What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Jul. 20, 2015, 10:39 AM
- Several gold miner stocks strike new 52-week lows in early trading, as gold prices plunge below $1,100/oz. overnight and adding pressure to a sector that already faces razor-thin margins.
- Investors have turned sharply negative on gold as the U.S. dollar rises ahead of a likely rise in interest rates, and a report out of China shows lower than expected holdings of the metal.
- While most senior gold miners can generate decent margins at $1,100 gold, many small and mid-tier producers are underwater at the price, and some of the seniors are struggling with heavy debt.
- Hitting new 52-week lows today: ABX -9.3%, GG -7.7%, GFI -10.7%, KGC -9.4%, AGI -6.6%, AU -9.7%, SBGL -7.8%, BTG -9.3%, EGO -2.9%, NGD -8%, AUY -8.8%, RGLD -8.2%, FNV -6.8%, SLW -5%.
- Also lower: NEM -9.4%, AEM -7.9%, NG -7%, GOLD -4.8%, IAG -5.1%, HL -5.4%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, SILJ, RING, JUNR, PSAU, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDXX, GDJS
Jul. 17, 2015, 2:58 PM
- Barrick Gold (ABX -4.9%) sinks to 24-year lows in Toronto trading, leading a rout among bullion miners as the yellow metal extends its selloff to five-year lows.
- ABX is under particular pressure, as the fall in gold casts doubt on the company’s strategy of shedding assets to pay down its $12.9B debt, as it "becomes harder and harder to sell those assets at any kind of reasonable value if metal prices are unwinding," Macquarie analyst Ron Stewart says.
- ABX reportedly is nearing a deal to sell its Zaldivar copper mine in Chile, and is looking for buyers for its 50% stake in its Kalgoorlie mine, among other properties.
- NEM -2.6%, GG -5.7%, GFI -1.1%, KGC -5.2%, AEM -5.1%, NG -2.2%, AGI -6.6%, AU -5.7%, GOLD -2.5%, SBGL -4.2%, BTG -6.4%, IAG -7.6%, EGO -7.6%, HL -3.5%, NGD -8.4%, AUY -2.9%, RGLD -2.9%, FNV -3.6%, SLW -3.3%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXS, GDXX
Jul. 7, 2015, 8:03 PM
- NovaGold (NYSEMKT:NG) slid 8.2% today ahead of a Q2 report where it posted a loss flat from the year-ago quarter, as it pursues permitting for its Donlin Gold project and technical studies on its Galore Creek project (each 50%-owned).
- The company reported cash and term deposits of $134.7M, down from $165.3M on Nov. 30, mainly due to repayment of $15.8M in convertible notes.
- NovaGold says that's sufficient capital to cover its share of funding for its Donlin Gold (Alaska) and Galore Creek (Northern Alberta) projects. It expects to spend $44.8M in 2015, including the $15.8M repayment. Some $30.6M of the planned $44.8M amount was spent by May 31.
- Shares are up 35% from a November's 52-week low, but are down 21.5% over the past month.
- Conference call tomorrow at 11 a.m. ET.
- 10-Q filing
Apr. 6, 2015, 9:18 AM
Mar. 6, 2015, 5:42 PM
Mar. 6, 2015, 2:42 PM
- Precious metals miners are bludgeoned as April Comex gold tumbles 2.7% to $1,164.30/oz. for its lowest settlement of the year so far.
- The culprit was the upbeat February jobs report, which sparked fears that the improving economy will prompt the Fed to hike interest rates sooner rather than later.
- ABX -6%, GG -6.6%, NEM -7.9%, AU -6.1%, AUY -6.6%, KGC -7.8%, SLW -3.4%, GOLD -5.4%, EGO -5%, GFI -7.9%, HL -10.4%, RGLD -8.6%, FNV -3.2%, NG -4.3%, SBGL -6.4%, PAAS -4.3%,BTG -6.5%, IAG -6.2%, AUQ -5.6%, AGI -2.8%.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, OUNZ, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, WITE, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, BARS, RGRP, BLNG
- Precious metals mining ETFs: GDX, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, SGDM, PSAU, GDXX
Jan. 15, 2015, 12:35 PM
- Gold, silver, platinum and palladium are spiking today on Switzerland's surprise move to abandon its currency floor, and shares of the miners are following suit: GDX +6.1%.
- "Gold is much stronger as the 'safety' of the Swiss Franc vanishes,” commented Dave Lutz of JonesTrading.
- Peter Boockvar believes that in "a world of currency battles with printing presses that are extraordinarily large... gold will be the last man standing... the gold bear market is over and will go substantially higher from here."
