Amit Chokshi, CFA • 90 Comments
Amit Chokshi, CFA • 90 Comments
Aug. 15, 2013, 10:23 AM
- Greenlight Capital's latest 13F indicates David Einhorn dumped his 6.1M-share Microsoft (MSFT -1.8%) stake, and his 5.4M-share Seagate (STX -3.4%) stake, in Q2.
- Einhorn also took some profits in Marvell (MRVL -1.3%), paring his position to 44.3M shares from 51.8M shares at the end of Q1. But that still leaves him with a ~9% stake in the chipmaker, which has been on a tear this year.
- Einhorn still has sizable positions in Apple (AAPL -0.4%), Vodafone (VOD -1.1%), and Computer Sciences (CSC -1.6%).
Aug. 13, 2013, 9:45 AM
- Microsoft (MSFT -1.6%) has been cut to Hold by Stifel due to Windows division sales, pricing and spending concerns. Evercore upgraded Microsoft recently on account of Office/Server & Tools optimism.
- RetailMeNot (SALE -0.3%) has been assigned 3 bullish and 4 neutral ratings on underwriter coverage day.
- Marvell (MRVL +2.8%) has been upgraded to Top Pick from Outperform by RBC ahead of its Aug. 22 FQ2 report.
- Constant Contact (CTCT +3.9%) has been upgraded to Buy by Lazard.
- Allot (ALLT -1.4%) has been cut to Sector Perform by RBC in the wake of last week's Q2 miss.
- E2open (EOPN +0.7%) has been started at Outperform by Northland.
Aug. 8, 2013, 9:44 AM
- Microsoft (MSFT +0.4%) has been upgraded to Overweight by Evercore.
- Groupon (GRPN +24.8%) had been upgraded to Neutral by UBS, and to Market Perform by Raymond James, following its Q2 revenue beat (I, II), buyback news, and CEO announcement.
- Sina (SINA +2.3%) has been upgraded to Buy by Maxim ahead of its Aug. 12 Q2 report.
- Fusion-io (FIO -22.8%) has been cut to a neutral rating by BofA, Mizuho, Monness Crespi, and Benchmark due to the light guidance provided with its mixed FQ4 results.
- Quad/Graphics (QUAD +3.5%) has been upgraded to Sector Perform by RBC following yesterday's Q2 report.
Jul. 29, 2013, 10:01 AM
- Microsoft (MSFT -0.1%) has been cut to Neutral by Atlantic Equities.
- 3D Systems (DDD +3.7%) and Stratasys (SSYS +1.9%) have been started at Buy by Brean Capital.
- Riverbed (RVBD -1.6%) has been cut to Market Perform by Northland.
- RF Micro (RFMD -2.9%) has been cut to Equal Weight by Barclays.
- Baidu (BIDU +1.8%) has been named a Long Research Tactical Idea by Morgan Stanley.
- Celestica (CLS +1.6%) has been upgraded to Buy by Canaccord.
