Fri, Aug. 14, 5:36 AM
Thu, Aug. 13, 10:47 PM
Wed, Aug. 12, 5:35 PM
Wed, Aug. 12, 3:46 PM
- China's moves to devalue the yuan and the potential for further devaluation have favorably shifted the risk/reward for stocks of precious metal miners, Deutsche Bank says as it upgrades Newmont Mining (NEM +6.1%) and Barrick Gold (ABX +5.2%) to Buy from Hold, citing improving balance sheets and share pullbacks the firm views as overdone compared to the move in gold prices.
- The firm notes 82% of ABX's and NEM's estimated 2016 revenues come from gold; Kinross Gold (KGC +2.8%) and Goldcorp (GG +4.9%) derive a respective 97% and 73% of their expected 2016 revenues from gold.
- Among silver miners, Deutsche Bank upgrades Pan American Silver (PAAS +6.1%) and Hecla Mining (HL +7.6%) to Buy from Hold, citing their cost exposures outside the U.S. and their respective 26% and 38% gold exposure.
Tue, May 12, 12:53 AM
Tue, May 12, 12:35 AM
Sun, May 10, 5:35 PM
- AMBC, APEI, ARCW, ARNA, ASEI, ATHX, BDE, CALL, CHMI, CLNE, CYTX, DEPO, DRYS, DTSI, EAC, ELON, FF, FMC, FMI, FTEK, FXEN, GBDC, GTY, HALO, HI, IPAR, IPXL, JUNO, LPSN, MBI, MCC, MDR, MNTX, MODN, MR, MTZ, MVNR, OME, OMER, ONTY, OPK, ORIG, PAAS, PEIX, PINC, PVA, RAX, REN, SCLN, SF, SFXE, TCRD, TEP, TRQ, TTEC, UNXL, VRTU, XON, YY, ZGNX
Fri, Apr. 24, 6:50 PM
- In another day of broad losses among in precious metals miners, Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) enjoyed a 6.5% surge following strong Q1 results that included impressive cost reductions in gold and copper production.
- J.P. Morgan analysts especially liked the strong first quarter at Batu Hijau and Yanacocha and the deferral of some capex that allowed NEM to generate $344M in free cash flows and pay down $200M in debt; the firm says full-year guidance could be raised if cost reductions can be maintained in Q2.
- Otherwise, it was not a good day for mining equities, following another drop in gold futures which tumbled to their lowest level in more than a month.
- NEM CEO Gary Goldberg expects gold prices to gain ~25% to $1,500/oz. by 2020 on rising demand from China and a weaker dollar; for now, Goldberg says the strong U.S. dollar is “definitely having an adverse effect” on gold prices, and he expects the dollar will “eventually come back off of its highs in the next couple of years."
- In today's trade: ABX -0.9%, AU -4.2%, GG -2.6%, SBGL -7.7%, GOLD -2%, AUY -2.5%, NGD -1.9%, GFI -4.4%, SLW -1%, PAAS -1.6%, EGO -4.1%, RGLD -2.7%, FNV -2.1%, KGC -0.4%, IAG -1.4%, BTG -1.9%, HL -1.9%, AGI -1.6%, AUQ -3.1%.
Wed, Apr. 22, 6:36 PM
- Gold tumbled today to its sharpest single session loss in more than six weeks, after the strong U.S. existing home sales report that raised expectations for a Fed interest rate hike in June.
- U.S. gold futures for June delivery fell $16.20 (-1.4%) to settle at $1,186.90/oz., while silver fell 1.3% to $15.77.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX -3.4%, AU -4%, GG -2.8%, SBGL -6.8%, GOLD -1.5%, AUY -3.7%, NG -1.9%, GFI -5%, SLW -2.1%, PAAS -3.5%, NEM -3.1%, EGO -1.4%, RGLD -2.1%, FNV -3.4%, KGC -1.7%, IAG -4.1%, BTG -2.5%, HL -3.8%, AGI -5.4%, AUQ -4.4%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, SGDM, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, DBS, DGZ, RING, DGLD, AGOL, PSAU, USV, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR, GDXX
Wed, Apr. 8, 5:46 PM
- McEwen Mining (NYSE:MUX) fell 5.6% in today's trade after yesterday's news that 900 kg of gold-bearing concentrate containing 7K oz. of gold - ~$8.4M in potential revenue - was stolen from its refinery in Mexico's Sinaloa state.
