Motorola Solutions, Inc.NYSE
Motorola Solutions: LTE Opportunity And Airwave Acquisition Mask A Struggling Business
D.M. Martins Research
D.M. Martins Research
Mon, Sep. 26, 4:24 PM
- Motorola Solutions (NYSE:MSI) has agreed to acquire Spillman Technologies, a provider to the law enforcement/public safety industry.
- Terms were undisclosed, though the deal's expected to close in Q4.
- Spillman offers software to more than 1,700 agencies, with solutions for computer-aided dispatch and records management systems.
- Motorola Solutions will integrate it into a fuller command center offering connecting public-safety customers to real-time insights. The solution will offer cloud-based tools for "jail management systems, fire, mobile data, data sharing, field reporting, mapping and geographic information systems."
Wed, Sep. 21, 11:20 AM
- The SEC just charged Leon Cooperman with insider trading over Atlas Pipeline Partners, and Omega holdings such as Alitsource Portofolio, Navient, Aercap, and Tribune Media have knee-jerked sharply lower.
- A check of other top Omega holdings: First Data (FDC -1.3%), Allergan (AGN -0.9%), AIG (AIG +0.4%), Walgreens (WBA -0.6%), Dow Chemical (DOW), United Continental (UAL -0.7%), Ashland (ASH +0.3%), Chimera Investment (CIM -0.4%), Motorola (MSI +0.1%), HRG Group (HRG -1%), Microsoft (MSFT +1%), E*Trade (ETFC), New Residential (NRZ -1%), OneMain Holdings (OMF -2.3%), PVH (PVH +0.4%), UnitedHealth (UNH +0.7%), MGM Resorts (MGM -0.5%), New Media (NEWM -1.9%), Dish Network (DISH +0.5%), Synchrony Financial (SYF +1%), Eastman Chemical (EMN +0.3%).
- Previously: Cooperman holdings head south after insider trading charge (Sept. 21)
- Previously: Leon Cooperman charged with insider trading (Sept. 21)
Thu, Aug. 18, 2:21 PM
Mon, Aug. 15, 2:50 PM
- First employees are moving into the new global headquarters for Motorola Solutions (MSI +1.4%), located in downtown Chicago.
- The new building, in Chicago's West Loop, will house six floors of employees by mid-September, and house the company's chief technology office, ventures group, software engineering team and corporate functions, as well an innovation center.
- It will hold about 800 employees. The company's holding a sales HQ with about 300 employees on Michigan Avenue, and maintains an engineering facility in Schaumburg with about 1,600.
- A number of firms have made overtures to head downtown from suburban areas, including McDonald's and Kraft Heinz,
Thu, Aug. 4, 4:47 PM
Wed, Aug. 3, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABTL, ACAD, ACHN, ACXM, AHS, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALNY, AMBR, AMH, AMRS, ANET, ASYS, ATRC, ATVI, BBG, BLDR, BMRN, BRS, CARA, CBPO, CERS, CINR, CPSI, CPST, CSOD, CTRL, CYTX, DCO, DCT, DMD, EBS, ECOM, ECPG, ECYT, ED, EFC, EGOV, EOG, ESL, EVDY, EVH, FCE.A, FEYE, FFG, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FPRX, FRPT, FRT, FTD, GCAP, GDOT, GEOS, GSAT, GSBD, GST, GTY, GXP, HDP, HE, HTGC, ICON, IILG, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, INGN, IRWD, IVR, JMBA, JUNO, KHC, KMPR, KND, KTOS, KW, LADR, LBTYA, LGF, LNKD, LOCO, LOPE, MACK, MDRX, MELI, MHK, MHLD, MITT, MMI, MNST, MNTX, MRIN, MSI, MTX, MTZ, NAVG, NDLS, NFG, NNI, NOG, NUS, OEC, OLED, OREX, OUT, OVAS, PACB, PCLN, PDLI, PETX, PFMT, PGRE, PKI, POST, PRSS, PSIX, PTCT, RATE, REGI, RMAX, RPTP, RRMS, RTRX, RVNC, SEM, SEMG, SHOR, SMCI, SPXC, SSNI, SWIR, SYMC, SYRG, TASR, TCRD, TEAM, TRMR, TRUE, TSRO, TTWO, TWOU, TXMD, UBNT, UEIC, VVUS, WAIR, WEB, WIFI, WING, WTI, WTS, WTW, ZG, ZNGA
Fri, Jul. 15, 10:10 AM
- Wells Fargo ticks off 20 S&P 500 stocks with the most upside potential vs. consensus, and the 20 with the most downside risk vs. consensus.
- The list is compiled by comparing the midpoint of Wells Fargo Securities valuation ranges to consensus fair value estimates, volatility adjusting the percentage difference, and ranking the resulting score.
- Upside: AEE, BEN, CCL, DVA, EIX, ES, EXC, FTR, HUM, INTC, JNJ, LNT, PEG, PNW, SCG, T, WEC, WU, XEL, XOM.
- Downside: ANTM, C, CI, COF, EQT, FOXA, FSLR, GS, KIM, LH, MON, MSI, MYL, NVDA, NWSA, SLG, TIF, TSO, UA, WLTW.