Jul. 26, 2013, 2:13 PM
Jul. 19, 2013, 12:45 PM
Jul. 19, 2013, 11:55 AM
Microsoft (MSFT -11%) is plunging following its FQ4 miss, and is taking other PC-related names lower with it. HPQ -4.2%. INTC -1.4%. NVDA -2.2%. Goldman (Sell) predicts lower Windows price points for smaller/touch devices and emerging markets piracy will lead Windows sales growth to lag already-weak PC shipment growth. Nomura (Buy) thinks activism (led by ValueAct?) is now more likely, and could drive shares higher. Some bright spots: SQL Server and System Center revenue grew 16% and 14% Y/Y; Lync revenue rose 30%; over 50% of the Fortune 500 is using Azure; and "Windows Phone" revenue (much of it consists of Android royalties) rose by $222M . (FQ4: I, II, III) (transcript)| Jul. 19, 2013, 11:55 AM | 20 Comments
Jul. 19, 2013, 9:54 AMA roundup of tech analyst ratings changes: 1) Microsoft (MSFT -9.2%) has been downgraded to Market Perform by Raymond James and Cowen following its FQ4 miss. 2) AMD (AMD -14.5%) has been downgraded to Underweight by Morgan Stanley, and to Underperform by Credit Suisse, following its Q2 beat. 3) Skyworks (SWKS +10.1%) has been upgraded to Buy by Needham following its FQ3 beat. 4) BlackBerry (BBRY +0.5%) has been upgraded to Market Perform by BMO. 5) IGT (IGT -4.2%) has been downgraded to Underperform by Credit Suisse. 6) SAP (SAP -1.3%) has been downgraded to Neutral by JPMorgan a day after posting a Q2 miss. 7) Ultratech (UTEK -4%) has been downgraded to Hold by Noble Financial. | Jul. 19, 2013, 9:54 AM
Jul. 19, 2013, 9:11 AM
Jul. 18, 2013, 5:38 PM
Jul. 18, 2013, 4:08 PM
Jul. 2, 2013, 10:24 AM
Zynga (ZNGA +10.3%) is matching yesterday's gains as investors give a thumbs-up to the hiring of Don Mattrick as CEO. Jim Cramer: "[$1.6B] in cash for a [$2.4B] market cap with a new ceo - that seems pretty hopeful. I am mindful about how well GRPN did after sacking Mason." The WSJ reports ~95% of Mattrick's compensation will be in stock. Fast Company reports Microsoft's (MSFT) pending reorg and the fact Mattrick "would not be getting a bigger role" spurred his departure. It also points out Mattrick was "the force behind The Sims" at Electronic Arts, and championed the Kinect at Microsoft. A Microsoft exec: "Don has this really ambitious vision ... Then he’s just relentless, dogged about pushing people beyond their comfort zones."| Jul. 2, 2013, 10:24 AM
Jul. 1, 2013, 1:08 PM
Zynga (ZNGA +11%) soars as Kara Swisher reports Microsoft (MSFT -0.2%) Interactive Entertainment (Xbox division) chief Don Mattrick is leaving, and is set to take a "top job" at Zynga, quite possibly that of CEO. Sources claim an announcement could arrive today. Zynga chairman/CEO Mark Pincus has taken plenty of heat from both investors and employees for his performance; his giant share of Zynga's voting rights should guarantee he'll maintain control of the company whether or not a new CEO is named.| Jul. 1, 2013, 1:08 PM | 6 Comments
Jun. 19, 2013, 5:05 PM
Microsoft (MSFT) does an about-face, dropping the Xbox One's Internet verification requirements and all of its used game restrictions. GameStop (GME) investors are very pleased, shares +7.8% AH. Microsoft's change-of-heart follows a major backlash from gamers (they were far from appeased by Redmond's initial response), and plenty of gamer enthusiasm being shown for the PlayStation 4 (SNE), both due to its lack of similar restrictions and its lower price.| Jun. 19, 2013, 5:05 PM | 14 Comments
Jun. 19, 2013, 4:14 PM
Nokia (NOK) +2.6% AH after the WSJ reports Microsoft (MSFT) held advanced talks to buy Nokia's phone business, and was "close to an oral agreement" at one point, but adds discussions broke down in part due to price and concerns about Nokia's competitive positioning. One source says the talks "took place as recently as this month, but aren't likely to be revived."| Jun. 19, 2013, 4:14 PM | 51 Comments
Jun. 12, 2013, 4:16 PMMicrosoft (MSFT) isn't interested in Nook Media's (BKS -6.1%) digital assets, sources tell dealReporter. The report led Barnes & Noble shares to dive over the final 15 minutes of trading. TechCrunch reported of Microsoft's interest in Nook Media last month, but a source later told Insider Monkey Microsoft "has no intention" of making a deal. | Jun. 12, 2013, 4:16 PM