Tue, Oct. 20, 5:40 PM
Wed, Aug. 12, 3:46 PM
- China's moves to devalue the yuan and the potential for further devaluation have favorably shifted the risk/reward for stocks of precious metal miners, Deutsche Bank says as it upgrades Newmont Mining (NEM +6.1%) and Barrick Gold (ABX +5.2%) to Buy from Hold, citing improving balance sheets and share pullbacks the firm views as overdone compared to the move in gold prices.
- The firm notes 82% of ABX's and NEM's estimated 2016 revenues come from gold; Kinross Gold (KGC +2.8%) and Goldcorp (GG +4.9%) derive a respective 97% and 73% of their expected 2016 revenues from gold.
- Among silver miners, Deutsche Bank upgrades Pan American Silver (PAAS +6.1%) and Hecla Mining (HL +7.6%) to Buy from Hold, citing their cost exposures outside the U.S. and their respective 26% and 38% gold exposure.
Fri, Mar. 6, 2:42 PM
- Precious metals miners are bludgeoned as April Comex gold tumbles 2.7% to $1,164.30/oz. for its lowest settlement of the year so far.
- The culprit was the upbeat February jobs report, which sparked fears that the improving economy will prompt the Fed to hike interest rates sooner rather than later.
- ABX -6%, GG -6.6%, NEM -7.9%, AU -6.1%, AUY -6.6%, KGC -7.8%, SLW -3.4%, GOLD -5.4%, EGO -5%, GFI -7.9%, HL -10.4%, RGLD -8.6%, FNV -3.2%, NG -4.3%, SBGL -6.4%, PAAS -4.3%,BTG -6.5%, IAG -6.2%, AUQ -5.6%, AGI -2.8%.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, OUNZ, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, WITE, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, BARS, RGRP, BLNG
- Precious metals mining ETFs: GDX, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, SGDM, PSAU, GDXX
Tue, Jan. 20, 9:49 AM
- Pan American Silver (PAAS +2.2%) says 2014 silver production hit a record 26.1M oz., up 1% Y/Y, and record gold production of 161.5K oz., up 8% Y/Y.
- PAAS says preliminary cash costs for the full year of $11.46 per payable oz. of silver finished well below its forecast.
- For Q4, silver production was 6.75M oz., less than 1% below year-ago output, while gold production of 43.9K oz. was down 5% Y/Y; preliminary cash costs were $11.92 per payable silver oz.
- Says it expects similar consolidated silver production, a "modest” rise in gold production and largely flat cash costs for 2015.
Dec. 30, 2014, 4:18 PM
- With the dollar falling against the yen and pound and a minor flight to safety afoot - Treasurys are higher, stocks have closed moderately lower - COMEX gold is up 1.4% today to $1,197/oz., and COMEX silver is up 2.6% to $16.20/oz. The gains have provided a lift to the volatile/beaten-down shares of gold and silver miners.
- Notable gold gainers: IAG +11.7%. ABX +3.6%. AUY +5.2%. NEM +3.6%. GG +4.6%. AU +4.2%. SBGL +4.9%. KGC +4.1%. AGI +5%. AEM +5.1%.
- Notable silver gainers: AG +7.6%. SVM +7.1%. SSRI +6.2%. SVM +6.4%. PAAS +3.9%. SVLC +5.2%. EXK +6.9%.
- ETFs with 3%+ gains: NUGT +10.1%. GDXJ +5.1%. USLV +9.7%. UBG +5.4%. USV +3.8%. SIVR +3.4%. AGQ +6.3%. BAR +3.2%. DBS +3.2%.
- The group rallied on Friday after the PBOC relaxed lending rules for banks, but sold off on Monday.
Dec. 26, 2014, 3:34 PM
- Spurred by hopes China's efforts to relax lending rules are a sign that broader (inflation-boosting) stimulus efforts are on tap, gold and silver prices are rallying, and taking the shares of miners up with them. COMEX gold is up 1.8% to $1,194.50/oz., and COMEX silver is up 2.5% to $16.11/oz. GLD +1.7%. SLV +2.2%.
