Wed, Feb. 11, 4:11 PM
Thu, Feb. 5, 9:56 AM
- The FDA approves Medtronic's (MDT +1%) Pipeline Flex embolization device for the treatment of large and giant brain aneurysms. The product is designed to divert blood flow away from the bulging vessel via implantation across the base or neck of the aneurysm.
- The Pipeline Flex is indicated for the endovascular treatment of complex intracranial aneurysms that are not amenable to treatment with surgical clipping and are attached to parent vessels measuring between 2.5 mm and 5.0 mm in diameter. About 500K people worldwide die each year from ruptured brain aneurysms, half younger than age 50.
- The commercial launch will commence in the coming weeks.
Tue, Feb. 3, 1:31 PM
- The FDA approves the Pre-market Approval (PMA) application for Medtronic's (MDT +1.5%) Melody Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve (TPV), which has been available since 2010 under a Humanitarian Device Exemption.
- More than 7,300 people have received the Melody TPV to date, including over 3,700 children. It is placed via a minimally invasive procedure to prolong the time between open-heart surgeries in patients with a dysfunctional right ventricular outflow tract conduit caused by congenital heart disease (CHD).
- CHD is the most common birth defect in the U.S., affecting ~40K babies each year.
Tue, Jan. 27, 8:23 AM
Thu, Jan. 22, 8:38 AM
- Covidien (COV) FQ1 results: Revenues: $2,686M (+1.8%), Advanced Surgical: $928M (+8.8%), General Surgical: $385M (-5.6%), Surgical Solutions: $1,313M (+4.1%), Vascular Therapies: $428M (+0.7%), Respiratory and Patient Care: $945M (-0.8%); COGS: $1,042M (-3.2%); R&D Expense: $133M (+6.4%); SG&A: $865M (+1.8%); Operating Income: $648M (+22.0%); Net Income: $511M (+28.4%); EPS: $1.12 (+28.7%).
- No guidance given.
Thu, Jan. 22, 8:02 AM
Wed, Jan. 21, 7:40 PM
- Endo International (NASDAQ:ENDP) +2.9% AH on news it will join the S&P 500 later this month, replacing Covidien (NYSE:COV) after its acquisition by Medtronic (NYSE:MDT), which is expected to close next week.
- Also, Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM) will take ENDP’s spot on the S&P MidCap 400, and Southside Bancshares (NASDAQ:SBSI) is tapped to join the S&P SmallCap 600.
Wed, Jan. 21, 5:30 PM
Mon, Jan. 12, 12:17 PM
Thu, Jan. 8, 4:28 PM
- Covidien's (NYSE:COV) Stellarex drug-coated angioplasty balloon (DCB) receives CE Mark clearance in Europe. The device is used to restore and maintain blood flow to the arteries of the leg in patients with peripheral artery disease.
- In November, the company entered into an agreement to sell the Stellarex platform to Spectranetics as required for FTC approval of its merger with Medtronic.
- Previously: FTC clears Medtronic/Covidien marriage (Nov. 26, 2014)
Mon, Jan. 5, 9:41 AM| Mon, Jan. 5, 9:41 AM | Comment!
Dec. 24, 2014, 12:13 PM
- United Therapeutics (UTHR +2.4%) submits a Pre-Market Approval (PMA) application to the FDA for the use of Medtronic's (MDT +0.7%) SynchroMed II implantable drug infusion system with Remodulin (treprostinil) to deliver the drug intravenously to patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- The company plans to submit a supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) in January to amend Remodulin's label to include the use of the drug with the device.
Dec. 19, 2014, 4:39 PM
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:06 AM
Dec. 2, 2014, 8:03 AM
- Medtronic's (NYSE:MDT) $17B bond offering to help finance its acquisition of Covidien is the year's largest. The tranches are:
- $500M aggregate principal amount (APA) Floating Rate Senior Notes (LIBOR + 0.80%) due March 15, 2020; $1B APA 1.500% Senior Notes due March 15, 2018; $2.5B APA 2.500% Senior Notes due March 15, 2020; $2.5B APA 3.150% Senior Notes due March 15, 2022; $4B APA 3.500% Senior Notes due March 15, 2025; $2.5B APA 4.375% Senior Notes due March 15, 2035 and $4B APA 4.625% Senior Notes due March 15, 2045.
- Closing date is December 10, 2014.
Dec. 2, 2014, 5:09 AM
- With a $17B issuance from Medtronic (NYSE:MDT), U.S. corporate bond sales broke an annual record yesterday, pushing offerings for 2014 past the $1.5T mark.
- The surge in sales has been boosted by record-low borrowing costs, prompting companies to lock in on the low rates.
- ETFs: HYG, JNK, LQD, HYLD, HYS, VCSH, SJNK, VCIT, VCLT, CORP, CSJ, SJB, BSJF, CIU, HYHG, BSJE, BSJG, CRED, ANGL, LWC, BSJI, HYLS, SCPB, CLY, WYDE, BSCF, BSCE, ITR, BSCH, UJB, HYZD, XOVR, IGHG, QLTA, THHY, BSCG, BSJH, BSCI, QLTC, SHYG, BSJJ, HYGH, HYND, TYTE, BSJK, IBCE, COBO, IGS, SLQD, BSCK, CBND, FCOR, LQDH, IBCB, LDRI, QLTB, BSCJ, IBCC, BSCM, IBDH, IBDF, BSCL, IBDD, IGU, IBDC, BSCN, IBDA, IBDB, IBCD, BSCO, SKOR, BSJL, BSJM
Medtronic PLC is engaged in providing medical technology alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life of people. It currently functions in three operating segments that manufacture and sell device-based medical therapies.
Other News & PR