- Armed robberies of significant quantities of gold are not common, but operators in northern Mexico have been targeted in the past as the region is associated with cartels and gangs.
- The robbery raises concerns about other companies with exposure in northern Mexico, which include AGI, AUQ, CDE, PPP and TGD; among those with operations nearby are GG, PAAS, GPL, OTCPK:FNLPF and OTCQX:SMNPF.
Fri, Mar. 6, 2:42 PM
- Precious metals miners are bludgeoned as April Comex gold tumbles 2.7% to $1,164.30/oz. for its lowest settlement of the year so far.
- The culprit was the upbeat February jobs report, which sparked fears that the improving economy will prompt the Fed to hike interest rates sooner rather than later.
- ABX -6%, GG -6.6%, NEM -7.9%, AU -6.1%, AUY -6.6%, KGC -7.8%, SLW -3.4%, GOLD -5.4%, EGO -5%, GFI -7.9%, HL -10.4%, RGLD -8.6%, FNV -3.2%, NG -4.3%, SBGL -6.4%, PAAS -4.3%,BTG -6.5%, IAG -6.2%, AUQ -5.6%, AGI -2.8%.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, OUNZ, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, WITE, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, BARS, RGRP, BLNG
- Precious metals mining ETFs: GDX, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, SGDM, PSAU, GDXX
Thu, Feb. 19, 5:55 AM
Thu, Feb. 19, 5:43 AM
Tue, Feb. 17, 5:35 PM
- ABX, ACT, AMTG, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, AVG, AXLL, BGS, BJRI, CAR, CDE, CSLT, CVG, CW, CYNI, DENN, DTLK, ELNK, EOG, EQC, ETE, ETP, EXAM, FNF, HSTM, HT, IAG, IPI, KEG, KEYW, LHO, LOPE, MANT, MAR, MHLD, MIC, MRO, NVMI, OGS, OIS, PAAS, PCYC, PKD, REXX, RGP, SBRA, SCTY, SIX, SNPS, SSS, STR, SUN, SUNE, SXL, TERP, THRX, TILE, TRN, TS, UAM, WES, WGP, WMB, WPZ, XPO, YUME
Tue, Jan. 20, 9:49 AM
- Pan American Silver (PAAS +2.2%) says 2014 silver production hit a record 26.1M oz., up 1% Y/Y, and record gold production of 161.5K oz., up 8% Y/Y.
- PAAS says preliminary cash costs for the full year of $11.46 per payable oz. of silver finished well below its forecast.
- For Q4, silver production was 6.75M oz., less than 1% below year-ago output, while gold production of 43.9K oz. was down 5% Y/Y; preliminary cash costs were $11.92 per payable silver oz.
- Says it expects similar consolidated silver production, a "modest” rise in gold production and largely flat cash costs for 2015.
Mon, Jan. 5, 5:30 PM
- Early-year pain for stocks has meant gain for gold, as February gold rose 1.5% today to settle at $1,203.90/oz., its best level in three weeks, as concerns about political upheaval in Greece and falling crude prices sparked a flight from risky assets; silver added $0.46 to $16.23.
- Rising gold prices also lifted shares of miner stocks, sending the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSEARCA:GDX) +2.6% while the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (NYSEARCA:GDXJ) +4.3%.
- Gainers included IAG +7.4%, HL +3.1%, GOLD +2.4%, KGC +1.7%, NG +8.4%, EGO +4.7%, EXK +4.8%, RGLD +2.4%, CDE +2.6%, FNV +5.3%, SLW +1%, PAAS +3.3%, AG +6.1%, SVM +2.9%.
- Of course, two days of gains in 2015 hardly make up for two years of declines, and Barron’s Michael Kahn is among observers suggesting that investors wait for clearer signs of progress before making a move.
PAAS vs. ETF Alternatives
Pan American Silver Corpis engaged in the production and sale of silver, gold and base metals including copper, lead and zinc as well as other related activities, including exploration, extraction, processing, refining and reclamation.
Other News & PR