Mon, Jan. 11, 4:38 AM
- JPM strategists note that earnings expectations have been managed aggressively going into earnings season. Four months ago, the "hurdle rate" for S&P 500 stocks was +5% Y/Y; now it's -4% Y/Y. “If this were to materialize, it would be the weakest quarter for EPS delivery so far in the upcycle.”
- Energy sector earnings consensus signals only single-digit losses, while oil prices are 36% below the 21015 average.
- Sees euro-zone earnings outperforming U.S. for second year running.
- Overall, firm says risk/reward for stocks is poor. Use bounces as selling opportunities.
- ETFs: SPY, QQQ, DIA, SH, XLE, SSO, SDS, VOO, IVV, VDE, UPRO, PSQ, SPXU, ERX, TQQQ, OIH, SPXL, SPLV, XOP, RSP, SPXS, QID, PRF, SQQQ, ERY, FCG, QLD, CRF, DOG, DIG, GASL, DXD, PBW, RWL, UDOW, EPS, DUG, SDOW, BGR, XES, IYE, VV, USA, IEO, SCHX, DDM, VFINX, IEZ, QCLN, FENY, PXE, IWB, OEF, PXI, ZF, FIF, PXJ, SPHB, MGC, SPHQ, PSCE, BXUB, NDP, RYE, QQEW, FEX, QQQE, VONE, XLG, JKD, FXN, EEH, SPLX, PUW, SFLA, BXUC, EQL, QQXT, DDG, ROLA, IWL, SPUU, ONEK, HECO, EQWL, EWRI, LGLV, ERW, FWDD, EQAL, ZLRG, FMK, CFA, SYE, CFO, LLSP, UDPIX, SBUS, USWD, USSD, DRIP, GUSH, OTPIX, QUS, RYARX, GSLC
Jan. 22, 2013, 4:57 AM
With S&P 500 companies retiring 8B shares through buybacks in the 18 months to October 2012, EPS figures are likely to get a surprisingly strong boost. It would be surprising because, as Robert Baird's Brian Rauscher says, analysts don't often factor in stock repurchases when making their forecasts.| Jan. 22, 2013, 4:57 AM | 2 Comments
See more details on sponsor's website