Thu, Nov. 19, 9:46 AM
- Weak guidance from Best Buy isn't going unnoticed by investors of Conn's (CONN -2%) and hhgregg (HGG -3.6%).
- Office Depot and Staples (SPLS -3.1%) are also lower on concerns over electronics sales.
- The retail sector in general has been very skittish this earnings season, despite some upside surprises.
- Over the last 30 days, the S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is down 6%, while the S&P 500 Index is up 3%.
- Retail ETFs: XLY, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, RCD, PMR, UGE, SZK, BITE
- Previously: Best Buy slides after holiday guidance disappoints (Nov. 19 2015)
Fri, Nov. 13, 1:09 PM
- Retailers are under pressure after the Census Bureau reported October retail sales rose 0.1% M/M, and core retail sales 0.2%. Consensus was respectively 0.3% and 0.4%.
- Also: J.C. Penney is down 13.6% in spite of posting a Q3 beat and reiterating its full-year same-store growth guidance, and Nordstrom is down 15.4% after missing FQ3 estimates and cutting its FY16 guidance.
- In addition to Target, TJX, Macy's, and Kohl's (previously covered), notable decliners include Ross (ROST -5.7%), Skechers (SKX -3.9%), Michael Kors (KORS -4.8%), Deckers (DECK -4.2%), Gap (GPS -4.1%), Ascena Retail (ASNA -4.6%), American Eagle (AEO -4.5%), Urban Outfitters (URBN -4.8%), Stein Mart (SMRT -5.4%), Citi Trends (CTRN -4.4%), Guess (GES -5.9%), Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF -5.7%), Chico's FAS (CHS -4.3%), and New York & Company (NWY -6%).
- Retail stocks were also under pressure on Wednesday after Macy's cut its 2015 guidance.
- ETFs: IYK, PEJ, IYC, SCC, UGE, SZK, XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, RCD, PMR
Tue, May 19, 10:03 AM
- Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) is up 1.62% and Gordmans Stores (NASDAQ:GMAN) has added 2.52% as a report from TJX Companies (TJX +3.1%) earlier today shows some strength in the off=price sector.
- Stein Mart (SMRT +0.2%), Citi Trends (CTRN +0.2%), and Burlington Stores (BURL +2.4%) are also out ahead of market averages.
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is -0.5% with retail giant Wal-Mart's Q1 report exerting plenty of gravity.
- Previously: TJX Companies outruns retail peers in Q1
- Previously: Bottom line pressured at Wal-Mart in Q1
- Related ETFs: XLY, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, RCD, PMR, PEZ, PSCD.
May 20, 2014, 10:21 AM
- Amazon (AMZN +1.7%) trades higher amid a tough day in retail.
- There's nothing concrete on the table, but some analysts think the company has been stealing some market share from major retailers in Q1 and Q2 as consumers continue to evolve their shopping habits. Staples (SPLS -10%) and Office Depot (ODP -1.5%) come to mind.
- Starbucks (SBUX -1.3%) CEO Howard Schultz seems to have called the retail slide with his perception that a "seismic shift" toward online and mobile is beyond the tipping point (FBN interview, SBUX conference call).
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, IYK, IYC, FXD, SCC, FDIS, UCC, RHS, PMR, FSTA, RCD, UGE, PSL, PEZ, PSCC, PSCD, SZK
Nov. 26, 2013, 10:19 AM
- There's plenty of economic data to mull over, but Treasurys are taking their cue from an unexpected decline in Consumer Confidence in November - this despite (or because of) the government returning to work and a stock market that won't quit. Those with good memories will remember the big drop in October was attributed to the government shutdown and chatter about default.
- The Expectations Index also declined - to 69.3 from 72.2.
- "With such uncertainty prevailing, this could be a challenging holiday season for retailers," says The Conference Board's Lynn Franco.
- TLT +0.4%, TBT -0.8%, and the 10-year Treasury yield is off 3 bps to 2.70%.
- Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, TBF, EDV, TTT, TMF, TLH, ZROZ, SBND, DLBS, VGLT, UBT, TLO, FSA, LBND, TENZ, TYBS, DLBL
- Retailing ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, PEJ, IYK, IYC, SCC, FXD, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK, FDIS, PSCD, PEZ
Dec. 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
The Direxion Daily Retail Bull 3x Shares ETF seeks daily investment results, before fees and expenses, of 300% of the price performance of the Russell 1000 Retail Index. There is no guarantee the fund will meet its stated investment objective.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR