Stephen Simpson, CFA • 21 Comments
Sep. 25, 2013, 4:11 PM
- Also getting a boost Wednesday from the Stryker-Mako (SYK, MAKO) deal was Hansen Medical (HNSN) which posted double-digit gains (+14%) for the session.
- Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) and Accuray (ARAY) finished the day higher by 1% and 1.9% respectively.
- Meanwhile, commentary continues to come in regarding the seemingly high price SYK paid in the deal. BMO's Joanne Wuensch says that despite the lofty premium, "it makes a lot of sense [as] SYK takes a step forward into robotic surgery and consolidates its orthopedic silo."
- Previous coverage here
Sep. 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
Sep. 25, 2013, 10:36 AM
- Stryker (SYK -2.3%) "is paying 12.4x EV/sales [for MAKO] on our 2013 sales estimate which is relatively high," Wells Fargo's Larry Biegelsen notes, adding that "the 2 most recent ortho deals, MDT's acquisition of Kanghui and SYK's acquisition of Trauson went for 11.6x and 8.7x, on an EV/sales basis respectively."
- Nevertheless, Biegelsen thinks SYK is getting a "differentiated asset" — Wells has been bullish on MAKO since May. SYK is reiterated at Outperform.
- TheStreet's Antoine Gara notes that as of September 13, 22% of MAKO's float was sold short.
- More on the deal here
Sep. 25, 2013, 9:15 AM
Sep. 25, 2013, 8:52 AM
Jul. 31, 2013, 9:12 AM
Jul. 30, 2013, 4:23 PM
- The number of MAKOplasty procedures performed in Q2 rises 26% Y/Y and 10% sequentially.
- 10 RIO systems were sold in Q2 versus five in Q1.
- Outlook is unchanged at 45-48 RIO systems sold and 13,500-14,500 MAKOplasty procedures performed. MAKO +8.16% AH. (PR)
Jul. 30, 2013, 4:12 PM
- Mako Surgical (MAKO) Q2: EPS -$0.42 misses by $0.21.
- Revenue of $28.2M (+19% Y/Y) misses by $0.65M.
- 3,274 MAKOplasty procedures performed during the period. Shares +5.93% AH. (PR)
May 28, 2013, 2:34 PM
Shares in Mako Surgical (MAKO +11.3%) move up today on heavy volume, pushing up towards the top of a channel its's traded in for most of this year after Wells Fargo ups their rating to Outperform from Market Perform. Wells thinks that MAKO’s new hip software for its RIO robot addresses concerns that have limited its adoption since launching in September 2011. The firm expects hip procedure growth, which represents a significantly large percentage of its projected revenue stream, should accelerate following the release of the software around July.| May 28, 2013, 2:34 PM
May 28, 2013, 9:14 AM
Apr. 9, 2013, 2:48 PM
Mako Surgical (MAKO +4%) gains on an upgrade to Neutral by Mizuho Securities, raising it's price target from $12 to $14. Mizuho says that after being nearly halved over the past seven months due to growth concerns, consensus 2013 estimates are achievable. The company still has plenty of room for growth in uni-knees, the firm notes, even when you account for new robotics competitors.| Apr. 9, 2013, 2:48 PM
Apr. 4, 2013, 5:47 PM
Feb. 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
Feb. 26, 2013, 5:02 PM
More on Mako Surgical (MAKO): Q4 misses across the board on an 8% decline in total sales Y/Y. For FY13, the company anticipates selling 45 to 48 RIO systems, versus a total of 45 RIO systems sold worldwide in 2012, and estimates its customers will perform 13,500 to 14,500 MAKOplasty procedures, versus 10,204 procedures performed in 2012. Shares +4.5 % AH.| Feb. 26, 2013, 5:02 PM | 3 Comments
Jan. 17, 2013, 5:40 PM
Jan. 7, 2013, 9:59 AM
MAKO Surgical (MAKO) -5.8% but recovering from earlier lows after saying that it sold 15 of its Rio surgical systems in Q4 and 45 in 2012, taking the total installed based to 156. The number of orthopedic MAKOplasty procedures performed +29% Y/Y to 2,904 in Q4. Sells 11 MAKOplasty Total Hip Arthroplasty (THA) applications, of which three were sold to existing customers. THA procedures performed +31% Q/Q. (PR)| Jan. 7, 2013, 9:59 AM | 1 Comment