Money Investor • 12 Comments
Oct. 22, 2015, 12:03 PM
- The major averages are up 1.5%, and a strong existing home sales number this morning added to a beat in housing starts earlier this week, but the homebuilders are retreating.
- At work are weaker-than-hoped reports from PulteGroup (PHM -6.4%) and M/I Homes (MHO -5.7%).
- Pulte reported a decline in closings, with ASPs up just a hair vs. the 8% gain in sales prices a year ago. Home sales in Texas slumped 15%, and while net new orders for the company overall rose 8%, they fell 5% in that state.
- KB Home (KBH -4.3%), Toll Brothers (TOL -1%), Lennar (LEN -0.6%), Hovnanian (HOV +1.6%), D.R. Horton (DHI -1.2%)
- ETFs: ITB, XHB
- Previously: Sale price gains slow down at Pulte (Oct. 22)
- Previously: M/I Homes misses by $0.04, misses on revenue (Oct. 22)
Jun. 15, 2015, 9:44 AM
- Zigging higher while the rest of the market zags sharply lower are the homebuilders following this weekend's merger of Ryland Homes and Standard Pacific.
- While there have been a number of smaller deals over the past year, this one is more sizable, setting off hope of a broader - and necessary, according to some - consolidation in the fragmented sector.
- Lennar (LEN +1.9%), Toll Brothers (TOL +1.4%), M.D.C. Holdings (MDC +2.3%), M/I Homes (MHO -0.5%), NVR (NVR), D.R. Horton (DHI +1.5%), KB Home (KBH +0.7%), Beazer Homes (BZH +1.2%), PulteGroup (PHM +1.6%), Hovnanian (HOV flat)
- Previously: Industry eyes Ryland/Standard Pacific merger (June 15)
Mar. 20, 2015, 11:38 AM
- A good week for the homebuilders gets better after KB Home's FQ1 cruised through estimates, and the company said recently contracting profit margins are set to turn the other way for the rest of the year (the stock's up 7%).
- ITB +2.3%, XHB +1.6%
- Toll Brothers (TOL +3.2%), Hovnanian (HOV +2.5%), Lennar (LEN +3.6%), Pulte (PHM +2.8%), M/I Homes (MHO +3.6%), D.R. Horton (DHI +2.1%), Ryland (RYL +2.4%), Standard Pacific (SPF +2.8%).
- Previously: KB Home on the move after earnings beat, margin comments (March 20)
Jan. 20, 2015, 9:43 AM
- Hovnanian (HOV -5%), M/I Homes (MHO -3.1%), and Taylor Morrison (TMHC -4.3%) are all cut at JMP Securities, with MHO and TMHC now Market Performs, and HOV now Underperform.
- Credit Suisse, meanwhile, also cuts Taylor Morrison. Alongside, the team downgrades Ryland Group (RYL -3.2%), Meritage Homes (MTH -3.4%), and PulteGroup (PHM -3.3%) to Underperform, noting margin declines (see KB Home and Lennar earnings) and a slowdown in Texas thanks to oil's plunge.
- There's one upgrade, and that's NVR (NVR), which is boosted to Neutral from Underperform at Credit Suisse.
- ETFs: ITB, XHB
- Previously: KB Home: "Work to be done" to meet goals; -12.6% (Jan. 13)
- Previously: Lennar leads homebuilders lower after earnings (Jan. 15)
Jul. 24, 2014, 10:09 AM
- The ITB is lower by 1.5% and the XHB by 0.7% with earlier earnings misses from Pulte (PHM -1.5%) and D.R. Horton (DHI -5%). and just-released disappointing new home sales data weighing. Also reporting this morning was M/I Homes (MHO -3.2%), and that company beat estimates.
- June single-family new home sales of 406K fell 8.1% from May's rate of 442K (which was revised down from 504K). Expectations for June sales were 479K.
- The supply of new homes rises to 5.8 months at June's sales pace from 5.2 months previously.
- Other names: Lennar (LEN -1.6%), Ryland (RYL -2.3%), Standard Pacific (SPF -2%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), Toll Brothers (TOL -2.2%).
Apr. 24, 2014, 1:21 PM
- The iShares DJ U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB +2.7%) gains as earnings roll in from D.R. Horton, PulteGroup, Ryland, and M/I Homes. While PulteGroup saw slowdowns in closings and new orders, but offsetting increases in prices, D.R. Horton reported sales, new orders, and prices all on the rise. DHI is ahead 8%, Pulte 3%, Ryland (RYL +2.2%), M/I Homes (MHO +5.9%).
