Montpelier Re: Not As Cheap As It Looks
Jan. 26, 2015, 12:25 PM
- Lack of scale has never been the problem at Axis Capital (AXS +5.4%), say Citigroup's Todd Bault and James Kaklick. The current issue is low demand, they say, and a merger with PartnerRe (PRE +1%) won't solve that.
- Noting the merger is being done at "no premium" (presumably to book value), the two say this deal and others in the industry are acts of necessity, rather than strategic opportunities. "The pressure to cut even more costs will be enormous given the lack of significant deal premiums."
- The team reiterates its Sell rating and $46 price target on Axis.
- More on the terms: PartnerRe owners will receive 2.18 shares in the combined company for each share they own, and Axis shares will convert on a one-to-one basis.
- A check of others in the industry: ACE Limited (ACE +0.1%), XL Group (XL +0.4%), Everest Re (RE +0.7%), RenaissanceRe (RNR +0.9%), Aspen Insurance (AHL +0.9%), Arch Capital (ACGL +0.2%), Reinsurance Group of America (RGA -0.6%), Montpelier Re (MRH +0.3%), Unum Group (UNM +0.1%).
- Previously: Axis Capital to merge with PartnerRe (Jan. 26)
Apr. 25, 2012, 5:58 PMMontpelier Re Holdings (MRH): Q1 EPS of $1.23 beats by $0.59. Shares +1.1% AH. (PR) | Apr. 25, 2012, 5:58 PM
Montpelier RE Holdings Ltd through its subsidiaries provides customized insurance and reinsurance solutions. It operates through three reportable segmentsMontpelier Bermuda, Montpelier at Lloyd's and Collateralized Reinsurance.
Industry: Property & Casualty Insurance
Country: United States
Other News & PR