Tristan R. Brown
Dec. 17, 2015, 11:52 AM
- Alliant Energy (LNT +5.1%) is sharply higher after saying late yesterday it had reached a settlement with two other Wisconsin utilities to gain their backing for LNT's plan to build a power plant next to the existing Riverside generator near Beloit.
- We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service say they will support the project after agreeing to work together with LNT on other generation projects that could include renewable resources.
- The two other utilities had tried to block LNT's proposal to build a $700M, 650 MW natural gas-fueled power plant, saying enough electricity already is being generated in Wisconsin.
Mar. 4, 2014, 10:43 AM
- Utilities that meet takeover criteria outlined by Warren Buffett this weekend for another “major” acquisition after paying more than $5B last year for electricity provider NV Energy include Wisconsin Energy (WEC +1.8%) and Alliant Energy (LNT +1.1%), Bloomberg speculates.
- WEC and LNT operate in states with favorable regulatory environments, and LNT is expanding into renewable energy, which Buffett has signaled could be a focus for large investments, according to Morningstar; pipeline MLPs such as Plains All American (PAA) and MarkWest Energy (MWE) also could appeal to Buffett, a Baird analyst says.
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) “is likely looking at a lot of small, regulated utilities that have a lot of growth on the table where his low cost of capital is an incredible advantage,” Morningstar's Mark Barnett says.
Dec. 7, 2011, 9:41 AM
Alliant Energy's (LNT +1.4%) recent moves to revise provisions for executive pay and employee retirement plans in case of a takeover sparks speculation that the operator of power plants in Wisconsin and Iowa could sell itself to Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) or Wisconsin Energy (WEC).| Dec. 7, 2011, 9:41 AM