "I can promise you, the economy isn't the worst it's been in those past thousands of years," says Loews Corp. (NYSE:L) CEO Jim Tisch. "The Fed has gotten themselves into a hole of zero interest rates and they don’t know how to get out.”
- Loews' CNA Financial (NYSE:CNA) is among those insurers struggling to match returns with liabilities thanks to microscopic rates. "“Everything is so picked over that it’s really difficult ... That’s causing, in my opinion, all manner of problems in the investing world."
- Portfolio managers all know, he says, that they're going to take a loss on their long-term paper, so they're trying to keep duration as short as possible.
Tue, Aug. 9, 1:06 PM
Mon, Aug. 1, 6:04 AM
Sun, Jul. 31, 5:30 PM
Wed, May 18, 5:38 PM
Tue, May 10, 10:42 AM
Mon, May 2, 7:57 AM
- Q1 net income of $102M or $0.30 per share vs. $109M and $0.29 one year ago. Income this year was hurt by $17M of investment losses vs. investment gains of $8M a year ago. Book value per share (excl. AOCI) of $52.98 vs. $52.72.
- CNA Financial income of $86M vs. 304M a year ago. Diamond Offshore of $83M vs. a loss of $287M. Boardwalk Pipeline of $99M vs. $77M. Loews Hotels of $9M vs. $10M.
- 900K shares bought back during quarter for $33M, along with 300K shares of CNA Financial for $8M.
- Conference call is at 11 ET
- Previously: Loews misses by $0.22 (May 2)
- L flat premarket
Mon, May 2, 6:10 AM
- Loews (NYSE:L): Q1 EPS of $0.30 misses by $0.22.
Sun, May 1, 5:30 PM
Tue, Feb. 9, 11:51 AM
- Loews Corporation (NYSE:L) declares $0.0625/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 0.69%
- Payable March 14; for shareholders of record March 1; ex-div Feb. 26.
Mon, Feb. 8, 6:05 AM
- Loews (NYSE:L): Q4 EPS of -$0.58 may not be comparable to consensus of $0.78.
- Revenue of $3.52B (+5.7% Y/Y)
Sun, Feb. 7, 5:30 PM
Nov. 10, 2015, 12:51 PM
- Loews (NYSE:L) declares $0.0625/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 0.66%
- Payable Dec. 11; for shareholders of record Nov. 30; ex-div Nov. 25.
Nov. 2, 2015, 11:19 AM
- Q3 net income from continuing operations of $182M or $0.50 per share vs. $179M and $0.47 one year ago.
- Diamond Offshore earnings of $47M up from $25M a year ago. Last year had a $55M impairment charge - excluding this, earnings declined amid lower rig utilization and increased depreciation and interest expense. Boardwalk Pipeline earnings of $18M up from $8M. CNA Financial earnings of $190M up from $164M; investment loss of $29M vs. a gain of $24M a year ago.
- Book value per share (excl. AOCI) of $52.59 up from $50.32. Current price is $36.97.
- 8.7M shares repurchased during quarter for total cost of $328M. 16.3M shares repurchased in nine months ended Sept. 30 for $633M. 3.3M shares bought back during October for $120M. The float is over 360M shares.
- Conference call is underway
- Previously: Loews misses by $0.09 (Nov. 2)
- L +1.25%
Nov. 2, 2015, 6:02 AM
- Loews (NYSE:L): Q3 EPS of $0.50 misses by $0.09.
- Revenue of $3.17B (-9.9% Y/Y)
Nov. 1, 2015, 5:30 PM