Mar. 31, 2015, 7:13 AM
- Endurance Specialty Holdings (NYSE:ENH) agrees to buy Montpelier Re (NYSE:MRH) in a cash and stock deal valued at $1.83B based on yesterday's closing prices. Montpelier owners will receive 0.472 shares of Endurance plus $9.89 in cash for each share they own, or $40.24 based on ENH's close of $64.30 yesterday.
- It's a 5.5% premium to MRH's Monday close, and 1.2x Dec. 31 book value.
- A conference call is set for 8:30 ET.
Jan. 26, 2015, 12:25 PM
- Lack of scale has never been the problem at Axis Capital (AXS +5.4%), say Citigroup's Todd Bault and James Kaklick. The current issue is low demand, they say, and a merger with PartnerRe (PRE +1%) won't solve that.
- Noting the merger is being done at "no premium" (presumably to book value), the two say this deal and others in the industry are acts of necessity, rather than strategic opportunities. "The pressure to cut even more costs will be enormous given the lack of significant deal premiums."
- The team reiterates its Sell rating and $46 price target on Axis.
- More on the terms: PartnerRe owners will receive 2.18 shares in the combined company for each share they own, and Axis shares will convert on a one-to-one basis.
- A check of others in the industry: ACE Limited (ACE +0.1%), XL Group (XL +0.4%), Everest Re (RE +0.7%), RenaissanceRe (RNR +0.9%), Aspen Insurance (AHL +0.9%), Arch Capital (ACGL +0.2%), Reinsurance Group of America (RGA -0.6%), Montpelier Re (MRH +0.3%), Unum Group (UNM +0.1%).
- Previously: Axis Capital to merge with PartnerRe (Jan. 26)