Today, 7:28 AM
- Nomura lifts McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) to a Buy rating after having the restaurant stock set at Neutral.
- The investment firm sets a price target of $139 on MCD vs. the 52-week range of $110.33 to $131.96.
- Shares of McDonald's are up 0.67% to $119.03 in premarket trading.
Thu, Dec. 1, 8:41 AM
- A consortium led by China state-owned investment firm Citic and PE firm Carlyle is very close to striking a deal to buy McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) stores in China and Hong Kong.
- A deal price of between $2B and $3B is being reported by Financial Times.
- A finalized transaction is expected to be announced before Christmas.
- MCD -0.42% premarket to $118.77.
Tue, Nov. 29, 12:01 PM
- McDonald's (MCD -1.2%) is expanding its testing of using fresh beef at its restaurants.
- Never-frozen patties are now available at 75 restaurants in Oklahoma to follow on the initial pilot program in Dallas.
- There's no indication that the company has the ability to expand the concept nationally, but some analysts are already fretting.
- "I have major concerns over food safety and our lack of ability to serve a large number of customers quickly," Nomura analyst Mark Kalinwosku warned earlier this year about going from frozen to fresh.
Tue, Nov. 29, 8:08 AM
- Credit Suisse takes McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) off its Focus List, although it maintains an Outperform rating.
- The consensus price target on MCD from Wall Street firms stands at $126.21 vs. yesterday's close of $121.82 and the 52-week high of $131.96.
- The restaurant stock is heading into a bit of quiet period with no corporate events or presentations scheduled until Q4 earnings on January 23.
- MCD -1.17% premarket to $120.40.
Mon, Nov. 21, 9:28 AM
- JPMorgan thinks the recent rally in McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) may have played out the string on the restaurant stock.
- The investment firm removes MCD from it Analyst Focus list due to "limited" upside.
- JP sees capex spending as a potential drag.
- McDonald's closed right at $120 on Friday vs. the average Wall Street price target of $127. Shares are up 8.5% over the last four weeks.
Thu, Nov. 17, 12:52 PM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.1%) is planning to expand table service and self-ordering kiosks across all 14.2K U.S. stores after seeing solid results overseas and in domestic testing at 500 stores.
- The company will also debut mobile ordering in some key U.S. markets next year.
- Earlier this month, McDonald's tipped off that major changes were on the way through higher tech spending for automated kiosk and mobile platform development.
- CEO Steve Easterbrook tweeted a picture a few days ago of what appears to be a McDonald's ordering kiosk and a server with a handheld device.
- Previously: Developing: McDonald's to add table service to all U.S. restaurants (Nov. 17)
Thu, Nov. 17, 12:01 PM
- A Bloomberg headline indicates that McDonald's (MCD -0.3%) plans to bring table service to all U.S. restaurants.
- Details to follow.
Fri, Nov. 11, 8:44 AM| Fri, Nov. 11, 8:44 AM | 2 Comments
Wed, Nov. 9, 6:47 AM
- Voters in Arizona, Colorado and Maine voters approved boosting the minimum wage in their states to $12 per hour. Each state will see the hikes make their way to the $12 level after a series of graduated increases.
- The state of Washington approved increasing the minimum wage to $13.50 by 2020.
- The restaurant industry has already been under pressure, with labor costs as a percentage of sales on the rise. Other pockets of retail will also feel a sting from the higher minimum wage boost.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, QSR, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, HABT, NDLS, BOJA, PBPB, PLKI, FRSH, RAVE, LOCO, TACO, PZZA, KONA, BGR, BJRI, CHUY, FRS, CBRL, GTIM, TAST, WING, BOJA, ZOES, FOGO, ARCO, SHAK, YUM.
- Retail stocks: TGT, WMT, BIG, FIVE, DG, DLTR.
- Related ETF: BITE.
Fri, Nov. 4, 2:25 PM
- McDonald's (MCD -0.3%) says it stopped developing the Create Your Taste customization platform in the U.S. The customization concept was rather controversial with franchisee operators not keen on the operational end of the plan.
- The company is moving in the direction of expanding the Taste Crafted concept started in 2015 (also called Signature Crafted recipes). Available in beef or chicken sandwiches, the Taste Crafted menu includes Signature Buffalo Bacon, Pico Guacamole, Maple Bacon Dijon and Deluxe flavor options as well as three different bun varieties.
- Taste Crafted is only available at select California locations so far.
Thu, Nov. 3, 2:09 PM
- McDonald's (MCD -0.7%) plans to add the Grand Mac and Mac Jr. to its national menu in the early part of 2017 for a limited time.
- The Grand Mac included two 1/6 lb. patties, while the Mac Jr. has only one 1/6 lb. patty.
- Customer in Florida and Pittsburgh will get a crack at the new Big Mac variations in November.
Fri, Oct. 21, 8:09 AM
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) reports global comparable store sales increased 3.5% in Q3.
- Comparable store sales were 1.3% higher in the U.S., in-line with estimates and a solid mark considering the company was overlapping its All Day Breakfast introduction. The 1.3% gain also beats the broad industry average during the three-month period.
- Comparable-store sales growth were up 3.3% in the International Lead segment. The High Growth segment recorded a +1.5% comp and the Foundational segment comp was +10.1%.
- Total operating costs and expenses fell 7% to $12.818B.
- The company spent $3.4B in share repurchases and dividends during the quarter.
- Previously: McDonald's beats by $0.01, beats on revenue (Oct. 21)
- MCD +3.72% premarket to $114.68.
Fri, Oct. 21, 7:59 AM
Thu, Oct. 20, 5:30 PM
Tue, Oct. 18, 10:02 AM
- A pretty interest pullout from today's release of consumer price numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics was the comparison between food prices at home and at restaurants (H/T Jonathan Maze of Nations Restaurant News).
- September CPI data: Food at home -2.2% Y/Y and -0.1% M/M, food away from home +2.4% Y/Y and +0.2% M/M
- The high cost of eating out is seen by analysts as a major factor in why traffic has been falling this year. Rising healthcare and labor costs have pressured restaurant chains to ratchet up prices.
- Some related stocks: MCD, WEN, DIN, EAT, CBRL, QSR, JACK, BWLD, NDLS, PNRA, BJRI, BLMN, IRG, CAKE.
- Related ETF: BITE.
Mon, Oct. 17, 1:49 PM
- A judge has downsized a case filed against McDonald's (MCD -1.4%) over its liability for labor violations of franchisees.
- Claims made against the company for issues in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Indianapolis will be pushed down the road until after the National Labor Relations Board rules on joint employer conditions.
- Shares of McDonald's are at a 2016 low after the company disclosed it lost some key execs to retirement.
- Previously: More management shake-up at McDonald's (Oct. 16)