Thu, Jul. 30, 9:52 AM
Thu, Feb. 26, 3:26 AM
- Posting its seventh straight annual loss, Royal Bank of Scotland (NYSE:RBS) reported a £3.47B net loss for 2014 after booking a £4B writedown on the value of U.S. offshoot Citizens.
- The bank also named Howard Davies as chairman. Davies, the former head of the now-defunct Financial Services Authority, succeeds Philip Hampton, who is to replace Christopher Gent as chairman of GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE:GSK).
- Previously: Sir Howard Davies set to take chairman's role at RBS (Feb. 23 2015)
May 2, 2014, 3:28 AM
- Royal Bank of Scotland's (RBS) Q1 net profit soared to £1.2B ($2.02B) from £393M a year earlier, lifted by a significant drop in impairments at the bank's Irish division, and by not having to make new provisions for the mis-selling of protection insurance or toxic assets. Analysts had expected a loss of £200M.
- Pretax profit increased to £1.6B ($2.7B) from £826M, while operating earnings rose to £1.5B from £747M.
- Revenue fell to £5.05B from £5.16B but topped consensus of £4.7B.
- The common Equity Tier 1 ratio rose to 9.4% from 8.6% in December.
- RBS could float its Irish unit, Ulster Bank, The Irish Independent reports. Until now, RBS has been trying to sell a stake to a U.S. private-equity house or seek a merger with nationalized Irish peer Permanent TSB.
- RBS's shares are +9.95% in London. (PR)
Feb. 27, 2014, 3:04 AM
- RBS's (RBS) net losses deepened to £9B from £6.06B a year earlier, hurt by the setting aside of £3.8B for compensating clients for the mis-selling of products, and £4.8B of other impairments and provisions.
- The bank's operating loss after items widened to £8.2B from £5.28B in 2012, missing consensus of £6.7B.
- Revenue dipped 12% to £19.44B.
- RBS intends to slash £5B ($8.34B) of costs during the next five years and cut jobs as part of a restructuring in which it will refocus on its U.K. activities and merge seven units into three.
- The bank has also lowered its cost-to-income target to 55% by 2017 from 65% currently, which will necessitate cutting £50B of risk-weighted assets from its international banking and securities unit by 2020.
- RBS reduced its 2013 bonuses to £576M from £679M, although given the bank's massive losses, the payouts are already causing controversy. (PR)
- More positively, RBS is poised to raise £1.1B from the sale of its remaining 28.2% stake insurer Direct Line.
- Shares are -3.9% in London.
Nov. 1, 2013, 3:34 AM
- RBS's (RBS) Q3 loss attributable to shareholders fell to £828M from £1.405B a year earlier.
- Total income £4.89B vs £5.56B.
- Net interest income £2.78B vs £2.811B.
- Pretax loss £634M vs £1.37B a year earlier, with the bank taking a £496M accounting charge for "improved own credit."
- Core operating profit -12% to £1.28B, due to the strategic scaling down of RBS's Markets business, with income falling 9% and costs 4%.
- Group operating profit dropped to £438M from £909M a year earlier.
- One-off items totaled £576M, including £99M for regulatory provisions and an additional charge of £250M for the mis-selling of payment protection insurance.
- Basel III Core Tier 1 ratio 9.1%
- As flagged, RBS will create an internal "bad" bank that will ring fence £38B of toxic assets. (PR)
Aug. 2, 2013, 2:46 AM
- As expected, RBS (RBS) names Ross McEwan, the head of its retail bank, as CEO to replace the outgoing Stephen Hester.
- The New Zealander, who will start on October 1, will receive a base salary of £1M ($1.5M), although he will forgo his bonus through 2014.
- H1 net profit £535M vs a loss of £2.03B a year earlier.
- Pretax profit £1.4B vs a loss of £1.7B.
- Revenue drops to £10.61B from £11.69B, excluding the value of own credit and other one-offs.
- Takes a provision of £185M for the wrongful selling of payment protection insurance, and of £385M for undisclosed legal and regulatory purposes. (PR)
May 3, 2013, 5:09 AM
May 3, 2013, 4:46 AMRBS (RBS): Q1 net profit of £393M (versus £1.46B loss in Q1 2012) marks the first quarterly net profit for the firm since 2011. Impairments fall 26% and write downs tied to Ireland decline. Assets in the firm's bad bank fall to £53B. Results benefited from a handsome £249M DVA gain. | May 3, 2013, 4:46 AM | Comment!
Nov. 2, 2012, 4:34 AMMore on RBS (RBS) Q3: Net loss includes £1.46B accounting loss on fair value of RBS's debt. "Economic pressures are restraining customer activity levels and as a result banks are running hard to stand still," says CEO Stephen Hester. Bank says may face "material fines" over Libor manipulation and expects to start talks with authorities soon. Shares +1.45% in London. | Nov. 2, 2012, 4:34 AM | Comment!
Nov. 2, 2012, 4:30 AMRBS (RBS): Q3 operating profit £1.05B vs £2M last year and consensus of £714M; net loss of £1.38B vs £1.23B profit last year and vs consensus of £276M, with earnings hurt by an extra £400M provision for the mis-selling of loan insurance. Brings to £1.7B the amount RBS has set aside. "I can’t say there won’t be further" provisions, says the finance director. (PR) | Nov. 2, 2012, 4:30 AM | Comment!
Sep. 3, 2012, 5:19 AMRBS's (RBS -0.8% in London) Direct Line Insurance unit intends to cut jobs as part of a plan to save £100M/year by the end of 2014, although the firm didn't specify how many positions would go. The news comes as RBS looks to float Direct Line later this year. The insurer's H1 operating profit rose 7% to £224.2M. | Sep. 3, 2012, 5:19 AM | Comment!
Aug. 3, 2012, 3:50 AMRoyal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS): Q2 net loss £466M vs. £897M a year earlier. Operating profit -22% to £650M, in line. Sets aside £310M to settle claims over mis-selling of payment protection insurance, for costs from its IT systems failure in June, and for mis-selling of interest rate swaps. Can't yet say how much it might have to pay over the Libor scandal. Shares +4.2% in London. (PR) | Aug. 3, 2012, 3:50 AM | Comment!
May 4, 2012, 4:12 AMRBS (RBS): Q1 pretax loss of £1.4B, widening from a £116M loss in Q1 2011. Much of the loss came from changes in the valuation of RBS' debt. Operating profit of £1.2B vs. £800M consensus. Sets aside an extra £125M for PPI claims. Will repay next week the last of its state emergency loans and resume dividend payments on preferential shares. Shares +2.9% in London. | May 4, 2012, 4:12 AM | 5 Comments
Nov. 4, 2011, 4:16 AMRoyal Bank of Scotland (RBS): Q3 operating profit, excluding accounting gains from debt valuation adjustments, £267M ($428M) vs. £726M a year earlier and forecasts of £343M. Investment-banking revenue -29% Q/Q to £1.1B. Tier 1 capital ratio 11.3%. Sold £2.5B of Italian bonds in Q3, leaving it with £294M. (PR) | Nov. 4, 2011, 4:16 AM | Comment!
Aug. 5, 2011, 3:25 AM
May 6, 2011, 2:55 AM
Royal Bank of Scotland Group (The) PLC is an international banking and financial services company. The Company through its subsidiaries provides banking products and services to personal, commercial and large corporate and institutional customers.
Other News & PR