Papa John's International, Inc.NASDAQ
Yesterday, 5:20 PM
Yesterday, 10:41 AM
Tue, Oct. 18, 10:17 AM
- Papa John's (NASDAQ:PZZA) is up 1.20% in early trading after some sparkling sales growth numbers were reported by rival Domino's Pizza.
- Investors are betting the news is positive for the stock on confirmation of a growing eat-at-home trend, backing away from concerns on market share losses.
- Papa John's is due to report earnings on November 1.
- Previously: What CPI says about restaurant traffic (Oct. 18)
- Previously: Domino's Pizza rallies after blazing sales growth (Oct. 18)
Mon, Oct. 17, 1:18 PM
- Same-store restaurant sales were negative for the fourth consecutive month in September, with a drop of 1.1%, according to data from Black Box Intelligence.
- Same-store traffic was 3.5% lower Y/Y during the month. Higher prices partially offset the traffic decline.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, QSR, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, HABT, NDLS, BOJA, PBPB, PLKI, FRSH, RAVE, LOCO, TACO, PZZA, KONA, BGR, BJRI, CHUY, FRS, CBRL, GTIM, TAST, WING, BOJA, ZOES, FOGO, ARCO, SHAK, YUM.
- Related ETF: BITE.
Fri, Sep. 30, 8:04 AM
- Papa John's International (NASDAQ:PZZA) signs a development deal to expand in Egypt.
- The company will open 18 more units with franchisee Vanatge Egypt.
- Vantage currently operates 36 Papa John’s restaurants in Egypt.
- “Vantage Egypt is one of our best success stories in the Middle East and we are proud of their growth,” says Chief Development Officer Tim O’Hern.
- Source: Press Release
Sat, Sep. 10, 12:17 PM
- The sluggish trend continues in the restaurant sector with same-store sales down 0.6% in August, according to the latest read from Black Box Intelligence.
- Same-store traffic was 2.7% lower Y/Y during the month to improve on the 3.9% drop recorded in July. Average guest check across the industry was up 2.3% to help offset for some of the loss of customers.
- Another weak month in the Southwest (sales -5%, traffic -7%) doesn't bode well for chains with a high concentration of stores in Texas.
- Though the broad read from analysts is that consumer spending is still tight in the U.S., there are also some concerns that restaurant chains are having trouble building brand loyalty with millennials giving their business to independent eateries.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, QSR, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, HABT, NDLS, BOJA, PBPB, PLKI, FRSH, RAVE, LOCO, TACO, PZZA, KONA, BGR, BJRI, CHUY, FRS, CBRL, GTIM, TAST, WING, BOJA, ZOES, PLAY, FOGO, ARCO, STKS, WING.
- Related ETF: BITE.
Tue, Aug. 16, 4:08 PM
- A major announcement from Ford that it will develop a 100% autonomous vehicle in 2021 could have far-reaching implications in a variety of sectors.
- “The first application of the fully autonomous vehicle will be commercial applications, whether it’s ride-hailing or parcel delivery,” Ford CEO Mark Fields told Recode. Companies that could be eyeing the implication of purchasing self-driving car fleets include FedEx (NYSE:FDX), Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), UPS (NYSE:UPS), Domino's Pizza (NYSE:DPZ), and Papa John's International (NASDAQ:PZZA).
- There's also relevance on Ford's big bet on autonomy for Avis Budget Group (NASDAQ:CAR) and Hertz (NYSE:HTZ).
- The trucking and shipping sectors (ARCB, KNX, MRTN, CGI, YRCW, HTLD, UACL, SWFT) will also be monitoring how autonomous vehicle technology fits into the future.
- Previously: Ford to produce mass market autonomous vehicle (Aug. 16)
Tue, Aug. 9, 11:05 AM
- Jefferies slides it price target on Papa John's International (PZZA +0.5%) up to $72 after digesting the "high quality" earnings beat from the restaurant chain. The PT is still below Papa John's current trading price on the view that EBITDA valuation is now at a peak level.
- Analyst Alexander Slagle points to the company's digital platform as a sales driver and he believes in the recent theory that more consumers now prefer to dine at home with takeout or delivery. Those are two trends that set up well for long-term PZZA investors.
- Slagle ranks #615 out of the 4,105 analysts listed on TipRanks.com.
