MAKO Surgical Corp.NASDAQ
Sep. 25, 2013, 10:36 AM
- Stryker (SYK -2.3%) "is paying 12.4x EV/sales [for MAKO] on our 2013 sales estimate which is relatively high," Wells Fargo's Larry Biegelsen notes, adding that "the 2 most recent ortho deals, MDT's acquisition of Kanghui and SYK's acquisition of Trauson went for 11.6x and 8.7x, on an EV/sales basis respectively."
- Nevertheless, Biegelsen thinks SYK is getting a "differentiated asset" — Wells has been bullish on MAKO since May. SYK is reiterated at Outperform.
- TheStreet's Antoine Gara notes that as of September 13, 22% of MAKO's float was sold short.
- More on the deal here
Sep. 25, 2013, 8:52 AM
Sep. 25, 2013, 8:14 AM
- Mako Surgical (MAKO) shareholders get welcome news, as Stryker (SYK) is set to acquire the medical device company for $30/share, an 86% premium to Tuesday's close.
- SYK CEO Kevin Lobo is particularly excited about what the deal means for the future of joint reconstruction: "Our combined expertise offers the potential to simplify joint reconstruction procedures, reduce variability and enhance the surgeon and patient experience," he says.