Catching Up On PowerSecure
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Can PowerSecure's Odd Mix Generate Real Cash Flow?
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
PowerSecure's Breakout Year Continues
Mar. 31, 2015, 3:11 PM
- Only a handful of tech companies are posting outsized gains or losses amid a 0.6% drop for the Nasdaq.
- Notable gainers include three Chinese firms: CDN owner ChinaCache (CCIH +18.8%), online classifieds provider 58.com (WUBA +7.1%), and online retailer LightInTheBox (LITB +5.9%). Others include hybrid storage array upstart Nimble Storage (NMBL +4.7%), distributed power system/software provider PowerSecure (POWR +5.8%), and 3D measurement/imaging hardware provider FARO Technologies (FARO +4%).
- Notable decliners include supercomputer maker Cray (CRAY -4.1%), data management software vendor Varonis (VRNS -3.9%), and local services marketplace Angie's List (ANGI -5.6%).
- ChinaCache is up 34% since posting Q4 results on Thursday afternoon. 58.com is up 14% from Wednesday's close. Nimble is a day removed from putting to rest a fraud/trade secret dispute with rival NetApp. Angie's List is down 7% over the last two days, following the launch of Amazon's Home Services platform.
- Oppenheimer's Holden Lewis recently called FARO his top pick, citing the growth potential of its laser scanner line. Today, FARO announced a new software product for Autodesk's Revit building information modeling software.
- Previously covered: Infinera, Elephant Talk, Dangdang, CyberArk, Zagg, MaxPoint, Spherix, 2U, SouFun/E-House/Leju
Mar. 17, 2015, 3:17 PM
- Today's notable tech gainers include 4G modem/M2M hardware provider Sierra Wireless (SWIR +4%), Chines online auto site Bitauto (BITA +5.3%), energy tech hardware provider PowerSecure (POWR +5.4%), Chinese analog/mixed-signal chipmaker Vimicro (VIMC +7.7%), and enterprise cloud healthcare software provider Castlight (CSLT +5.8%).
- Notable decliners include mobile banking tech developer Mitek (MITK -7.8%), Chinese online classifieds leader 58.com (WUBA -4%), Taiwanese chip packaging/testing services firm ChipMOS (IMOS -3.4%), and financial site TheStreet (TST -5.7%).
- Sierra had closed yesterday near its lowest levels since Feb. 9. Bitauto had fallen sharply over the last two weeks due to the spending/margin concerns triggered by its Q4 report. Beaten-down Castlight is adding to the Friday gains it saw after filing its 10-K. ChipMOS rallied strongly on Friday after posting a Q4 EPS beat.
- Previously covered: Universal Display, NeoPhotonics, Vivint, Rocket Fuel, Vasco, Micron, Veeva, Qunar/Ctrip, GoPro, Chinese solar stocks, Himax, ExOne, magicJack
Mar. 5, 2015, 5:37 PM
Mar. 4, 2015, 4:07 PM
- PowerSecure (NYSE:POWR): Q4 EPS of $0.03 beats by $0.03.
- Revenue of $81.74M (+11.1% Y/Y) beats by $10.91M.
Mar. 3, 2015, 5:35 PM
Jan. 5, 2015, 8:14 AM
Nov. 10, 2014, 5:20 PM
- As part of a broader management shakeup, PowerSecure (NYSE:POWR) CFO Chris Hutter has been moved over to the role of COO.
- The backup power/smart grid hardware provider has also appointed "functional business leaders" for five units: Distributed Generation, Utility Services, Energy Efficiency Services, PowerSecure Lighting, and PowerSecure Solar.
Nov. 5, 2014, 4:40 PM
- PowerSecure (NYSE:POWR): Q3 EPS of -$0.02 beats by $0.06.
- Revenue of $65.04M (-20.2% Y/Y) beats by $0.78M.
- Shares +1.81%.
Oct. 15, 2014, 2:18 PM
- PowerSecure (NYSE:POWR) says it has been "awarded approximately $14 million of new distributed generation (DG) business, approximately $9 million of new utility infrastructure (UI) business and approximately $2 million of new energy efficiency (EE) business."
- The company expects to recognize the orders "fairly evenly from the fourth quarter of 2014 through 2015." Altogether, PowerSecure says it has added $215M to its backlog over the last 3 months.
- In spite of a market rout, shares are adding to the Tuesday gains they saw following news of PowerSecure's acquisition of Power Design's data center energy services unit.
Oct. 14, 2014, 11:36 AM
- PowerSecure (NYSE:POWR) has acquired Power Design's data center energy services unit. The business provides design, installation, and commissioning services for a data center's electrical infrastructure.
- PowerSecure is paying $13M in cash + up to $2M in earn-outs. From Q3 2013 to Q2 2014, the business had revenue of $24M and op. income of $7.8M. That suggests PowerSecure is paying less than 0.7x sales.
- The deal is expected to be slightly dilutive to Q4 EPS, and "meaningfully accretive" to 2015 EPS.
- Thanks to the infrastructure demands of Internet giants and cloud service providers, data center construction activity is expected to remain brisk.
Sep. 4, 2014, 7:32 AM
Aug. 8, 2014, 5:40 PM
Aug. 6, 2014, 7:09 AM
- PowerSecure (NYSE:POWR): Q2 EPS of -$0.12 beats by $0.03.
- Revenue of $57.1M (-18.6% Y/Y) misses by $0.4M.
Aug. 5, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ANR, AOL, APO, ARIA, AVA, AVT, BRKR, CEQP, CHK, CLH, CMLS, CNP, CONE, CSTE, CTSH, DBD, DISH, DNR, DVN, DWSN, EE, ELOS, GEO, GOV, GWPH, HFC, HNT, INXN, IPXL, ITC, KELYA, LINC, LIOX, MDLZ, MEMP, MVIS, NAVB, NUS, PERI, PH, PKD, POWR, RDC, RL, ROC, SBGI, SE, SEP, SF, SJI, SKYW, STWD, TAP, THI, TRGT, TWX, VC, VIAB, VITC, VOYA, WD, WIX, WPX, ZINC
Jul. 23, 2014, 3:47 PM
- PowerSecure's (NYSE:POWR) has been awarded $120M worth of distributed generation-related orders for utility-scale solar projects, and $20M in other DG-related orders.
- The utility solar orders include "a major award from one of the largest investor-owned utilities in the U.S. to provide two large-scale solar installations." The other orders include "new turnkey sales for a variety of hospital, data center, industrial and retail customers, as well as several additional solar projects."
- PowerSecure expects to recognize half the revenue from the two major solar projects in 2015, and the rest in 2016.
- Shares are poised to close above $10 for the first time since losing over half their value in May following PowerSecure's Q1 report.
Jul. 1, 2014, 5:36 PM
PowerSecure International, Inc. engages in the business of providing energy technologies and services to electric utilities and large industrial, commercial, institutional and municipal customers. It provides products and services through four reporting segments: Distributed Generation, Solar... More
Industry: Business Services
Country: United States
Other News & PR