What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Mon, Jan. 11, 12:29 PM
- Trading in Medtronic (MDT -0.7%) was halted at 12:27 pm ET pending news.
Jan. 21, 2015, 7:40 PM
- Endo International (NASDAQ:ENDP) +2.9% AH on news it will join the S&P 500 later this month, replacing Covidien (NYSE:COV) after its acquisition by Medtronic (NYSE:MDT), which is expected to close next week.
- Also, Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM) will take ENDP’s spot on the S&P MidCap 400, and Southside Bancshares (NASDAQ:SBSI) is tapped to join the S&P SmallCap 600.
Jun. 16, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jun. 16, 2014, 9:15 AM
Jun. 15, 2014, 9:37 PM
- Confirming earlier reports, Medtronic (MDT) is buying Covidien (COV) in a cash and stock deal valuing Covidien at $93.22 per share based on Medtronic's Friday close of $60.70. The price represents a near-30% premium to Covidien's Friday close.
- The transaction will have each share of Covidien converted into the right to receive $35.19 in cash and 0.956 shares of Medtronic.
- Medtronic expects the purchase to be accretive to cash earnings in the first fiscal year following the close (late this year, or early next), and significantly accretive thereafter, with $850M of annual pre-tax cost synergies by the end of fiscal 2018.
- As noted earlier, the purchase will have Medtronic moving its principal executive offices to Ireland, where corporate tax rates are lower than the U.S.
- Previously: Medtronic in talks for $40B+ Covidien deal
Jun. 4, 2014, 2:25 PM
- Bloomberg reports Medtronic (MDT +3.8%) is mulling a buyout offer for knee/hip implant maker Smith & Nephew (SNN +8.6%). SNN and i-banks are said to be "aware of Medtronic's interest.".
- The news service cautions Medtronic's prep work is at an early stage, and that "no offer is imminent." Nonetheless, Medtronic is viewed as "a more serious bidder" for SNN than Stryker (SYK -0.1%), previously rumored to be weighing an offer.
- Sources state a deal would likely result in Medtronic using SNN's corporate shell to change its legal residence to the U.K., and thereby take advantage of lower tax rates. Medtronic, which has a large offshore cash balance, has previously said it's open to a tax-inversion deal.
- Shares of both companies have spiked higher following the report. SNN's market cap is currently at $17B.
Jan. 17, 2014, 2:10 PM
- Medtronic (MDT +0.4%) says it received FDA approval, three months earlier than expected, to sell its CoreValve heart valve technology for patients too frail for traditional surgery approval.
- The approval allows MDT to begin competing against Edwards Lifesciences (EW -5.1%), whose similar Sapien device has been approved for a wider range of patients, including those who are eligible for surgery, but who are considered at high risk for complications.
- CoreValve is approved for patients with severe aortic stenosis who are too sick or frail to undergo open-heart surgery; in a clinical trial, patients receiving the device had a 25% rate of death or major stroke after one year vs. an estimated rate of 43% had the patients received medication therapy.
Jan. 8, 2014, 9:16 AM
- The FDA has accepted LabCorp's (LH) application for its diagnostic test to be used in the Phase 2B/3 "GENETIC-AF" trial of ARCA Biopharma's (ABIO) Gencaro drug for treating patients with atrial fibrillation.
- Patient enrollment for the testing, in which ARCA is collaborating with Medtronic (MDT) also, is due to begin this quarter.
- ARCA's shares soar 21%. (PR)
Jan. 6, 2014, 2:09 PM
- McKesson (MCK -0.1%) upgraded to Strong Buy from Outperform at Raymond James.
- DaVita (DVA +0.4%) upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform at Raymond James.
- Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX -0.3%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral at UBS.
- Abbott Labs (ABT +1.5%) upgraded to Overweight from Equalweight at Morgan Stanley.
- Medtronic (MDT +2%) upgraded to Overweight from Neutral at JPMorgan. Price target is $69.
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX +2.5%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral at UBS.
- Ocera Therapeutics (OCRX +2.7%) upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform at BMO.
- Boston Scientific (BSX +3.2%) upgraded to Overweight from Equalweight at Morgan Stanley.
- Exelixis (EXEL +4.6%) upgraded to Overweight from Neutral at Piper.
- St. Jude Medical (STJ +3.8%) upgraded to Overweight from Equalweight at Morgan Stanley.
Dec. 23, 2013, 5:35 PM
Dec. 17, 2013, 1:35 PM
- Salix Pharmaceuticals (SLXP -0.2%) upgraded to Buy from Hold at Stifel. Price target is $108.
- Medtronic (MDT +0.3%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral at Goldman. Price target hiked (by a buck) to $66.
- CareFusion (CFN -3%) cut to sell from Neutral at Goldman. Price target is $36.
- Ocera Therapeutics (OCRX -0.4%) initiated at Outperform at Cowen.
Dec. 9, 2013, 12:45 PM
Dec. 9, 2013, 9:15 AM
Nov. 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
- Japan's Central Social Insurance Medical Council approves reimbursement for Given Imaging's (GIVN +1.7%) PillCam COLON.
- Rate: ~$840/capsule, effective January 1. (PR)
Oct. 30, 2013, 3:54 PM
- Edwards Lifesciences (EW -5.2%) is under a bit of pressure today on the heels of Tuesday's update from Medtronic (MDT -0.9%) on the CoreValve system.
- At issue are sales of EW's Sapien transcatheter heart valves. "The CoreValve is now expected by the end of April 2014," Jefferies' Raj Denhoy says, lowering estimates for EW "given the earlier share loss."
- Analysts were already concerned about valve sales, with Leerink's Danielle Antalffy sounding a bit cautious after Q3 results were released on Monday: "Though [EW's] results were basically fine ... strong [overseas valve] sales offset [a] marginal U.S. [valve] miss."
Oct. 29, 2013, 3:04 PM
- After trading near the flat line for most of the session, Medtronic (MDT +1.4%) rallies as the company reports results from a U.S. pivotal trial of CoreValve.
- MDT says CoreValve reduced the rate of death or major stroke for "patients who were considered too ill of frail to have their aortic valves replaced through traditional open-heart surgery" — the results were "highly" statistically significant and the trial met both its primary and secondary endpoints.
- Additionally, the company says "the FDA has determined it has sufficient information to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the CoreValve System for [the extreme risk] patient group without the need for an external expert panel."
- MDT expects approval for this group by the end of next year. (PR)
Medtronic PLC is engaged in providing medical technology alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life of people. It currently functions in three operating segments that manufacture and sell device-based medical therapies.
Other News & PR