What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Mar. 6, 2015, 7:16 AM
- The American Postal Workers Union says it has engaged lawyers and economists to help in the crusade to block the merger between Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) and Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP).
- The group maintains the combination of office supply giants is bad for consumers and is confident the deal can be stopped.
- Postal labor organizations have had an issue with Staples ever since it landed a deal to set up postal counters, although their protests haven't resonated due to the mammoth losses piled up by the USPTO.
Mar. 4, 2015, 9:43 AM
- Starboard Value issues a letter to the board at Staples (SPLS -0.5%) on the topic of the planned merger with Office Depot (ODP -0.2%).
- The hedge fund thinks Staples is worth $32 to $37 per share post-deal after synergies are factored in.
- Though the tone of the letter is friendly, it's clear that Starboard expects a transition in the board of the merged company to bring on talent that can help maximize synergies.
Feb. 24, 2015, 9:38 AM
- Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) will not hold a conference call today to discuss earnings due to the pending merger with Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS).
- The company revealed in its Q4 report that it expects the Staples merger to close at the end of the year.
- Office Depot +0.2% and Staples +1.0% in opening trades.
- Previously: Office Depot beats by $0.03, misses on revenue (Feb. 24 2015)
- Previously: Merger synergies boost Office Depot in Q4 (Feb. 24 2015)
Feb. 24, 2015, 7:10 AM
- Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) reports sales in the retail division fell 7.2% to $1.539B in Q4 on a pro forma basis which takes into consideration the OfficeMax merger.
- The pro forma same-store sales comp was -2%.
- Retail operating margin +240 bps to 1.0%.
- North American Business Solutions Division sales -1% on a pro forma basis to $1.46B. Operating margin +300 bps to 4.5%.
- International sales -4% to $834M. Operating margin +40 bps to 3.5%.
- Due to the merger with Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS), guidance is withdrawn by the company, although it did say it expects total company sales to be lower in 2015.
- Merger synergy benefits of $750M per year are forecast.
- ODP +1.80% premarket.
Feb. 24, 2015, 6:54 AM
- Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP): Q4 EPS of $0.07 beats by $0.03.
- Revenue of $3.83B (-5.7% Y/Y) misses by $80M.
- Shares +2.33% PM.
Feb. 23, 2015, 5:30 PM
- AIXG, ALKS, AMT, BMO, CBRL, CEQP, CLDT, CLDX, CMCSA, CMLP, COT, CRNT, CRZO, CYRN, DAKT, DCI, DPZ, DRH, DYAX, ECL, EXAS, EXLS, EXPD, FDML, GLDD, GTLS, HD, IART, IPXL, M, MNKD, NEO, ODP, PCRX, PF, PLL, RLGY, SAFM, SAH, SHLX, SHOO, SPAR, SPWR, SUI, THRM, TOL, TREX, TRXC, UTHR, VAL, VSI, WEN, WIN, WLK, WPC, ZINC
Feb. 13, 2015, 11:13 AM
- Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) trades at $9.59 to mark a 12.8% discount to the deal price it struck with Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS).
- The lackluster response of shares is due in part to apprehension the FTC will get in the way of the combination.
- Retail Dive notes Staples can walk away from the deal if regulators require too many stores to be divested.
- Staples is down 10.7% since the acquisition was announced from an initial pre-announcement pop.
Feb. 5, 2015, 10:14 AM
- Janney Capital thinks Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) was a little conservative when it estimated $1.6B in deal synergies from a merger with Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP).
- The investment firm sees fair value on Staples at $22.
- Other analysis on the deal isn't quite so optimistic.
- Staples will inherit another 2K stores that collectively haven't put up a positive comp since 2007, notes Harvard professor Rajiv Lal.
- Another breakdown: SA contributor Dallas Salazar
- Previously: Staples acquires Office Depot for $6.3B (Feb. 04 2015)
- Shares of Staples are up 0.84% to $16.91 today. Office Depot (ODP) is hanging steady at $9.47 vs. the implied deal price of $11.
Feb. 4, 2015, 7:43 AM
- Shares of Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) move higher in early trading after coming off of a trading halt.
- Some investors appear to be cautious on concerns the merger will face a major regulatory roadblock.
- ODP +7.2% to $9.95 premarket vs. $11.00 Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) offer ($7.25 in cash + 0.2188 shares of SPLS).
- SPLS -2.26% to $18.58.
- Previously: Staples acquires Office Depot for $6.3B
Feb. 4, 2015, 7:09 AM
- Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) announces it will acquire Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) for $6.3B.
- The transaction values Office Depot at $11.00 per share vs. yesterday's closing price of $9.28.
- The company expects to generate at least $1B in annualized cost synergies.
- A closing before the end of the year is anticipated after a regulatory review is completed.
- Shares of ODP are currently halted.
Feb. 3, 2015, 12:47 PM
Feb. 3, 2015, 12:17 PM
- Retail space continues to open up as more companies look to trim their store counts or reposition themselves in front of mergers or bankruptcies.
- In some cases, the transition is based on repositioning assets to online fulfillment centers.
- A quick scan indicates Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP), RadioShack (NYSE:RSH), Dollar Tree (NASDAQ:DLTR), Wet Seal (NASDAQ:WTSL), Macy's (NYSE:M), Haverty Furniture (NYSE:HVT), Bon-Ton Stores (NASDAQ:BONT), Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO), Rent-A-Center (NASDAQ:RCII), and Wolverine Worldwide (NYSE:WWW) are unloading properties.
- Analysts have warned the flooded market could lead to some disappointing transaction prices or lease rates for the companies involved.
- What to watch: A merger between Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) and Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) or a major retooling from Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) this year could add to the tally.
Feb. 3, 2015, 10:09 AM
- Shares of Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) are up 19.7% and Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) has run up an 11% gain as investors discount any concerns that regulators will get in the way of an office supply store mega-merger.
- Retail analysts think significant cost savings could be derived from a merger as the combined store count of the chains is reduced.
- Staples has over 3.8K stores, while the Office Depot/OfficeMax count is over 2K.
- Previously: Staples, Office Depot in advanced talks to combine
Feb. 3, 2015, 2:03 AM
- Facing pressure from activist investor Starboard Value, WSJ reports that Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS) and Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP) are in advanced talks to merge.
- Regulators nixed Staples' attempt to buy Office Depot in 1997, but the FTC approved Office Depot's $976M acquisition of OfficeMax in 2013 without the need to close any stores.
- The price and structure of the proposed deal couldn’t be learned.
- SPLS +5.2%; ODP +13% premarket
Jan. 20, 2015, 1:28 PM
- Staples (SPLS -5.5%) isn't likely to pursue a plan to combine with Office Depot (ODP -4.7%), according to Financial Times.
- The company has concerns the FTC would put up stiff resistance to a merger.
- Previously: Report: Starboard pushing for Staples-Office Depot merger (Jan. 20)
Jan. 20, 2015, 10:11 AM
- Starboard Value wants Staples (SPLS -1.4%) to retain advisers to assist the company with discussions on a potential merger with Office Depot (ODP -1%).
- The hedge fund sees $2B in cost savings if a deal between the retail chains is struck.
- A letter from Starboard to Staples CEO Ronald Sargent is expected to be released later today.
- Previously: Starboard pushing for Staples-Office Depot merger
- Previously: Big moves in office supply sector after Starboard buys and raises (Dec. 11 2014)
Office Depot Inc is a supplier of office products and services. It offers products including office supplies, paper, ink & tone, cleaning chemical & equipment's, monitors & equipment's, computers & tablets, office appliances, and school supplies.
Other News & PR