Tue, Aug. 2, 5:03 PM
Mon, Aug. 1, 5:35 PM
- ACLS, AFG, AGII, AIG, AMED, AMSG, AR, ARC, AVD, BEAT, BECN, BGFV, BPI, BRKR, CALD, CALX, CAR, CENT, CERN, CHEF, CHUY, CLI, CLUB, CRAY, CSU, CXO, CZR, DEI, DVN, DXCM, EA, ELGX, ENLK, ENPH, ESE, ESIO, EXAM, FANG, FARO, FGL, FISV, FIT, FMC, FMI, FNGN, FORM, FTAI, FTV, FUEL, GHDX, GLUU, GNW, GUID, HBI, HCI, HIW, HRZN, INN, JIVE, KAR, KFRC, LOCK, LQ, MATX, MDU, MOD, MRC, MRCY, MXWL, NBR, NEWR, NFX, NOVT, NPO, NYMT, OCLR, OESX, OHI, OKE, OKS, OMI, ORA, PAA, PAGP, PAYC, PBPB, PLT, PRMW, PRO, PZZA, QRVO, QUOT, REXX, RGR, RIGL, RLOC, RPAI, RPXC, RUBI, SF, SGY, SLCA, SM, STAG, SUPN, SYRG, TMH, TNAV, TPC, TRQ, TRUP, TSRA, TX, VNOM, VRSK, VTAE, WMGI, WR, WTR, XXIA, Y, ZAGG, ZEN
Thu, Jul. 28, 6:05 PM
Thu, Jul. 28, 8:53 AM
- Donald Trump said he would like to raise the federal minimum wage to $10 per hour. The surprising disclosure came at a press conference yesterday in Florida, although he seemed to walk it back a bit later in the day.
- Hillary Clinton supports a $12 per hour national level, but is open to state and cities that go higher with the minimum wage.
- A higher federal minimum wage could pressure restaurant chains operating in states where the lowest pay scale in nearer to the $7.25/hour floor.
- Related stocks: CBRL, DNKN, DPZ, JACK, MCD, RT, WEN, BOBE, TACO, RAVE, BH, PLAY, IRG, DIN, PZZA, PLKI, SONC, LOCO, FRSH, BOJA, FRGI, WING, PBPB, NATH, FRS.
- Related ETF: BITE.
Tue, Jul. 26, 10:27 AM
- A harsh view on the restaurant sector from Stifel Nicolaus is based in part on its view that a U.S. recession could occur within nine months. The note from the firm also warns on a loss of pricing power by restaurant operators.
- Early Q2 reporters Starbucks, McDonald's (MCD -3.9%), and Chipotle (CMG -1.8%) already set a negative tone for the sector by missing estimates, but Stifel's downgrade on 11 different restaurant chains is taking the gloom to a new level.
- 50 of the 55 publicly-traded restaurant stocks with a market cap of over $50M are in negative territory today. Leading decliners are Noodles (NDLS -17.7%), Chuy's Holdings (CHUY -9.3%), BJ's Restaurants (BJRI -6.2%), Sonic (SONC -3.8%), Bojangles (BOJA -3%), Dave & Buster's Entertainment (PLAY -3.6%), and Red Robin Gourmet Burgers (RRGB -7%).
- Investors are betting that pizza delivery chains won't be impacted by the general trend of sluggish traffic. Both Domino's Pizza (DPZ -0.6%) and Papa John's International (PZZA -1.7%) are up over 10% over the last few weeks.
- Previously: Restaurant stocks on watch after McDonald's miss and Stifel cuts (July 26)
- Previously: U.S. restaurant traffic down 3.5% in June (July 15)
- Related ETF: BITE.
Thu, Jul. 21, 1:02 PM
- Domino's Pizza (NYSE:DPZ) is up 6% after comparable-store sales dazzle both in the U.S. (+10%) and internationally (+7%). Those marks look especially strong considering the sluggish comp growth across the restaurant sector.
- Domino's carved out a new all-time high of $146.73 in today's action.
- The pizza sector is hot across the board after a note from KeyBanc Capital Markets suggested that consumers are opting for at-home delivery over casual dining out due in part to civil unrest. Papa John's (NASDAQ:PZZA) is up 1.2% and nanocap Noble Roman's (OTCQB:NROM) is up 4.1%.
- Other pizza bets: Pizza Hut(NYSE:YUM), Pizza Inn (NASDAQ:RAVE), PizzaRev (NASDAQ:BWLD), Papa Murphy's (NASDAQ:FRSH), Pie Five (RAVE), Little Caesars (private)
Wed, Jul. 20, 7:32 AM
Fri, Jul. 8, 8:52 AM
- Canaccord Genuity warns on a sluggish environment in the restaurant industry during June.
- Channel checks show a decline in sales and traffic which is believed to be due in part to a heightened sense caution from consumers and uptick in gas prices.
- Canaccord estimates that U.S. restaurant same-store sales fell 2.0% to 2.5% in June.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, QSR, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, HABT, NDLS, BOJA, PBPB, PLKI, FRSH, RAVE, LOCO, TACO, PZZA, KONA, BGR, BJRI, CHUY, FRS, CBRL, GTIM, TAST,WING, BOJA, ZOES, PLAY, FOGO, ARCO.
- Related ETF: BITE.