Wed, Mar. 23, 3:39 PM
- TransCanada (TRP -0.5%) is working with JPMorgan Chase to find buyers for more than $7B in assets to help finance its acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group (CPGX +0.1%), Bloomberg reports.
- Assets reportedly for sale include a portfolio of U.S. Northeast merchant power plants, including the Ironwood natural gas power plant in Pennsylvania, the Ravenswood gas- and oil-fired generation plant in New York, hydroelectric power assets in New England, the Kibby wind power operation in Maine, and Ocean State Power gas generation facilities in Rhode Island; a minority stake in TRP’s Mexican natural gas pipeline business also is up for sale.
- The power plants could attract interest from P-E investors such as Blackstone, D.E. Shaw, Macquarie and Riverstone Holdings, as well as strategic peers including Calpine (CPN -2.8%) and NRG Energy (NRG -5.7%), Morningstar's Travis Miller says.
Sep. 18, 2015, 8:42 AM
- NRG Yield (NYSE:NYLD) agrees to acquire 75% of a portfolio of wind assets from NRG Energy (NYSE:NRG), consisting primarily of assets acquired by NRG from Edison Mission Energy in 2014, for $210M in cash plus $145M in assumed project debt and ~$97M in tax equity.
- The wind assets represent 814 MW of total operating capacity, which NYLD expects to deliver ~$41M of adjusted EBITDA and $21M of cash available for distribution on a run-rate basis.
- NYLD also reaffirms Q3 and FY 2015 guidance, and says it continues to have the ability to deliver a target 15% dividend/share growth through 2018.
Aug. 14, 2014, 8:31 AM
- NRG Energy (NYSE:NRG) agrees to acquire Goal Zero, which makes solar-charged battery packs that can fit in a handbag and mobile generators that could run the main components of a home, in a move that puts NRG into the mobile solar business.
- The purchase, for an undisclosed sum, is one of a flurry of changes at NRG aimed at repositioning itself in a fast-moving utility market, CEO David Crane tells NYT's DealBook.
- "Utilities have to change their business model and become more customer-oriented or actually get into distributed generation or microgrids themselves,” says Lux Research analyst Aditya Ranade. “Competitors like Duke have so far stayed away because it’s too far out of their comfort zone. That has left that field open to smaller, more nimble competitors like NRG.”
Jun. 4, 2014, 8:12 AM
- NRG Yield (NYLD) confirms it has agreed to acquire the Alta Wind facility located in Tehachapi, Calif., for $870M, plus the assumption of $1.6B of non-recourse project financing, from Terra-Gen Power (earlier).
- The acquisition, which totals 947 MW of operating wind capacity, also includes a portfolio of land leases associated with the Alta Wind facility.
- NYLD expects the deal to increase its annual run-rate EBITDA by ~$220M and cash available for distribution by ~$70M by 2016.
- NRG +0.4% premarket.
Jul. 15, 2013, 2:45 PM
NRG Energy's (NRG +1%) solar unit has bought a 26MW Guam solar project from a Quantum Energy division. NRG will sell the project's output to the Guam Power Authority via two 25-year purchase agreements. NRG, which is hitting new multi-year highs today, hasn't been shy about making big solar investments.| Jul. 15, 2013, 2:45 PM
Apr. 8, 2013, 10:19 AM
NRG Energy (NRG) agrees to buy the Gregory cogeneration plant in Corpus Christi, Tex., for ~$244M to expand its presence in Texas. NRG says the plant is equivalent to a ~560 MW combined-cycle gas turbine plant with generation capacity of ~400 nominal MW and steam capacity of more than 1M lbs./hour.| Apr. 8, 2013, 10:19 AM
Dec. 17, 2012, 9:35 AM
NRG Energy (NRG +1.1%) opens higher after closing its purchase of rival GenOn Energy (GEN) in an all-stock deal valued at ~$1.7B, creating the largest competitive-rate power company in the U.S. The companies have said they expect their combination to bring $300M/year in savings.| Dec. 17, 2012, 9:35 AM
Jul. 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
At 6.3x GenOn's (GEN +25.8%) estimated 2013 EBITDA, NRG's (NRG +8.3%) merger with GenOn was completed at an attractive price, Wunderlich says; ~$200M of operating cost savings are expected, with an additional $100M of interest and capital cost savings. Barclays upgrades NRG to Overweight with a $22 price target, up from $19. (also)| Jul. 23, 2012, 10:49 AM | 2 Comments
Jul. 23, 2012, 10:10 AMEnergy names may be suffering, but NRG Energy (NRG) is +7.2% following news of its $1.7B purchase of GenOn Energy (GEN +24.2%). "Another great acquisition for NRG, with announced synergy value paying for 67% of deal equity cost," says Tudor Pickering Holt. NRG also declared its first ever quarterly dividend. | Jul. 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Jul. 23, 2012, 2:03 AM
NRG Energy (NRG) will merge with GenOn Energy (GEN), creating the largest competitive power generation company in the U.S.. GEN shareholders will receive 0.1216 of a share of NRG common stock for each GEN share of common stock, a 20.6% premium to GEN shareholders. NRG shareholders will own 71% of the combined firm, GEN shareholders will own 29%. (PR)| Jul. 23, 2012, 2:03 AM | 4 Comments