- Gold stocks: AUY +3%. GG +4.6%. AGI +4.1%. ABX +3.4%. KGC +3.7%. GFI +3.7%.
- Silver stocks: SLW +2.3%. SSRI +6.9%. PAAS +1.9%. AG +3.6%. CDE +4.1%. HL +4.2%. SVM +6.8%. EXK +5.4%. TAHO +5.3%.
- Like many other commodities names, the group was hit hard a month ago when crude prices plunged in response to OPEC's decision to leave oil production unchanged.
- ETFs: AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, OUNZ, DGL, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, TBAR, USV, UBG, GLDE, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, BARS, GGBP
Nov. 28, 2014, 1:21 PM
- Already hit hard over the last two years by declining prices, gold and silver miners saw more pain today as commodity stocks in general got hammered thanks to OPEC's decision not to slash crude production.
- Decliners: ABX -8%. GG -6.1%. AUY -9.8%. KGC -8.2%. GFI -9.9%. SLW -7%. NEM -5.8%. AGI -6.9%. PAAS -9%. AG -15.4%. SSRI -11.6%. CDE -11.4%. HL -8.8%. TAHO -7.8%.
- Previous: Precious metals slide alongside oil; Swiss vote ahead
Nov. 14, 2014, 9:44 AM
- Pan American Silver (PAAS -2.9%) opens sharply lower after reporting Q3 earnings and revenues that fell short of analyst expectations.
- PAAS consolidated production YTD was 19.4M oz. of silver and 117.6K oz. of gold, within the company's forecast for the first three quarters; management believes PAAS will achieve its original FY 2014 production guidance of 25.75M-26.75M oz. of silver and 155K-165K oz. of gold.
- Raises its 2014 production guidance to 44K metric tons of zinc, 15K metric tons of lead and 8K metric tons of copper.
Oct. 6, 2014, 2:45 PM
- Gold prices bounce off 15-month lows to reclaim $1,200/oz. as the dollar rally pauses, helping strengthen shares of precious metals miners: AU +4.4%, GFI +3%, IAG +1.9%, BTG +3%, GG +2.2%, NGD +1.5%, KGC +1.6%, AGI +1.6%, RGLD +1%, SLW +2.1%.
- Sterne Agee analysts Michael Dudas and Satyadeep Jain foresee gold and silver prices trending higher, with gold averaging $1,400/oz. in 2015 and $1,450 in 2016 and silver averaging $19 next year and $21 in 2016, as “global demand remains firm, liquidity remains ample and the dollar appears overbought.”
- With investor sentiment still skeptical, Sterne thinks any supportive macro news flow could provide fuel for a rally; the firm rate Newmont Mining (NEM +1.5%), Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM +2.4%), Coeur Mining (CDE +1.3%) and Gold Resource (GORO +0.2%) as Buys, with Barrick Gold (ABX +0.5%), Hecla Mining (HL +4.3%) and Pan American Silver (PAAS +1.5%) rated Neutral.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, DGL, DBS, DGZ, OUNZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, GLDE, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, RGRP, BARS, GGBP, BLNG
Aug. 14, 2014, 2:16 PM
- Silver Wheaton (SLW -5.3%) and Pan American Silver (PAAS -5.3%) are both sharply lower as low silver prices combined with still-high costs combine to weigh on Q2 results.
- SLW said its silver equiv. realized price fell from $23.05/oz. a year ago to $19.83 in this year's Q2; gold sales accounted for ~30% of sales, and SLW’s realized gold price of $1,295/oz. was included in a 14% drop in the silver equiv. price.
- In Q2 results for PAAS, the average realized price for silver was $19.58/oz., down from $22.68 in the year-ago quarter; gold, which accounts for ~25% of sales, also suffered, fetching $1,289/oz.vs. $1,423 a year ago.
- ETFs: AGQ, USLV, ZSL, DSLV, DBS, USV
Jul. 21, 2014, 2:55 PM
- Pan American Silver (PAAS -1.6 %) says the strike at its San Vicente mine in Bolivia, which began on July 7, has been settled and production activities at the mine have resumed.
