Nomura's Individual Japanese Investor Survey (May 2014)
Thu, Aug. 28, 2:54 PM
- The FHFA launched 18 lawsuits in 2011 against banks over about $200B in MBS. Many have settled - the latest being Goldman Sachs last week - but HSBC, Nomura (NYSE:NMR), and RBS (which is a defendant in the Nomura case) are among a group which hasn't.
- The ruling from federal Judge Denise Cote sets up a Sept. 29 trial start date for HSBC, and the bank has estimated $1.6B in possible exposure.
Thu, Feb. 13, 11:27 AM
- It's fairly self-evident that Fortress Investment (FIG +5.9%) buying back the 12% stake in the company held by Nomura (NMR) at a 25% discount to last night's close is a good deal for Fortress, but RBC's Bulent Ozcan takes the time to write up his own thumbs up on the deal.
- He notes Nomura - a strategic shareholder - had purchased 55M shares for $888M prior to Fortress going public at the peak in 2007. Nomura subsequently added a small amount to its stake in 2009. Ozcan estimates Nomura's weighted-average price at around $15 per share (it sold for $6).
- The deal, says Ozcan, removes an overhang on Fortress' stock, as the company will no longer have to pay Nomura a dividend on that 12% stake, paving the way for higher distributions for remaining shareholders. How much of an overhang it was remains to be seen as the stock has been a 10-bagger since the 2009 lows.
Mon, Jan. 13, 5:09 AM
- The Basel Committee for Banking Supervision has eased the way banks will have to report leverage ratios, or the amount of capital they hold against their loans and other assets.
- The regulations will not force banks to count 100% of their off-balance-sheet assets, such as much of their exposure to derivatives, and guarantees and letters of credit.
- That alterations will lower the need for banks to sell assets or raise capital to meet the Basel leverage-ratio requirements, which might be set at 3% or higher from 2018.
- The Stoxx Europe 600 Banks index is +1.5%.
- Major banks: RBS, HSBC, BCS, DB, CS, UBS, GS, JPM, C, MS, WFC, USB, BK, SAN, BBVA, LYG, NMR
- ETFs: XLF, FAS, FAZ, UYG, KRE, VFH, KBE, IYF, EUFN, IPF, SEF, IAT, IYG, PFI, FXO, IXG, KBWB, KME, RKH, QABA, KRU, FINU, RWW, KBWR, RYF, FNCL, PSCF, AXFN, KRS, FINZ, EMFN, KBWX
Oct. 29, 2013, 3:53 AM
- Nomura's (NMR) FQ2 net profit ¥38.1B ($391M) vs ¥2.8B a year earlier and consensus of ¥42B.
- Revenue -7.1% to ¥428.4B.
- Brokerage commissions +46% to ¥105.6B; trading profit +24% to ¥110.2B; investment banking fees +35% to ¥23B. (PR)
- Declares dividend of ¥8 a share to stockholders of record as of the end of September. The dividend will be paid on December 2. (PR)
Jun. 5, 2013, 9:11 AM
Jun. 4, 2013, 9:11 AM
May. 31, 2013, 9:14 AM
May. 23, 2013, 9:12 AM
May. 16, 2013, 9:19 PMJapanese stocks take their cue for their U.S. counterparts to trade lower today. The Nikkei Average is down 0.9% to 14,909.21. Tech-sector blue chips were among the leading decliners: Advantest (ATE -2.9%), Pioneer (PNCOY.PK -4.9%), Sony (SNE -3%) and Nintendo (NTDOY.PK -1.9%). lower. Other blue-chip losers Nomura (NMR -2%) and Sharp (SHCAY.PK -4%). | Comment!
May. 14, 2013, 5:14 AMThanks largely to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and BOJ Governor Haruhiko Kuroda, Nomura's (NMR) retail client assets hit a record $889B last month, a goal CEO Koji Nagai hadn't expected to hit for another two years. NMR saw an influx of some $64B in assets under management during April, the largest increase since record keeping began at the bank, as investors piled into stocks on the heels of Japan's extraordinary monetary policy initiatives. | Comment!
May. 9, 2013, 5:49 AM
Apr. 28, 2013, 5:10 AMAn Italian judge has turned down a request from prosecutors to seize €1.95B ($2.5B) of assets held by Japanese bank Nomura (NMR) as part of a criminal investigation into possible fraud and usury at Monte dei Paschi di Siena. Nomura has been accused of collaborating with former Monte dei Paschi executives to create one of two derivatives in 2008 and 2009 that hid losses of up to €557M. | Comment!
Apr. 17, 2013, 3:42 AMItalian police said they have frozen €1.8B of assets held by Nomura (NMR) as part of a criminal investigation into possible fraud and usury at Monte dei Paschi di Siena. The Italian bank said Nomura collaborated with former executives to create one of two derivatives in 2008 and 2009 that hid losses of up to €557M. Shares in Nomura, which denied that its assets have been frozen, fell 2.3% in Tokyo. | Comment!
Apr. 16, 2013, 5:30 PM
Apr. 10, 2013, 8:32 PMJapan's Nikkei opened to another multiyear high, quickly rising 1.2% to 13,452 as the dollar continued to move up against the yen. The broader Topix is also outperforming with a 1.6% rise. Exporters and financials lead: Hitachi Ltd. JP:6501 +2.81% (HTHIY.PK +3.4%), Mitsubishi Electric (MIELY.PK +3%), Panasonic (PC +3%), Daiwa Securities (DSEEY.PK +6%), Nomura (NMR +6.3%) and Dai-ichi Life Insurance (DCNSF.PK +4.4%). | Comment!
Mar. 4, 2013, 7:39 PMJapanese stocks are higher in early trading, with the Nikkei Average up 0.8% at 11,749. Retailers and financials were some of the strongest performers: Fast Retailing (FRCOY.PK + 3.5%) after reporting a 9.6% jump in sales at its Uniqlo casual clothing chain in February, and Takashimaya (TKSHY.PK +3.2%), Nomura (NMR +1.7%). | Comment!
NMR vs. ETF Alternatives
Nomura Holdings Inc is a financial services company in Japan. Its clients include individuals, corporations, financial institutions, governments and governmental agencies. Its business consists of Retail, Asset Management and Wholesale divisions.
Other News & PR