What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Jan. 28, 2014, 10:36 AM
- Winter weather has forced 2,973 flight cancellations today which brings the weekly total to 5,928.
- Reports indicate that the brutal weather has cut into business travel significantly which could pinch profits a bit for the industry in Q1.
- Though U.S. carriers can sometimes improve load factors and profit-per-seat amid high levels of cancellations, if business demand is trimmed the group feels more pain.
- Related stocks: AAL, JBLU, DAL, UAL, LUV, ALK, HA, SAVE, RJET.
Jan. 28, 2014, 6:49 AM
Jan. 27, 2014, 11:07 AM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV -1.4%) announces its first international flights with routes to Aruba and Montego Bay
- Flights that AirTran Airways makes to international destinations will also be wrapped under Southwest's banner later this year.
Jan. 27, 2014, 7:30 AM
Jan. 23, 2014, 8:19 AM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV) grew its revenue per available seat mile by 6.1% during Q4 even as the carrier stretched out flights lengths.
- Fule and oil expenses were down 9.2% from a year ago.
- The carrier says "strong travel demand" trends have carried into January.
- LUV +2.7% premarket
Jan. 23, 2014, 8:02 AM
- Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV): Q4 EPS of $0.33 beats by $0.04.
- Revenue of $4.43B (+5.5% Y/Y) beats by $40M.
Jan. 23, 2014, 12:05 AM
Jan. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jan. 16, 2014, 3:45 PM
- The average airfare climbed 2% last year to $363.42 to mark the 4th consecutive year the industry managed to raise prices.
- The 2% increase is fares is only mild compared to the costs airliners have eliminated by paring back unprofitable routes and increasing their load factors. Another drop in the revenue bucket is the $3.4B U.S. airlines raked in last year in baggage fees.
- Fares are expected to increase again in 2014 with four companies - American Airlines Group, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, and United Continental - dominating market share.
- Related stocks: LUV, UAL, DAL, AAL, JBLU, ALK, HA, RJET, SAVE, ALGT, SKYW.
Jan. 15, 2014, 1:11 PM
- A jump in oil prices is taking some of the tailwind out of the extended airline stock rally.
- The sector is showing its sharpest loss of the year relative to market indexes.
- Decliners: Republic Airways (RJET) -2.4%, Delta Air Lines -2.3%, Southwest Airlines (LUV) -2.1%, JetBlue (JBLU) -1.8%, United Continental (UAL) -1.6%.
Jan. 9, 2014, 4:00 PM
- Deutsche Bank sees profits for the airline industry in 2014 of $7.6B, up 13% from last year's level.
- The positive capacity trend started in 2013 will extend into this year giving investors a fresh bite at the apple despite the decent-sized returns airline stocks have run up.
- "A more rational airline industry not only means improved financial returns and ample free cash flow, but excess cash to return to shareholders," writes analyst Michael Linenberg.
- The investment firm is playing favorites, naming United Continental (UAL), American Airlines (AAL), Southwest Airlines (LUV), and Delta Air Lines (DAL) as it top picks in that order.
- Previous: UAL lead big rally in airline stocks.
Jan. 9, 2014, 10:14 AM
- Airline stocks are off and flying in the opening hour of trading.
- United Continental (UAL +11%) is leading the charge after reporting it saw per-seat revenue rise 12.5% in December.
- An oddity of the airline industry is that mass cancellations sometimes improve performance metrics as the percentage of filled seats improves for flights flown.
- The rest of the sector is buying into the theory as well: Alaska Air (ALK) +4.5%, American Airlines Group (AAL) +5.9%, Delta Air Lines (DAL) +4.8%, Southwest Airlines (LUV) +2.1%, Hawaiian Holdings (HA) +1.3%.
Jan. 6, 2014, 3:20 AM
- Airlines have cancelled over 9,000 flights and delayed thousands of others over the past four days as winter storms dump snow over huge swathes of the country.
- The Midwest is experiencing the coldest weather in almost 20 years, with the highest temperatures in Chicago not even expected to reach zero degrees fahrenheit (-18 degrees celsius).
- The storm is heading towards the East Coast, which already experienced a major whiteout at the end of last week.
- Related tickers: DAL, AAL, LUV, JBLU, ALK, RJET, HA, SAVE, UAL, LUV, SKYW, ALK
Jan. 3, 2014, 5:20 PM
- Airline stocks were flying high today, led by Delta Air Lines (DAL) after it reported better than expected December revenue, as consolidated passenger unit revenue jumped 10% Y/Y driven by continuing strong demand and benefits from the timing of the Thanksgiving holiday; DAL also enjoyed lower than expected fuel costs for the month.
- After DAL's announcement, S&P Capital IQ raised its rating on DAL shares to Strong Buy from Buy, lifted its estimates for 2013 and 2014 profits, and hiked its price target to $40 from $30 in the belief that DAL is likely to continue to take in more per-seat revenue than other airlines.
- DAL rose 5.5%, just missing a 52-week high, while Southwest (LUV) gained 2.8% and hit 52-week highs.
- Also: UAL +5.8%, AAL +4.6%, JBLU +5.2%, HA +7.1%, RJET +6.2%, SAVE +4.2%, ALK +1.8%, SKYW +1.2%.
Jan. 3, 2014, 7:06 AM
- U.S. airliners face a new challenge with the start of federal rules on pilot rest.
- Staring tomorrow, the FAA mandates that the hours of the day that a pilot works and how many time zones they have traveled will be part of the matrix for how much rest they will need between flights.
- Most airliners have plans to hire extra pilots to address the new regulations.
- Related stocks: DAL, AAL, LUV, JBLU, ALK, RJET, HA, SAVE, UAL.
Jan. 3, 2014, 5:05 AM
- A severe snow storm on the Eastern Seaboard has caused around 1,300 flights to be canceled and over 200 to be delayed.
- The governors of New York and New Jersey have declared states of emergency and urged residents not to venture out.
- However, New York's MTA expects all subway services to run local through most of AM peak, which should mean that financial workers have a way to get to work.
- Related tickers: LUV, UAL, DAL, AAL, JBLU, LCC, ALK, HA, SAVE, ALGT, RJET,
Other News & PR