Blue Nile, Inc.NASDAQ
Blue Nile: Attractive Risk Reward Trade-Off At Current Share Price
Resilient Wealth Creation
Resilient Wealth Creation
The Bear Case For Blue Nile
Sat, Oct. 15, 11:43 AM
- E-commerce sales during the holiday season are forecast to increase 17.2% this year to $94.71B, which represents a record 10.2% of all retail sales for the period.
- The +17% growth also represents the fastest pace for holiday e-commerce sales since 2011.
- Impressively, Amazon is expected to grow its holiday e-commerce market share above the 25% it took down last year.
- Outside of Amazon, investors can bet on online retail broadly through the Amplify Online Retail ETF (NASDAQ:IBUY). IBUY aims to match the price and yield performance of the EQM Online Retail Index.
- The IBUY is up 8% since launching in April, compared to a 5% drop for the S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT).
- The top ten holdings of the Amplify Online Retail ETF are Etsy (NASDAQ:ETSY), Grubhub (NYSE:GRUB), Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE), eBAY (NASDAQ:EBAY), RetailMeNot (NASDAQ:SALE), Copart (NASDAQ:CPRT), 1-800-Flowers.com (NASDAQ:FLWS), Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), Stamps.com (NASDAQ:STMP), and NutriSystem (NASDAQ:NTRI).
- This year's e-commerce boom will also be a net positive for shippers FedEx (NYSE:FDX) and UPS (NYSE:UPS), despite the increasing logistical challenges amid a higher mix of large packages. There's also Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) to consider after the company made a dramatic commitment to invest more in e-commerce during an investor meeting a few weeks ago.
- Previously: Winners and losers from the retail sales report (Oct. 14)
Tue, Aug. 9, 10:08 AM
- Lower jewelry prices impacted results at Blue Nile (NILE -1.3%) during Q2.
- Average selling prices were lower across different price points in the U.S., according to execs.
- U.S. engagement ring sales fell 4.4% Y/Y to $62.6M during the quarter.
- Blue Nile expects Q3 revenue of $107-$111M vs. $109M consensus and Q3 EPS of $0.11-$0.14 vs. $0.15 consensus.
- Previously: Blue Nile misses by $0.03, misses on revenue (Aug. 8)
Mon, Aug. 8, 4:27 PM
Sun, Aug. 7, 5:35 PM
- AMPH, APLE, ARNA, ATSG, BKD, BLCM, BOJA, BWXT, CAI, CC, CLDX, CLNY, CLVS, CPE, CSC, CSLT, CUI, CVG, DTSI, DVA, EGN, EGY, ELNK, ENDP, ENV, FNV, HTZ, ICUI, IFF, IPHI, JPEP, KITE, LC, LXU, MAIN, MBI, MCHP, MODN, MTW, MXL, NCMI, NILE, NPTN, NUAN, NVGS, NVRO, NWSA, ONDK, OPK, OTTR, PFSW, PHH, PKY, PNM, PNNT, PRAA, PRI, RARE, RAX, RBA, RBC, REN, RMTI, ROG, RPD, RSPP, RWT, SHO, SINA, SREV, TUBE, TVIA, TWLO, VSLR, WB, WBMD, ZLTQ
Sat, May 14, 11:01 AM
- The retail sector stays in focus next week with Target (NYSE:TGT), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX), and Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) all due to report on Q1 earnings to follow on a week of dismal reports and guidance from the department store sector (Nordstrom, L Brands, Macy's, Kohl's). Home improvement chains Home Depot (NYSE:HD) and Lowe's (NYSE:LOW) are also due to spill numbers.
- The story from the Commerce Department's April read of retail sales (+3.0% Y/Y, +1.3% M/M) is one of a consumer spending on housing, entertainment, and personal care/fitness over apparel and general merchandise. The 10% Y/Y gain in the nonstore retailer category also tipped that the Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) Effect is magnifying.
- Amplify ETFs CEO Christian Magoon tells Seeking Alpha that the traditional retail model appears to be broken. Amplify's Online Retail ETF (NASDAQ:IBUY) is a bet on companies such as Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX), GrubHub (NYSE:GRUB), Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE), and Shopify (NYSE:SHOP) that are reeling in millennial dollars.
- Magoon on retail: "Traditional retailers face the headwinds of higher cost structures including the very real threat of increasing wages in the form of the $15 minimum wage campaign. Less flexible with inventory management, they also are more vulnerable to issues like weather and changing consumer preferences."
- Retail ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, PBJ, IYK, FXD, IYC, RHS, FDIS, PEJ, FSTA, PSL, SCC, RCD, UCC, PEZ, PMR, PSCC, UGE, PSCD, SZK, BITE.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, GIII, SQBG, HBI, VRA, ICON, SHOO, PERY, DXLG, BONT, GES, URBN, RL,GIL, NKE, OXM, HBI, VNCE, PERY, ICON, FL.