- PAAS says there is a "reasonable probability" that San Vicente will still be able to achieve its full-year production forecast of 3.9M-4M oz. of silver for 2014.
Apr. 22, 2014, 7:55 AM
- Gold and silver equities now appear more fairly valued, Goldman Sachs says, raising its sector coverage view to Neutral as it sees more responsible capital allocation, successful cost cutting initiatives, a refocus on maximizing free cash flow, and sound strategic portfolio optimization improving the positioning of select companies and offsetting its below-consensus outlook for commodity prices ($1,200/oz. gold from 2015 forward).
- The firm upgrades Barrick Gold (ABX) to Buy, believing the company's financial flexibility has significantly improved; ABX +1.8% premarket.
- B2Gold (BTG) is initiated with a Buy rating and C$4.20 price target, as Goldman cites imminent production growth from the Otjikoto project which enhances BTG’s free cash flow generation and should fund future development.
- Started at Neutral: AGI, FNV, BVN,.
- Maintained at Buy: GG, AUY, SLV.
- Sell: IAG, EGO, PAAS.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, JDST, GGGG, PSAU
Mar. 3, 2014, 9:55 AM
- Gold futures are surging in the wake of the crisis in Ukraine, and that's giving precious metals miners a big boost in early trading.
- AU +5.2%, GOLD +5%, GFI +4.6%, MUX +4.1%, BVN +3.9%, MVG +3.6%, SSRI +3.3%, IAG +3.2%, BTG +3.1%, HMY +3.1%, EXK +3.1%, ABX +2.8%, AUY +2.8%, SA +2.8%, SLW +2.7%, GG +2.7%, NEM +2.6%, HL +2.6%, KGC +2.3%, AGI +2.2%, AG +1.9%, NG +1.9%, PPP +1.8%, AUQ +1.6%, PAAS +1.2%, NGD +1%.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, GGGG, JDST, PSAU
Feb. 25, 2014, 2:58 PM
- Pan American Silver (PAAS -1.9%) is downgraded to Sell from Neutral with a $10 price target at Goldman Sachs, which forecasts silver at $21.80/oz. from 2015 onwards, driven by a lack of supply-side response.
- While PAAS has a strong balance sheet, the revised silver price deck suggests the company's ability to generate free cash flow is limited, the firm says.
- ETFs: SLV, AGQ, SIVR, USLV, ZSL, DSLV, DBS, SLVO, USV.
Jan. 29, 2014, 9:49 AM
- As equities open in a broad-based decline, precious metals miners show early strength: ABX +4.1%, NG +4.1%, EXK +3.7%, GG +3.7%, IAG +3.3%, SA +2.9%, AG +2.8%, SSRI +3.1%, AUY +2.7%, GOLD +2.5%, NEM +2.3%, MVG +2.3%, SLW +2.2%, PAAS +2.2%, AU +2.1%, KGC +2.2% (Briefing.com).
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, PHYS, DUST, SIL, SIVR, USLV, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DSLV, DBS, SLVP, GLTR, DGZ, AGOL, DBP, JNUG, DGLD, GLDI, RING, GGGG, SLVO, WITE, SILJ, PSAU, TBAR, JDST, USV, UBG, JJP, RGRP, BLNG.
Jan. 21, 2014, 3:37 PM
- Pan American Silver (PAAS +1.8%) said Monday it produced 6.8M oz. of silver at its seven operating mines during Q4 and set a new consolidated production record of 26M silver oz. for FY 2013, in-line with the upper end of its annual guidance.
- Preliminary consolidated cash costs were $9.56/oz. of silver, down 19% Y/Y; full-year cash costs of $10.81/oz. of silver fell 10% from 2012.
- PAAS also said it set a new quarterly record for gold production at 46.2K oz., boosting its FY 2013 output to a record 149.8K oz., which also beat the company's guidance.
Pan American Silver Corp is engaged in the production and sale of silver, gold and base metals including copper, lead and zinc as well as other related activities, including exploration, extraction, processing, refining and reclamation.
Other News & PR