Mon, Aug. 15, 4:06 PM
Thu, May 12, 4:03 PM
Wed, Mar. 30, 4:05 PM
- Marathon Patent (NASDAQ:MARA): FY'15 EPS of -$0.48.
- Revenue of $19M (-11.2% Y/Y).
Thu, Mar. 3, 4:52 PM
- Marathon Patent (NASDAQ:MARA): Q4 operating loss of $7.3M
- Revenue of $7.1M (+429.9% Y/Y) misses by $3.4M.
Tue, Feb. 23, 6:26 PM
- Marathon Patent Group's (NASDAQ:MARA) planned merger with Luxembourg-based security patent owner Uniloc has been terminated. Neither company will get a breakup or termination fee.
- The deal, originally announced last August, called for Marathon investors to own 45% of the post-merger company, and Uniloc investors the rest. Marathon CEO Doug Croxall: "Uniloc and Marathon share a common vision of data-driven success in patent licensing. While the timing might not have worked at this juncture, we will remain in contact with Uniloc and its executive team about future possibilities."
Wed, Jan. 6, 12:45 PM
Nov. 17, 2015, 12:47 PM
Nov. 16, 2015, 4:04 PM
- Marathon Patent (NASDAQ:MARA): Q3 EPS of -$0.26 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $6.4M (-52.4% Y/Y) beats by $1.6M.
Oct. 2, 2015, 9:54 AM
- An Eastern Michigan federal court has denied a joint motion by Ford and Fiat Chrysler to stay all proceedings for Marathon Patent's (NASDAQ:MARA) infringement suits against the companies pending patent reexamination and inter partes reviews.
- The cases were moved to Michigan from California's Central District (CDCA) in May. Trials for 8 cases still in CDCA are expected to commence on March 15, 2016.
- Two months ago: Marathon merging with Luxembourg's Uniloc
Aug. 14, 2015, 5:49 PM
- Along with its Q2 results, Marathon Patent Group (NASDAQ:MARA) announces it's merging with Uniloc, an owner of security tech patents, in an all-stock deal.
- Marathon investors will own 45% of the post-merger company, and Uniloc investors 55%. The new company will be known as Marathon Group, and be domiciled in low-tax Luxembourg. Current Marathon chairman/CEO Doug Croxall will retain his position; Uniloc CEO Craig Etchegoyen will be chief IP officer. Unlioc CFO Drake Turner will be Marathon Group's CFO, and current Marathon CFO Francis Knuettel its COO.
- Marathon/Uniloc have $37.5M in combined licensing revenue over the last 12 months, and expect to have active litigation against 119 alleged infringers through 2017. The companies have a combined portfolio of 662 patents.
- Update (6:14PM ET): Marathon is up 11.3% in AH trading following the news.
Aug. 14, 2015, 5:10 PM
- Marathon Patent (NASDAQ:MARA): Q2 EPS of -$0.32 in-line.
- Revenue of $1.37M (-64.1% Y/Y) misses by $2.9M.
Jul. 2, 2015, 12:04 PM
- In a preliminary opinion, a Munich court has ruled Joline GmbH, Signus Medizintechnik GmbH and PanMedical infringe Marathon's (MARA +2.8%) '260 European patent.
- The decision follows a June 19 ruling upholding the validity of the patent's claims, following a challenge by Stryker. Marathon says it's seeking "an equitable licensing agreement, much like the one just executed with Maxxspine Limited, which involves a lump sum royalty payment for products already sold, as well as a running royalty rate for future sales."
- Shares are up moderately. They tumbled last month after a Delaware jury ruled against Marathon partner Bridgestone in an infringement suit.
Jun. 12, 2015, 12:45 PM
Jun. 11, 2015, 12:29 PM
- A Delaware jury has ruled against tire maker Bridgestone in its infringement suit against Schrader-Bridgeport International. Marathon (NASDAQ:MARA) had "advised [Bridgestone] and provided substantially all of the financing of this litigation," and owns "contract rights to the revenue associated with the outcome of this case."
- Marathon CEO Doug Croxall: "We are clearly disappointed by the jury's ruling. It is a decision Bridgestone will promptly appeal as we believe the jury erred in their verdict. This outcome has no bearing on our German case and we remain confident in the validity and infringement of our European patent ... Marathon has invested in a diversified portfolio consisting of 413 patents across 19 different subsidiaries, 12 of which are in active litigation with approximately 50 defendants."
- Shares had plunged on the verdict before Marathon put out a PR. They remain at their lowest levels since 2013.
Jun. 11, 2015, 11:06 AM
- Marathon Patent (NASDAQ:MARA) has cratered on volume of 1.54M shares, far above a 3-month daily average of 105K.
- No news has hit the wires yet, but drops of this magnitude for IP licensing firms are typically due to legal setbacks ... of which there have been many for the group over the last year.
- Update: A jury ruling in an infringement suit by Marathon partner Bridgestone was the culprit.
Jun. 9, 2015, 4:04 PM
- Marathon Patent's (NASDAQ:MARA) MedTech Development and Orthophoenix subsidiaries have entered into a license agreement. The licensee's name is undisclosed due to a confidentiality agreement.
- The deal is said to cover "the German parts of European patent EP 1 938 765 B1 and EP 1 104 260 B2, both of which have been asserted in Germany and relate to medical devices involved in kyphoplasty surgery." Marathon adds Orthophoenix's patent portfolio covers IP related to bone-treatment techniques.
- Marathon rallied today on volume of 520K shares; the 3-month daily average is 95K. Licensing deals with Thomson Reuters and Nordstrom were announced last week.