Tue, Jul. 12, 9:58 AM
- Airline stocks are making strong gains on a flurry of positive news.
- The investment in LATAM Airlines (LFL +23.9%) by Qatar Airways is having a ripple effect across other global carriers. Copa Holdings (CPA +7.9%), Avianca Holdings (AVH +8.1%), and Go Linhas (GOL +7.8%) are all solidly higher.
- In the U.S., a stronger-than-anticipated report from United Continental (UAL +7.7%) on its key Q2 revenue metric is the highlight along with a sweeping upgrade from Deutsche Bank.
- The investment firm raises United, American Airlines Group (AAL +8.6%), and Delta Air Lines (DAL +4.7%) to Buy from Hold.
- "We are of the view that all known negatives (Brexit, tepid global economic growth, over-supplied markets, etc.) are more than fully discounted in the share prices which are, on average, trading at 6.4x our 2016 EPS estimates and 6.8x our 2017 EPS estimates," reads the note from DB.
- Alaska Air Group (ALK +4.3%), JetBlue Airways (JBLU +4%), Southwest Airlines (LUV +3.4%), and Spirit Airlines (SAVE +3.3%) are all higher as well.
- The U.S. Global Jets ETF (NYSEARCA:JETS) is up 3.86% on the day.
Tue, Jul. 12, 9:24 AM
Mar. 18, 2015, 9:40 AM
- Revenue breakdown: Passenger: $2.53B (-10.9%); Cargo: $457.25M (-4.7%); Other: $120.97M (+48.6%).
- Overall load factor increased 110 bps to 75.8% and passenger load factor rose 120 bps to 83.8%.
- Operating margin rate +170 bps to 8.6%.
Mar. 13, 2015, 9:45 AM
- China Eastern Airlines (CEA) and China Southern Airlines (ZNH +5.4%) are off to a flying start with oil prices lower and stocks in China broadly higher.
- The story is mixed for Latin America airline stocks with both Gol Linhas (GOL -1.5%) and LATAM Airlines Group (LFL -0.8%) lower, while Copa Holdings (CPA +1.2%) is up in-line with global airline index averages.
- In the U.S. airline sector, the move in oil has Republic Airways (RJET +2.6%), Delta Air Lines (DAL +2.1%), United Continental (UAL +1.5%), Virgin America (VA +0.9%), and Spirit Airlines (SAVE +1.1%) making moves.
Nov. 28, 2014, 10:05 AM
- Global airline carriers rip gains after OPEC decides to hold production levels steady to spark another drop in crude oil prices.
- As a group, airliners are poised to have their biggest up day of the year.
- Gainers: China Eastern Airlines (CEA +5.8%), Delta Air Lines (DAL +5.3%), China Southern Airlines (ZNH +5.5%), Air China (OTCPK:AIRYY +6%), Cathay Pacific (OTCPK:CPCAY) +6.7%, Air-France KLM (OTCQX:AFLYY) +8.5%, Deutsche Lufthansa (OTCQX:DLAKY) +5.9%, Singapore Airlines (OTCPK:SINGY) +4.8%, Gol Linhas (GOL +5.9%), Copa Holdings (CPA +3.2%), LATAM Airlines Group (LFL +3.2%), Air Canada (OTC:AIDFF) +8.9%
Oct. 27, 2014, 1:39 PM
May 13, 2013, 7:08 AMGlobal airline stocks trade weak in European markets after concerns about a new virus intensify. The novel coronavirus infection has killed over 34 people and can be transmitted between humans, according to the World Health Organization. On watch: Delta Air Lines (DAL), United Continental (UAL), China Eastern Airlines (CEA), China Southern Airlines (ZNH), Copa Holdings (CPA), Gol Linhas (GOL), Latam Airlines (LFL), Air France-KLM (AFLYY.PK), Deutsche Lufthansa (DLAKY.PK) | May 13, 2013, 7:08 AM
Mar. 15, 2013, 5:31 PM
Dec. 13, 2012, 9:51 AM
Airline stocks trade higher after IATA raises its profit forecast for the sector. The trade group says it expects airlines to hit a profit level of $6.7B this year, up from a prior estimate of $4.1B. The lift is due to "improving efficiency and restructuring," says IATA director-general Tony Tyler.| Dec. 13, 2012, 9:51 AM | 1 Comment
Jun. 12, 2012, 2:33 PM
Brazilian airline Tam (TAM +5.5%) says it will delay a share-swap auction to June 22 to give shareholders more time to approve its merger with Lan Airlines (LFL -0.5%) that would create Latin America’s largest airline. The number of holdouts among Tam's minority shareholders surprises analysts, but the takeover is not likely to be derailed.| Jun. 12, 2012, 2:33 PM
Feb. 29, 2012, 3:13 PM
Spain's Repsol (REPYY.PK -5.6%) follows shares of its Argentine subsidiary YPF sharply lower on worries President Fernandez could announce greater intervention into the oil giant's operations on Thursday. The Argentina ETF: ARGT -2.4% - also taking a hit as YPF no doubt makes up a nice chunk of its holdings.| Feb. 29, 2012, 3:13 PM
Dec. 14, 2011, 1:26 PM
Dec. 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
South American carrier Lan Airlines (LFL +2.1%) gains after reporting strong November passenger statistics. Traffic increased 13.4% on a 15.1% rise in capacity, while its load factor decreased 1.3 points to 80.3%, with about 65.6% of total passenger traffic coming from international passengers.| Dec. 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
Sep. 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
Aug. 23, 2011, 3:13 PM
Aug. 15, 2011, 9:54 AMAirline stocks (FAA +2.4%) outpace the broad market as investors take a second look at a sector sharply sold off in the last two weeks. Helane Becker of Dahlman Rose upgrades the group on low valuation, after holdings sells and neutrals on carriers for most of the year. Gainers: JBLU +4.4%, TAM +3.8%, UAL +3.1%, LCC +3.9%. | Aug. 15, 2011, 9:54 AM