Thu, Aug. 27, 10:27 AM
- The Nuveen Premium Income Municipal Fund 4 (NYSE:NPT), Nuveen Dividend Advantage Municipal Fund 2 (NYSEMKT:NXZ), and Nuveen Municipal Advantage Fund (NYSE:NMA) will be folded into the Nuveen Dividend Advantage Municipal Fund 3 (NYSEMKT:NZF) - which will be renamed the Nuveen Enhanced Municipal Credit Opportunities Fund.
- The Nuveen Municipal Opportunity Fund (NYSE:NIO), the Nuveen Quality Municipal Fund (NYSE:NQI), and Nuveen Quality Income Municipal Fund (NYSE:NQU) will be merged with the Nuveen Dividend Advantage Municipal Income Fund (NYSEMKT:NVG) - which will be renamed the Nuveen Enhanced AMT-Free Municipal Credit Opportunities Fund.
- Press release
Thu, Jul. 16, 3:39 PM
- "That's stunningly high," says Van Eck chief municipal strategist Jim Colby, after Chicago priced $1.1B in both taxable and tax-free bonds. The taxable issue maturing in 2042 priced to yield 7.98%, and the tax-free paper maturing in 2039 priced to yield 5.69% - a taxable equivalent yield of 9% (for the highest bracket).
- The debt has been rated BBB+ by Fitch.
- "Chicago is not Detroit," says Colby, who calls this new debt "far and away" the best value of similar credit quality in municipals. He notes the 30-day yield of his Market Vectors High Yield Municipal Index ETF (NYSEARCA:HYD) is just 4.61%.
- ETFs: MUB, IIM, HYD, NUV, PML, NIO, MAV, PZA, LEO, MHI, VMO, NEA, PMF, NMZ, PMX, BFK, EVN, BLE, DSM, KTF, NQU, NXP, VGM, PMM, AFB, VKI, MVF, HYMB, EIM, NQM, NPM, TFI, OIA, BKN, MUA, MEN, PMO, MVT, IQI, MYD, VKQ, NMO, MYI, XMPT, NPI, CMU, MMU, MUE, CXE, EXD, NAD, NMA, BBK, BYM, NPP, NQS, NEV, DMF, MFL, NZF, NVG, NQI, KSM, NPT, MHD, MFM, MUH, NXZ, MQY, SHYD, MFT, MZF, PRB, EIV, BBF, MHF, BAF, EOT, MUS, NUW, NXR, DTF, NPF, MNP, BSD, NXQ, MQT, MYF, DMB, NIM, NMI, CXH, BIE, FMN, PVI, VFL, RVNU, FMB
Jan. 11, 2014, 9:00 AM
- Ranking about dead last a year ago in Barron's handicapping of where to go for yield, municipal bonds climb nearly to the top for 2014. Long-term issues yield 4.5-5%, towering over the 30-year Treasury at 3.8% ... and don't forget the tax exemption. Credit worries are high, but the "real news is that the credit profile of local governments throughout the U.S. will improve as property valuations rise, local sales and income-taxes increase, and major reform of public employee pension plans accelerates," says John Loffredo, co-manager of the MacKay Shields Municipal High Yield Fund.
- A few closed-end funds trading at discounts to NAV: NIO, NVG, BTT, NPM, NRK, MUC, VCV, NEA, NMA, NAD, ETX, BKN
- Muni ETFs: MUB, HYD, BAB, PZA, MUNI, TFI, ITM, MLN, HYMB, CMF, BABZ, BABS, XMPT, SHM, SUB, PRB, SMB, PZT, NYF, CXA, PWZ, PVI, SMMU, MUAF, INY, MUAD, MUAG, MUAE, VRD, MUAC, GMMB, RVNU
- Topping the list are the best performers from last year: dividend stocks. Even after a big rally, plenty of blue chips yield more than the 10-year Treasury and payouts are still low, says S&P's Howard Silverblatt, who sees a double-digit rise in cash payouts this year.
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, IDV, VIG, SDY, VYM, SDIV, HDV, SCHD, DWX, KBWD, PID, DES, DTN, PEY, SPHD, DIV, DHS, DLN, LVL, DTD, DGRW, DON, FDL, FVD, PFM, FGD, NOBL, DOO, DOL, SDYL, DVYL, DEW, IDOG, HGI, DGRS, DNL, DGRE, DVYA, RDIV, QDF, RDVY, QDEF, QDYN, IQDF, EMDG, IQDY, WDIV, IQDE, FIEG
- Near the bottom of the list this year after a big move in 2013 are MLPs, which trade for nearly twice the valuation of utilities and telecom, based on Enterprise Value/EBITDA. Yields are tasty at 5.5%, but many MLPs barely cover their payouts - a contrast to the vast majority of dividend-paying corporations. Stick with MLPs comfortably covering their distributions like EPD and PAA.
- MLP ETFs: AMLP, AMJ, MLPL, YMLP, MLPI, MLPA, MLPN, EMLP, MLPS, MLPG, MLPY, MLPJ, MLPX, AMU, YMLI, ATMP, MLPW, IMLP, ENFR, MLPC
Dec. 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
- The combination of credit issues and rising interest rates have municipal closed-end funds selling at near-record discounts (10%+) to net asset values, says Doug Kass, and at near-record pretax-equivalent yields vs. taxable bonds. Those conditions, says Kass, constitute a margin of safety and he's an owner of: NMA, NAD, ETX, BKN.
- Related ETFs: MUB, HYD, BAB, PZA, MUNI, TFI, ITM, MLN, HYMB, CMF, BABZ, BABS, XMPT, SHM, SUB, PRB, SMB, PZT, NYF, CXA, PWZ, PVI, SMMU, MUAF, INY, MUAD, MUAG, MUAE, VRD, MUAC, GMMB, RVNU
It seeks to provide current income exempt from regular income tax and to enhance the portfolio value relative to the municipal bond market. It will invest at least 80% of its net assets in municipal bonds that at the time of investment are investment grade
Other News & PR