Why Marathon's Share Price Could Double This Year
John H. Ford • 18 Comments
John H. Ford • 18 Comments
Tue, Feb. 23, 6:26 PM
- Marathon Patent Group's (NASDAQ:MARA) planned merger with Luxembourg-based security patent owner Uniloc has been terminated. Neither company will get a breakup or termination fee.
- The deal, originally announced last August, called for Marathon investors to own 45% of the post-merger company, and Uniloc investors the rest. Marathon CEO Doug Croxall: "Uniloc and Marathon share a common vision of data-driven success in patent licensing. While the timing might not have worked at this juncture, we will remain in contact with Uniloc and its executive team about future possibilities."
Aug. 14, 2015, 5:49 PM
- Along with its Q2 results, Marathon Patent Group (NASDAQ:MARA) announces it's merging with Uniloc, an owner of security tech patents, in an all-stock deal.
- Marathon investors will own 45% of the post-merger company, and Uniloc investors 55%. The new company will be known as Marathon Group, and be domiciled in low-tax Luxembourg. Current Marathon chairman/CEO Doug Croxall will retain his position; Uniloc CEO Craig Etchegoyen will be chief IP officer. Unlioc CFO Drake Turner will be Marathon Group's CFO, and current Marathon CFO Francis Knuettel its COO.
- Marathon/Uniloc have $37.5M in combined licensing revenue over the last 12 months, and expect to have active litigation against 119 alleged infringers through 2017. The companies have a combined portfolio of 662 patents.
- Update (6:14PM ET): Marathon is up 11.3% in AH trading following the news.
Feb. 3, 2015, 9:10 AM
- Spherix's (NASDAQ:SPEX) board has rejected a proposal from fellow IP licensing firm Marathon Patent Group (NASDAQ:MARA) "indicating Marathon's interest in acquiring Spherix in a stock-for-stock transaction valuing Spherix at a 15% premium above the recent market price of Spherix's common stock."
- Spherix CEO Anthony Hayes: "After careful review and consideration, our Board of Directors has unanimously determined that Marathon's unsolicited proposal substantially undervalues Spherix and does not reflect the value of the Company's patent portfolio and its current business."
- SPEX +9.7% to $1.02 in premarket trading; the company currently sports a $28M market cap. Marathon has a $98M market cap; its shares are unchanged premarket.
Sep. 25, 2014, 2:06 PM
- TLI Communications is the owner of U.S. patent 6,038,295, which covers a method for "recording, communicating and administering digital images." The patent is being asserted in a suit against Google, Facebook, Apple, and 15 other companies. (PR)
- Marathon Patent Group (MARA +2.7%) hasn't disclosed an acquisition price. The purchase comes after the USPTO denied a Facebook request for an inter partes review of the patent.
Sep. 30, 2013, 8:39 AM
- TeleCommunication Systems (TSYS) and Marathon Patent Group (MARA.OB) enter into a patent alliance in which Marathon is acquiring certain wireless data patents from TeleCommunication.
- The patents relate to synchronization of data across mobile devices and servers.
- Separately, TeleCommunication sold 3 patents relating to an open architecture development platform with centralized synchronization to an undisclosed buyer.
Marathon Patent Group, Inc. is a patent and patent rights acquisition and licensing company. It acquires patents and patent rights from patent holders ranging from individual inventors to fortune 500 companies. The company was founded on February 23, 2010 and is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA.
Industry: Business Services
Country: United States
Other News & PR