Sep. 15, 2014, 9:37 AM
Sep. 12, 2014, 5:36 PM
Sep. 2, 2014, 7:42 AM| Sep. 2, 2014, 7:42 AM | Comment!
Aug. 25, 2014, 7:54 AM
- Data released by shopping tracking Retale could send a chill into the retail sector.
- A survey from the firm found that 73% of parents of school-aged children use mobile for their back-to-school shopping. Of that group, 79% buy items directly and 96% fired up mobile devices to compare prices.
- The increased reliance by consumers on price-comparison apps is seen as a margin compressor that will be nearly impossible to unwind.
- Related stocks: SPLS, ODP, TGT, WMT, AMZN.
Aug. 20, 2014, 11:28 AM
- ICSC CEO Michael Kercheval says the back-to-school season is off to a strong season (video).
- E-commerce hasn't taken control of the back-to-school spend due to social factors and tradition, according to an ICSC survey.
- Brick-and-mortar stores still have 90% BTS market share. 73% of consumers say they "webroom" (research online, buy in stores).
- Related stocks: SHLD, JCP, SPLS, ODP, WMT, COST.
Aug. 5, 2014, 12:45 PM
- Cautious overall on small caps (NYSEARCA:IWM) due to valuation concerns, Goldman's David Kostin nevertheless has a list of 25 names with market caps less than $4B which could offer at least 25% upside to his firm's price target over the next year.
- The list skews towards Consumer Discretionary - Lumber Lidquidators (LL +2.1%), Office Depot (ODP -2.4%), RetailMeNot (SALE -26.1%), Ryland (RYL +0.5%), Steven Madden (SHOO +2.7%), Vitamin Shoppe (VSI -8.2%) - and Tech - Universal Display (OLED -0.2%), Qlik Technologies (QLIK -1.6%), Proofpoint (PFPT -1.5%), Polycom (PLCM +0.2%), Nimble Storage (NMBL -0.3%), Marketo (MKTO +1.1%), Infinera (INFN +1.1%), Cornerstone Ondemand (CSOD -0.9%), GT Advanced Technology (GTAT +5.7%).
- Also included are Health Care names: Agios Pharmaceuticals (AGIO -1.1%), NPS Pharma (NPSP +0.7%), NuVasive (NUVA -1.8%), Synageva (GEVA -1.6%); Consumer Staples: Darling Ingredients (DAR -0.8%); Materials: Axiall (AXLL -1%), Boise Cascade (BCC -0.9%); Industrials: Granite Construction (GVA +0.7%), Financials: MGIC Investment (MTG +1.2%), Radian (RDN +1.7%).
Aug. 5, 2014, 9:17 AM
Aug. 5, 2014, 7:10 AM
- Office Depot (NYSE:ODP) reports consolidated same-store sales fell 3% Y/Y in Q2.
- Gross margin rate improved 40 bps to 23.0% during the period.
- The company ended the period with a total of 1,870 retail stores in its North American Retail Division, of which 1,067 were Office Depot stores and 803 were OfficeMax outlets.
- ODP +2.7% premarket.
Aug. 5, 2014, 7:03 AM
Aug. 4, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ACM, ACT, ADM, AEE, AKRX, ALLT, AME, AMSC, ANSS, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, BCRX, BLMN, CIE, CLDT, CNK, COH, CRZO, CVC, CVS, DWRE, EMR, END, ENZY, EXH, EXLP, EXPD, FE, FUN, GLDD, GTIV, GTXI, HCLP, HCP, HEP, IART, IFF, IIVI, INFI, IT, KWK, LIN, LPX, MDU, MGM, MMP, MSI, MWW, MZOR, NILE, NNN, [[NTi]], NVDQ, NWN, ODP, OXF, OZM, PMC, RBA, REGN, RHP, RIGL, RTI, SCMP, SCOR, SMG, SNSS, SPAR, STE, TDG, VMC, VSI, VTG, WLK, WNR, ZBRA, ZTS
Jul. 14, 2014, 5:37 PM
Jul. 7, 2014, 9:17 AM
- Office Depot (ODP) and OfficeMax announce they will match prices during the back-to-school season on products that are sold by a retailer that sells items in both stores and online.
- Analysts are watching the pricing strategy of the merged company closely to see if there is any potential margin relief heading into the BTS period.
Jun. 12, 2014, 8:52 AM
- Department stores (DDS, M, SSI, BONT, SHLD, JCP, KSS, JWN) showed sluggish growth in May. Sales in the sub-category fell 1.4% M/M and 2.0% Y/Y.
- As expected, building material & garden sales (HD, LOW) showed some late-spring strength. Sales rose 1.1% M.M and 4.6% Y/Y.
- The catch-all miscellaneous store retailers category (ODP, PETM) packed the biggest month-over-month pop of all at 1.8%.
- Full Retail Sales report (.pdf)
Jun. 7, 2014, 8:28 AM
- Steep cost cuts and merger synergies have helped guide Office Depot (ODP) back to profitability, notes Barron's.
- No-nonsense CEO Roland Smith has narrowed the focus of the company. The exec wants Office Depot to pursue the higher margin opportunities presented in business services.
- KeyBanc thinks the office supply giant could see EBITDA of $800M per year by 2016 as initiatives play out.
- The early innings turnaround has attracted value investors keying in on the potential for ODP shares to more than double.
- The wildcard in the mix: The FTC included online competition in a market review related to the merger of Office Depot and OfficeMax. That assessment leaves open the possibility Staples (SPLS) and Office Depot could merge one day without a regulatory roadblock.
May 27, 2014, 7:39 AM
May 20, 2014, 10:21 AM
- Amazon (AMZN +1.7%) trades higher amid a tough day in retail.
- There's nothing concrete on the table, but some analysts think the company has been stealing some market share from major retailers in Q1 and Q2 as consumers continue to evolve their shopping habits. Staples (SPLS -10%) and Office Depot (ODP -1.5%) come to mind.
- Starbucks (SBUX -1.3%) CEO Howard Schultz seems to have called the retail slide with his perception that a "seismic shift" toward online and mobile is beyond the tipping point (FBN interview, SBUX conference call).
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, IYK, IYC, FXD, SCC, FDIS, UCC, RHS, PMR, FSTA, RCD, UGE, PSL, PEZ, PSCC, PSCD, SZK
Office Depot Inc is a supplier of office products and services. It offers products including office supplies, paper, ink & tone, cleaning chemical & equipment's, monitors & equipment's, computers & tablets, office appliances, and school supplies.
Other News & PR