Lord Baltimore • 26 Comments
Tue, May 31, 12:50 PM
Wed, Mar. 2, 8:58 AM
- Lincoln Educational Services (NASDAQ:LINC) reports revenue from continuing operations fell 8.1% in Q4 as a result of 9.3% decline in average student population to 7,548.
- Transportation and skilled trades revenue dropped 5.6% to $46.84M due to 6.6% decline in average student population.
- Transitional revenue squeezed 43.1% to $2.02M.
- SG&A expense rate dropped 110 bps to 41.3% for the period.
- Operating margin rate flat Y/Y at 9.1%.
- Adjusted EBITDA decreased 2% to $10.96M.
- Enrolled students -817 Y/Y to 6,811.
Nov. 13, 2015, 12:48 PM
Jul. 10, 2015, 12:45 PM
Apr. 27, 2015, 1:37 PM
- For-profit education stocks are getting bashed after Corinithian Colleges (COCO -25.9%) closes all of its schools in a development that throws a spotlight on the sector.
- CNBC reports it's the largest shutdown in the history of higher education in the U.S.
- Previously: Education stocks on watch after Corinthian Colleges shuts down (Apr. 27 2015)
- Decliners: Apollo Education (NASDAQ:APOL) -1.5%, Career Education (NASDAQ:CECO) -7.1%, Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA) -1.7%, Lincoln Education (NASDAQ:LINC) -1.3%, Education Management (NASDAQ:EDMC) -4.1%, National American University Holdings (NASDAQ:NAUH) -1.8%, American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI) -1.3%.
Feb. 17, 2015, 5:37 PM
Aug. 6, 2014, 12:45 PM
May 22, 2014, 11:39 AM
- Dropping alongside Apollo Education Group on rumor of an Ackman short: ITT Education (ESI -24.1%), Strayer (STRA -4.2%), DeVry (DV -2.1%), Career Education (CECO -2.1%), Grand Canyon (LOPE -2.6%), American Public (APEI -2.8%), Education Management (EDMC -2.4%), Bridgepoint Education (BPI -2.4%), Lincoln Education (LINC -1.4%).
Apr. 8, 2014, 12:45 PM
Feb. 27, 2014, 1:47 PM
- "ITT Educational Services (ESI -2.2%) believes that the CFPB's complaint should never have been filed. The complaint overwhelmingly focuses on issues that are unrelated to consumer finance, and attempts to cast a negative light on aspects of ITT Tech's activities that are extensively regulated by other government agencies."
- The core of the CFPB's claims concern just six months of loans, but the bureau knows, says ITT, independent parties provided those loans and the programs ended years ago. "Significantly, ITT Tech did not make any money, in interest or fees, from those third-party programs, which were designed to help students during the recent economic downturn."
- "Much of the complaint relies on 'mystery shoppers,' a program that ITT Tech itself voluntarily uses to make sure its policies are being followed by its employees, and to help ensure that errors in implementation are caught and corrected."
- "The complaint is an aggressive attempt by the Bureau, recently created by the Dodd-Frank Act, to extend its jurisdiction into matters well beyond consumer finance. It is unjustified as a matter of law and mistaken as a matter of fact."
- That's the point, says Herb Greenberg. "It creates a roadmap ... other for profits should shudder."
- Previous coverage of CFPB suit
- Other sector names: APOL, CECO, COCO, DV, STRA, LOPE, APEI, EDMC, LINC
Jan. 23, 2014, 5:36 PM
Jan. 8, 2014, 11:38 AM
- Education stocks are ripping gains up and down the sector after Apollo Education (APOL +12.7%) showed the way to profitability.
- The slice-and-dice job at the company did wonders for Q1 EPS, but didn't cut into FY14 revenue projections.
- Investors are betting other for-profit players will follow the road map.
- Gainers: CECO +7.4%, COCO +1.8%, DV +5.1%, STRA +5.5%, ESI +4.7%, LOPE +2.6%, APEI +1.8%, EDMC +3.5%, LINC +2.4%.
Oct. 9, 2013, 8:05 AM
- The for-profit education sector could see some action today after K12 reported enrollment figures below expectations and received several harsh downgrades due to the low demand the company expects.
- In premarket trading, K12 (LRN) has cratered and is down 23.4%.
- On watch: CECO, APOL, STRA, COCO, ESI, ITT, BPI, LINC, DV.
Jul. 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
Shares of Apollo Group (APOL +8%) soar after accreditation is reaffirmed for the University of Phoenix through 2022-23 although the online school is "on notice" for two years. "You could argue that if [it] was genuinely good news they would have issued a full-blown press release like BPI," Herb Greenberg quips. Across the sector: LINC +2.87%, LOPE +1%, EDMC +8.9%, STRA +1.9%, COCO +1.2%.| Jul. 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
Jun. 26, 2013, 3:42 PM
Apollo Group (APOL -9.2%) slumps after its Q3 earnings report shows University of Phoenix enrollment and new degreed enrollment fell 17% and 24.5% Y/Y respectively during the period. For their part, Barrington Research believes the company "will continue to disappoint investors as macroeconomic trends and company‐specific issues continue to put pressure on student starts." Across the sector: COCO -1.8%, STRA -2.96%, LOPE -0.41%, LINC -8%, ESI and EDMC flat.| Jun. 26, 2013, 3:42 PM
Jun. 24, 2013, 2:05 PM
Shares of Education Management Corporation (EDMC -11.4%) slide double-digits, bringing two-day losses to more than 20% as the for-profits add to Friday's losses amid the broad market turmoil. Rundown: APOL -0.94, COCO -0.93%, STRA -1.86%, LOPE -0.86%, LINC -5.15% (previous), ESI -4.97%.| Jun. 24, 2013, 2:05 PM | 2 Comments