- The SPDR S&P Homebuilders ETF (XHB +1.2%) is more of a homebuilding supply play.
- Other builders: NVR (NVR +3.4%), Lennar (LEN +3.5%) Standard Pacific (SPF +2.8%), M.D.C. Holdings (MDC +3.2%), Hovnanian (HOV +2.5%), Toll Bros (TOL +4.2%).
Oct. 24, 2013, 3:47 PM
- With interest rates already sharply lower than during Q3, investors look past the slowdown in new home orders last quarter at PulteGroup (PHM +7.6%) . Also reporting today, M/I Homes (MHO +7.6%) records a similar gain after new contracts of 869 homes gained 15% from a year ago.
- Not unnoticed is the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate falling 15 bps last week to a 4-month low of 4.13%.
- Other builders: Toll Brothers (TOL +2.5%), KB Home (KBH +2.9%), Ryland RYL, Hovnanian (HOV +2.5%), Standard Pacific (SPF +2.5%).
- ETFs: ITB +3.1%, XHB +2.4%.
Sep. 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
- The Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB +2.6%) gains following earnings reports from Lennar (LEN +5%) and KB Home (KBH +4.5%) - both of which showed interest rate hikes taking at least some bite out of results. Also, Case-Shiller data pointed to a slight slowing in home price increases. Homebuilders have been knocked for a loop since rates started going up in May - perhaps some sell the rumor, buy the news action is warranted today.
- In other homebuilder news, RBC Capital initiates coverage on Brookfield Residential Properties (BRP +4.1%) with a Buy and $27 price target.
- Toll Brothers (TOL +3.7%), M/I Homes (MHO +3.9%), Ryland (RYL +6%), D.R. Horton (DHI +2.2%), Hovnanian (HOV +2.1%).
- Other ETFs: XHB, PKB.
Aug. 15, 2013, 11:40 AM
- The NAHB builder sentiment index rises to nearly an 8-year high of 59 in August - the last time it was higher was 61 in November 2005. The move comes with the pace of new home sales nearing 500K annually, 38% higher than a year ago, but off from the 700K consistent with a healthy market.
- The HomeBuilders ETF (XHB -0.4%) continues its summer decline, though it has bounced significantly since the NAHB print hit the tape.
- Other ETFs: XHB, ITB, PKB.
- A few stocks: Toll Brothers (TOL +2%), M/I Homes (MHO +3%), Hovnanian (HOV +1.7%), Pulte (PHM +2.2%), Lennar (LEN +3.1%), Ryland (RYL +1.3%), Beazer (BZH +2.9%).
Jul. 25, 2013, 11:42 AM
The Homebuilders ETFs (XHB -2.6%), (ITB -4.3%) slip after earnings from PulteGroup (PHM -9.3%) and D.R. Horton (DHI -8.2%), with Pulte notable for reporting a big decline in orders (interest rates on the rise again aren't helping). Goldman reiterates its Sell rating on Pulte, noting the need to be selective within the sector. Others: Toll Brothers (TOL -2.4%), KB Home (KBH -5.8%), Lennar (LEN -4.8%), and also reporting M/I Homes (MHO -7.3%), and Ryland (RYL -8.1%). One homebuilder/landowner caught up in the selloff is UCP, Inc. (UCP -2.4%) - a promising play that may be the victim of a poorly-timed IPO, says SA Pro's Money Investor.| Jul. 25, 2013, 11:42 AM | 1 Comment
Jun. 20, 2013, 12:09 PM
Despite better Existing Home Sale numbers for May, homebuilder stocks are taking a hit amid worries about the Fed tapering its stimulus program: M/I Homes (MHO -6%), PulteGroup (PHM -8.2%), Ryland (RYL -8.2%), Toll Brothers (TOL -5.4%), D.R. Horton (DHI -7.1%) and KB Home (KBH -6.1%).| Jun. 20, 2013, 12:09 PM | 9 Comments
Mar. 11, 2013, 1:45 PM
M/I Homes (MHO +2.4%) gains after announcing the redemption of 2M of its outstanding depositary shares on April 10 at a price of $25 per Depositary Share plus unpaid dividends.| Mar. 11, 2013, 1:45 PM
Jan. 31, 2013, 9:02 AMM/I Homes (MHO): Q4 EPS of $0.23 misses by $0.04. Revenue of $250.9M beats by $3M. Shares -2.5% premarket. (PR) | Jan. 31, 2013, 9:02 AM
Jan. 14, 2013, 5:38 PM
Dec. 27, 2012, 5:46 PM
Sep. 6, 2012, 12:01 PM