Tue, May 17, 10:38 AM
Fri, May 6, 2:00 PM
- Though Motorola Solutions (MSI -5.1%) beat Q1 estimates (moreso on EPS than revenue), Q2 EPS guidance of $0.82-$0.88 is below a $0.95 consensus. Q2 revenue is expected to be up 1%-3% Y/Y, and assumes $130M in revenue from Motorola's recent $1.2B acquisition of U.K. public safety network owner Airwave (closed in February).
- Full-year guidance for 5%-7% revenue growth and EPS of $4.45-$4.65 (compares with a consensus for 5.4% growth and $4.58) is affirmed. The guidance still assumes $450M in Airwave revenue.
- In spite of $61M in Airwave revenue, total revenue fell 2% Y/Y in Q1 to $1.19B - Motorola blames Europe/LatAm weakness and forex. Product revenue fell 7% to $702M, and (excluding Airwave) services revenue 8% to $430M.
- Boosting EPS: Op. margin rose 110 bps Y/Y to 13.9%. $64M was spent on buybacks. Motorola ended Q1 with $1.9B in cash and $5B in debt.
- Motorola's Q1 report, earnings release
Thu, May 5, 4:18 PM
Wed, May 4, 5:35 PM
- ABCO, ABTL, ACAD, ACET, AHS, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALEX, AMBR, AMH, ANET, APLE, ASYS, ATHX, ATVI, ATW, BBG, BCEI, BIO, BIOS, BLDR, BOJA, CAA, CARA, CERN, CINR, CLNE, CLVS, CMLS, CPA, CTRL, CYBR, CZR, DATA, DCT, DEPO, DIOD, DK, DKL, DV, DWA, EBS, ECOM, ED, EFC, EGAN, EGL, EGN, EGY, ELON, ENDP, ENV, EOG, ERII, ESL, EVC, EVDY, EVHC, FCE.A, FEYE, FISV, FLR, FPRX, FTD, GBDC, GEOS, GERN, GPRO, GSAT, GST, GUID, GXP, HLF, HTGC, ICPT, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, JCOM, LADR, LOCO, MAIN, MCHX, MDR, MDRX, MDVN, MELI, MHK, MITT, MNTX, MRIN, MSI, MTD, MTZ, NBIX, NGVC, NSTG, NWSA, OLED, OMED, OUT, OVAS, PACD, PCTY, PEGA, PETX, PKI, PMT, POST, PRSS, PTCT, PTLA, QLGC, RPTP, RRMS, RWT, SAAS, SEM, SEMG, SNCR, SPPI, SPWR, SPXC, SQ, SSNC, SWIR, TCRD, TEAM, TRMR, TRUE, TRQ, TRUP, TSRO, TWOU, UBNT, UEPS, UNXL, WAGE, WAIR, WEB, WIFI, WING, XNPT, Y, YELP
Mon, Feb. 22, 4:52 PM
- Motorola Solutions (NYSE:MSI) is up 3.3% postmarket after logging a Q4 profit beat thanks to lower operating expenses, even as revenue fell amid continuing currency headwinds.
- It was a year of "disciplined execution," CEO Greg Brown said. "We grew in North America and grew in Managed & Support services across all regions while increasing backlog by nearly $700 million. Additionally, we achieved more than $200 million in structural cost savings and returned $3.5 billion of capital to shareholders."
- Net revenue breakout: Products, $1.13B (down 9.7%); Services, $557M (down 3.5%).
- Non-GAAP operating margin was 27.2% of sales, up from a year-ago 26.5%. Operating cash flow was $414M; free cash flow was $370M, amid lower pension contributions and overall cost savings.
- For the first quarter, MSI is expecting revenues to dip 4-6% Y/Y (assuming unfavorable currency impact, and $55M in revenues from its Airwave acquisition) and EPS from continuing operations of $0.37-$0.42.
- For full 2016, it's forecasting a revenue increase of 5-7% (assuming $60M unfavorable forex, and growth in North America against contraction in Europe and Latin America, and $450M in revenues from Airwave). Non-GAAP EPS is expected at $4.45-$4.65.
- Conference call to come at 5 p.m. ET.
Mon, Feb. 22, 4:13 PM
- Motorola Solutions (NYSE:MSI): Q4 EPS of $1.58 beats by $0.16.
- Revenue of $1.69B in-line (-7.7 Y/Y).
- Shares +4%.
Sun, Feb. 21, 5:35 PM
Thu, Feb. 18, 3:51 PM
- Motorola Solutions (NYSE:MSI) declares $0.41/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 2.53%
- Payable April 15; for shareholders of record March 15; ex-div March 11.
Sun, Jan. 3, 9:16 AM
- When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published new guidelines 18 months ago regarding the radiation risk from cellphones, it used unusually bold language: "We recommend caution in cellphone use."
- Within weeks, though, the CDC reversed course. It no longer recommended caution, and deleted a passage specifically addressing potential risks for children.
- Mainstream scientific consensus currently holds that there is little to no evidence that cellphone signals raise the risk of brain cancer or other health problems. Nevertheless, more than 500 pages of internal records obtained by NYT, along with interviews with former agency officials, reveal a debate and some disagreement among scientists and health agencies about what guidance to give as the use of mobile devices skyrockets.
- Related tickers: NOK, AAPL, BBRY, MSI, SNE, VZ, TMUS, T, S, OTC:SSNLF, OTC:HTCXF, OTCPK:ZTCOF, OTCPK:ZTCOY