Medgenics Looking To Exploit Orphan Drug Market With Its Novel Biopump Protein Therapy Technology
- Biopump offers an innovative method of producing and delivering therapeutic proteins or peptides through the use of a patient's own skin.
- Biopump offers potentially significant advantages over traditional intravenous protein therapy.
- In September 2013, the company brought on new executive management with a specific goal of accelerating development of the Biopump technology, with a particular emphasis on orphan diseases.
- Biopump will be further validated in just-commenced Phase I/II trial in treatment of anemia via production and delivery of erythropoietin to patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease.
- Game plan includes in-house development of Biopump for orphan indications and potentially partnering for further development for an ESRD/CKD indication.