Wed, Oct. 5, 7:37 AM
- Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica inks an agreement with Eli Lilly's (NYSE:LLY) Elanco U.S. unit to sell a portfolio of U.S. canine, feline and rabies vaccines, in addition to a fully integrated manufacturing and R&D site, to Elanco for $885M. The deal is contingent on antitrust approval and the closing of Boehringer's asset swap with Sanofi (NYSE:SNY) announced in June. The transaction should close in Q1 2017.
Tue, Sep. 20, 4:59 PM
- Clovis (NASDAQ:CLVS) has always been considered an acquisition target with a “long list” of potential suitors including Eli Lilly (NYSE:LLY), Merck & Co. (NYSE:MRK) , and Roche, Janney tells Bloomberg in an interview.
- CEO Patrick Mahaffy has sold other companies including Pharmion, NeXstar Pharmaceuticals.
- Clovis closed +12.7% and is up another 7.7% AH. Earlier today the stock jumped when Gilead (NASDAQ:GILD) said it is looking for cancer deals.
- Clovis's PDUFA date for ovarian cancer drug rucaparib is Feb. 23, 2017.
Jan. 1, 2015, 9:27 AM
- Novartis (NYSE:NVS) has completed the $5.4B sale of its animal-health division to Eli Lilly (NYSE:LLY).
- The sale of the unit is part of a complex overhaul at NVS that will focus the company on three core businesses: innovative pharmaceuticals, eye care, and generics.
- As a result of the transaction, Novartis will record an exceptional pretax gain of about $4.6B in Q1 of 2015.
Oct. 3, 2014, 7:45 AM
Sep. 1, 2014, 8:20 AM
- EU antitrust authorities will decide whether to clear Eli Lilly's (NYSE:LLY) $5.4B offer for Novartis' animal health division (NYSE:NVS) by Oct. 3.
- The acquisition is part of several deals recently announced in the healthcare industry, and would create the world's second-largest animal health company.
Feb. 4, 2014, 2:33 PM
- Novartis (NVS -0.7%) reportedly is drawing interest for its human vaccines unit as talks to swap its animal health business for assets from Merck (MRK +2.6%) slow down.
- While the vaccines unit was initially on the table with animal health as part of the possible trade for MRK’s over-the-counter drugs business, NVS may now sell the vaccines unit separately in a deal that could be valued at ~$1B.
- NVS and MRK are still talking but agreeing on valuation is proving difficult, so NVS has informally talked to Eli Lilly (LLY -0.1%) and Bayer (BAYRY, BAYZF) about the animal health business, according to the report.
Dec. 10, 2013, 7:16 AM
- Novartis (NVS) is reportedly considering an attempt to swap its animal-health division with a business owned by Merck (MRK) or another company.
- The Swiss firm, which apparently has little use for the cash that a sale or IPO would bring, has its eye on Merck's over-the-counter drug business, although it's not clear whether the latter would be open to such an exchange.
- Novartis' animal-health unit has drawn interest from German drugmakers Boehringer Ingelheim and Bayer (OTCPK:BAYZF), and from Eli Lilly (LLY).
Jul. 1, 2013, 8:16 AM
Onyx (ONXX) shares rocket 51% to $130.98 after the company says that it's rejected a $120/share offer from Amgen (AMGN +0.6%) and that it's seeking buyers after receiving inquiries. There's no shortage of speculation about who could acquire Onyx, with Bayer (BAYZF.PK), Celgene (CELG), Novartis (NVS), Bristol-Myers (BMY), AstraZeneca (AZN), Eli Lilly (LLY), Gilead (GILD) and Pfizer (PFE) all mentioned. However, Forbes' Matthew Herper notes that potential blockbuster blood-cancer drug Kyprolis has only received accelerated FDA approval, which can be revoked. Big Pharma may have wanted to await further trial results later this year amid concerns about Kyprolis' safety.| Jul. 1, 2013, 8:16 AM | 2 Comments
Apr. 17, 2013, 8:37 AM
Eli Lilly (LLY) agrees to acquire two imaging agents from Siemens (SI) that are designed to show brain deposits of tau, a protein that's linked with Alzheimer's disease and cell death. The acquisition of the agents, which are radiopharmaceutical tracers used with PET scans, add to Eli's Amyvid tracer that can detect beta amyloid, another protein linked with Alzheimer's. Financial details of the deal weren't disclosed. (PR)| Apr. 17, 2013, 8:37 AM
Jan. 31, 2012, 11:21 AMCompanies lining up to take a hard look at buying a stake in Turkish drugmaker Mustafa Nevzat Ilac Sanayii in a deal that may value the company at $1B include GSK, LLY, PFE, ABT and MYL. Merrill Lynch reportedly has sent teasers to potential bidders and non-binding bids have begun to arrive; bidding may be done within two months. | Jan. 31, 2012, 11:21 AM
Dec. 14, 2011, 7:50 AMFitch is establishing a negative 2012 outlook for pharmaceutical companies, arguing soft demand, patent expirations, and government spending cuts will take a toll on the industry; the patent expirations (I, II, III) are seen affecting LLY, BMY, and PFE the most. Fitch also sees pharmas responding to these challenges by stepping up their M&A activity. | Dec. 14, 2011, 7:50 AM
Sep. 1, 2011, 4:15 PM
Jul. 7, 2011, 5:52 AM