Mon, Nov. 9, 7:53 AM
- UBS initiates coverage on Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR) with a Sell rating.
- The investment firm thinks margins at Pier 1 will be pressured by a higher mix of e-commerce sales, while top line growth will be tougher with new competitors on the scene.
- Shares are assigned a price target of $7.00 vs. Friday's close of $8.19.
Tue, Oct. 13, 10:54 AM
- ICSC forecasts holiday retail sales will increase 3.3%. The mark is lower than the estimates from the NRF (+3.7%) and FTI Consulting (+3.9%).
- The research firm sees the furniture/home furnishings category (BSET, PIR, WSM, ETH, KIRK, HOFT, RH, KIRK) leading the way with sales growth of 4.9%.
- The estimates for the electronics and appliance stores category (BBY, CONN, HGG, WHR) is on the sluggish end with an 1.1% gain seen.
- The average yearly gain in holiday retail sales over the last ten years is +1.8%.
Tue, Sep. 29, 3:28 PM
- Shares of Pier 1 Imports (PIR -9.4%) decline sharply to etch out new 52-week lows.
- The company's weak Q2 earnings report and cut in guidance last week are still weighing heavily on trading sentiment.
- SA contributor Vince Martin has a breakdown on the collapse of Pier. He thinks the home furniture retailer could be the target of an activist investor if the stock remains under pressure.
- Previously: Pier 1 -8% as earnings disappoint, guidance is cut again (Sept. 24)
Fri, Sep. 25, 9:12 AM
Thu, Sep. 24, 5:37 PM
Thu, Sep. 24, 4:58 PM
- Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR) -7.8% AH, tumbling to five-year lows, after missing FQ2 earnings and revenue estimates, and guiding FQ3 and FY 2016 earnings below consensus.
- PIR now sees Q3 EPS of $0.10-$0.14 vs. $0.23 analyst consensus estimate, saying margins for the quarter were hurt by increased promotional and clearance activity; Q3 comps rose 2.5%, or 3.8% on a constant currency basis.
- PIR also sees EPS for the fiscal year ending February 2016 of $0.56-$0.64 vs. earlier guidance of $0.83-$0.87 and $0.82 consensus.
- It is the company's seventh downside guidance given in less than two years.
Thu, Sep. 24, 4:06 PM
Wed, Sep. 23, 5:35 PM
Thu, Aug. 13, 8:50 AM
- The furniture and home furnishing stores category RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCPK:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET, WSM, RH, KIRK outperformed in today's report on retail sales.
- Sales were up 0.8 Y/Y and 6.1% Y/Y in July for the housing-related category.
- Department stores (KSS, JCP, SHLD, JWN, M) showed sluggish traffic trends again, sales were down 0.8% M/M and slumped 2.7% Y/Y.
- Sales in the food services category were up a solid 9.0% Y/Y.
- U.S. Census Bureau Retail Sales report (.pdf)
- Previously: July U.S. Retail Sales: +0.6% (Aug. 13 2015)
Thu, Jun. 25, 4:59 PM
Thu, Jun. 18, 9:22 AM
Wed, Jun. 17, 5:37 PM
Wed, Jun. 17, 4:07 PM
Tue, Jun. 16, 5:35 PM
Mon, Jun. 1, 7:23 AM
Tue, Apr. 14, 9:09 AM
- The furniture and home furnishing stores category in the March Retail Sales report outperformed most other businesses.
- Sales rose 1.4% M/M and 3.8% Y/Y during the month.
- The sector was on watch to see if there was any continued spillover impact from the West Coast slowdown.
- Furniture/home furnishing stocks: RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCQB:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET, KIRK, WSM.
- Retail Sales report (.pdf)
Pier 1 Imports Inc is a specialty retailer of imported decorative home furnishings and gifts in the North America. It conducts business as one operating segment and operates stores in the United States and Canada under the name Pier 1 Imports.
Other News & PR