Thu, May 5, 7:34 AM
Wed, May 4, 5:30 PM
- AAC, AAON, AAWW, ABC, ACIW, ACRE, ACTA, AGIO, AMCX, AMRC, AMRN, ANIP, ANSS, APA, APO, AVP, AXLL, BABA, BCRX, BDX, BR, CBB, CCC, CCOI, CDK, CHD, CHK, CLDT, CNAT, CNNX, CNSL, COT, CVC, CWEI, DDD, DIN, DISCA, DNR, EAC, ENOC, EPAM, ESNT, EVA, FIG, FLDM, G, GCAP, GWPH, HII, HL, HWCC, ICON, IT, ITG, ITT, JEC, JMBA, K, LAMR, LFUS, LINC, LIOX, LMOS, LQDT, LXP, MBLY, MDC, MFC, MGA, MGLN, MGM, MITL, MLM, MMS, MRK, MWW, NICE, NILE, NRG, NTCT, NYLD, OGE, ONE, OXY, PGNX, PGTI, PRFT, PRIM, PWR, RDEN, RDUS, REGN, RFP, RGEN, RLGY, RSTI, RWLK, SBH, SEAS, SFM, SHLX, SNH, SNI, SNR, SNSS, SPH, SQBG, STOR, TDC, TDY, TE, THS, TIME, TLP, TWI, UNT, USAC, USAK, USCR, VER, VG, VLP, WIN, WPC, WRLD
Tue, May 3, 12:02 PM
- Blue Nile (NILE -0.7%) says it will no longer ship to customers located in South Dakota due to a new state rule that requires online retailers to collect a sales tax in the state even if they don't have a physical presence.
- The company says the South Dakota law is unconstitutional.
- No estimates were released by Blue Nile on what the impact on sales would be with South Dakota out of the mix.
Thu, Mar. 17, 7:28 AM
- Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE) will open its third physical store with a new location near Washington D.C. The store will be the first for the company outside of New York City.
- The new "Webroom" as Blue Nile calls its brick-and-mortar outlets is in Fairfax County, Virginia.
- Shares of Blue Nile are down 32% YTD as engagement sales have disappointed.
Thu, Feb. 11, 12:49 PM
Thu, Feb. 11, 7:51 AM
- Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE) reports U.S. engagement sales fell 7.7% to $78.4M in Q4. Non-engagement sales were down 0.3% to $48.7M.
- The company's international sales decreased 3.2% to $22.9M.
- Gross profit rate +130 bps to 19.4% as a lower level of SG&A expenses contributed positively.
- Guidance: Blue Nile sees Q1 sales of $103M to $106M vs. $113M consensus and EPS of $0.08 to $0.11 vs. $0.13 consensus.
- Previously: Blue Nile EPS in-line, misses on revenue (Feb. 11 2016)
Thu, Feb. 11, 7:43 AM
- Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE): Q4 EPS of $0.43 in-line.
- Revenue of $150M (-4.7% Y/Y) misses by $14.54M.
Thu, Feb. 11, 7:34 AM
- Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE) declares $0.70/share special dividend.
- Payable March 7; for shareholders of record Feb. 22; ex-div Feb. 18.
Wed, Feb. 10, 5:30 PM
- AAP, AB, ACOR, ALLE, ALU, AVP, AYR, BG, BTU, BWA, CCE, COR, CPLA, CVE, DBD, FAF, FLIR, GNC, GPI, GRA, HUN, INCY, INT, IVC, K, KKR, LC, LIOX, LPX, MANU, MFC, MGI, MOS, MWW, NCI, NICE, NILE, NLSN, NNN, NOK, NTWK, NWE, OZM, PAG, PDS, PEP, PNK, Q, RAI, SHPG, SON, STC, TAP, TCK, TEVA, TGH, THS, TIME, TRI, TRIP, TZOO, VG, WBC, WOOF, WSO, WWAV, WWE
Nov. 5, 2015, 7:37 AM
- Blue Nile (NASDAQ:NILE): Q3 EPS of $0.17 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $109.9M (+3.9% Y/Y) misses by $1.18M.
- Shares -2.1% PM.
Nov. 4, 2015, 5:30 PM
- AAWW, ACIW, ACRE, ACTA, AES, AGIO, AGU, AINV, ALSK, AMCX, AMED, AMRC, ANSS, APA, ATHM, AZN, BBEP, BCE, BCRX, BDBD, BEE, BR, CCC, CCOI, CECE, CELG, CLDT, CNK, CNP, CNQ, CNSL, CONE, COTY, CROX, CSTM, CWEI, DNR, DUK, EGL, ENB, ENDP, ENOC, ESI, FUN, GEO, GLOG, GLP, GOGO, HFC, HGG, HII, HRC, INSY, IRC, IT, ITC, ITG, KATE, KOP, LAMR, LBY, LINE, LPI, LXP, MEG, MGA, MITL, MPEL, MPW, MSG, MSO, MVIS, MZOR, NDLS, NGS, NHI, NILE, NRP, OGE, OMED, PBH, PDCE, PRFT, PRIM, PWE, PWR, RDUS, RGEN, RGLD, RICE, RL, RLGY, RRD, RVLT, RWLK, SCOR, SEAS, SFM, SFY, SJI, SNSS, SPAR, SRC, SRPT, SSTK, STN, STWD, SYMC, TAP, TDC, TE, THS, TIME, TK, TLP, TNK, TRXC, TU, USAC, VC, VER, VIVO, WAC, WIN, WPP, ZEUS