- Against a backdrop of concerns about global growth, deflation and renewed volatility, gold has been climbing since November as other growth-sensitive commodities such as oil and copper have sold off.
- Among precious metals miners: BTG +9.5%, GG +8.9%, KGC +8.7%, NEM +8.3%, AUY +8.1%, EGO +7.4%, AGI +7%, ABX +6.2%, NG +5.9%, AUQ +5.6%, FNV +5.5%, RGLD +5.4%, IAG +4.8%, GFI +4.2%, HL +4.2%, SLW +3.1%.
- Other ETFs: NUGT, GDXJ, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SLVP, SILJ, RING, SGDM, PLTM, PSAU
Dec. 22, 2014, 9:17 AM
Dec. 19, 2014, 5:36 PM
Dec. 18, 2014, 5:39 PM
Nov. 5, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Gainers: CRTO +19%. JIVE +17%. YOD +16%. TTPH +12%. IBIO +11%. AEZS +9%. EXEL +8%. CLNY +7%. ANR +7%. ROYT +7%. EOG +6%. PHMD +6%. NICE +6%. VPCO +6%. ATVI +5%. VG +5%. CTSH +5%. WLT +5%. MACK +5%.
- Losers: CHUY -24%. NUS -22%. FEYE -16%. ZU -14%. TRIP -13%. SSYS -8%. MEMP -7%. NG -6%. ANV -6%. ARIA -6%. AWAY -6%.
Jul. 14, 2014, 11:29 AM
- Precious metals miners are broadly lower as gold futures head for their biggest daily drop of 2014, plunging $29.30, or 2.2%, to $1,308.10/oz.
- Physical demand has remained short of expectations, Commerzbank's Eugen Weinberg says, and India's decision to maintain a 10% import duty on gold and silver likely will dampen future gold demand expectations from the country.
- Barclays, which expects gold to drop to $1,200/oz. by Q3, also expresses caution, saying recent gains across the metals complex look toppy.
- ABX -1.2%, NEM -1.7%, GG -2.4%, KGC -1.8%, AEM -1.4%, AUY -1.4%, EGO -3%, NGD -2.8%, FNV -2.4%, AGI -2.6%, AU -2.2%, IAG -1.9%, GFI -3.4%, BTG -2.1%, NG -0.7%, SLW -2.1%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLDX, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, RING, AGOL, DGLD, OUNZ, DBP, GGGG, WITE, PSAU, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, GLDE, GYEN, GLDL, RGRP, GLDS, GEUR, GGBP, BLNG
Jul. 3, 2014, 3:07 PM
Jun. 19, 2014, 3:35 PM
- Beaten-up gold miner stocks are strong across the board as precious metal prices move sharply higher and take out key technical resistance levels; Comex gold jumped $41.40 (+3.3%) to settle at $1,314.10/oz., the highest level since April 14, and silver added $0.87 (+4.4%) to end at $20.65/oz..
- Among today's winners: EGO +8.5%, AGI +8.5%, BTG +8.1%, SBGL +8.1%, SLW +5.5%, AUY +5.3%, AUY +5.2%, KGC +5.2%, GG +4.8%, NG +4.4%, AU +4.1%, ANV +4%, GFI +3.8%, ABX +3.2%, NEM +2.8%, IAG +1.7%.
Apr. 8, 2014, 8:24 AM
- NovaGold (NG) +3.8% premarket after reporting a $0.03/share loss for its Q1 vs. a $0.05 loss in the year-ago quarter.
- NG says it is making progress in key Donlin Gold permitting areas, including pipeline, water management, air quality, dam safety and wetlands.
- Says Donlin has key attributes in building one of the industry's most important mines: a 39M oz. deposit; an average grade of 2.2 g/metric ton, one of the highest in the world among large projects under development; and a favorable location in Alaska.
Mar. 3, 2014, 9:55 AM
- Gold futures are surging in the wake of the crisis in Ukraine, and that's giving precious metals miners a big boost in early trading.
- AU +5.2%, GOLD +5%, GFI +4.6%, MUX +4.1%, BVN +3.9%, MVG +3.6%, SSRI +3.3%, IAG +3.2%, BTG +3.1%, HMY +3.1%, EXK +3.1%, ABX +2.8%, AUY +2.8%, SA +2.8%, SLW +2.7%, GG +2.7%, NEM +2.6%, HL +2.6%, KGC +2.3%, AGI +2.2%, AG +1.9%, NG +1.9%, PPP +1.8%, AUQ +1.6%, PAAS +1.2%, NGD +1%.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, GGGG, JDST, PSAU
Other News & PR